What's teen program like on Mariner for 13 year old?

We're booked on our first RCCL cruise for Spring Break on the Mariner of the Seas. We'll be traveling with our 2 DD's who are 13 and 8. We've been on Princess 6x and Celebrity 2x. Princess's kids program has a group for kids ages 8-12 (Shockwaves). For our last two cruises, our older DD didn't participate in the Shockwaves program (except for the free arcade time) because at 12 years old she was the oldest kid there -- most of the rest were in the 8-10 range. She just turned 13 a week ago (two days after our Fall Break cruise on the Sapphire Princess). EEEK, I have a teenager.:eek:

Princess lumps all the teens 13-17 together. From what I've read on the RCCL website, it looks like RCCL separates the younger teens from the older teens. That sounds like a good idea to me, but can someone give me an idea what's offered for the younger teens? Thanks for any feedback.

We did the Mariner out of Cape Canavral when our daughter was 13.

She had the time of her life.

Prom, scavenger hunt, and parties, contest, face painting, (Not juvenile, kinda like KISS).

Pizza parties, swimming events, board games.

Let me just tell you she cannot wait to cruise with RCI on Freedom in July.

Take a picture of your 13 year old, the only time you will see her is at dinner, and of course bed time.

We also were pleased that they conducted educational experiences about not doing drugs, drinking, and such.

Highly recommend letting her have the fun.

Safe travels.

We did the Mariner out of Cape Canavral when our daughter was 13.

She had the time of her life.

Prom, scavenger hunt, and parties, contest, face painting, (Not juvenile, kinda like KISS).

Pizza parties, swimming events, board games.

Let me just tell you she cannot wait to cruise with RCI on Freedom in July.

Take a picture of your 13 year old, the only time you will see her is at dinner, and of course bed time.

We also were pleased that they conducted educational experiences about not doing drugs, drinking, and such.

Highly recommend letting her have the fun.

Safe travels.

I could not agree more with Sue. Our 13 year old DD had a great time on the Mariner. The only times we saw her was on our excursions, at dinner, and bedtime.

My son was 14 on our last sailing and had a blast. Make sure to have your teens go to the first night meet and mingle. Often times they make up their 'groups' that first night and if they aren't there it can be hard to get into one.

I agree, you will not see much of your kids while on board. Our rules were dinner excursions together other than that we didn't see him much at all.

Pinkmonkey, if you are sailing during the summer don't worry there will be plenty of kids your age, you won't need to hang out with the younger teens.

Archived