Passenger Health Form - Apnea Machine

seacrystal

Ive toured the ships De salisation dept on 3 ships on ships tours. The engeneer explained to us how the ship makes all the water used for drinking on the ships . The ships engins turn the sea water into steam then cool the steam to make water. The water is 99.9 % pure . There is a slight amount of salt remaning in the process. so ships water has a slight elevated salt content. Since you are an expert what is the diference between De sananated water and distiled water . Both are made by turning water into steam and back to water. This subject has been talked about here many times in the past 10 years . The ships use this for drinking water on all the ships ive been on . Recycled water is not used for drinking . Im curious how many cruises have you actually been on . Ive been on over 50 the last 30 years . You sound like a real expert. CARL

When you book a cruise, you agree to the Passenger Contract.
You might want to spend a few minutes reading the passenger contract before lecturing and browbeating others. Although pregnancy and it's restriction are clearly spelled out, the use and notification of electronic medical equipment is not. Medical conditions which may required onboard treatment, wheelchairs, oxygen and service animals require medical clearance.

You might want to pick up the phone and have Princess calrify the policy for you rather than just pulling the answers out of your... hat.

Ive toured the ships De salisation dept on 3 ships on ships tours. The engeneer explained to us how the ship makes all the water used for drinking on the ships . The ships engins turn the sea water into steam then cool the steam to make water. The water is 99.9 % pure . There is a slight amount of salt remaning in the process. so ships water has a slight elevated salt content. Since you are an expert what is the diference between De sananated water and distiled water . Both are made by turning water into steam and back to water. This subject has been talked about here many times in the past 10 years . The ships use this for drinking water on all the ships ive been on . Recycled water is not used for drinking . Im curious how many cruises have you actually been on . Ive been on over 50 the last 30 years . You sound like a real expert. CARL
Carl, just as an aside, I'm not sure how thngs are done on other ships, but being a bit of a geek I have been known to bring a TDS meter aboard on some of my Princess sailings. The tap water onboard has roughly 40-50 ppb of solids meaning either a fair amount of salt is left in or there is some form of mineralization happening. When the engine room provides distilled, it's closer to zero. CPAP humidifiers can get gunked up with minerals - I tend to just use RO water for mine at home, and forgo the humidifier at sea.

I'm definitely not an expert on De sananated or distiled water! I don't know about De salisation water, either. I've been on over 30 cruises.

Carl, just as an aside, I'm not sure how thngs are done on other ships, but being a bit of a geek I have been known to bring a TDS meter aboard on some of my Princess sailings. The tap water onboard has roughly 40-50 ppb of solids meaning either a fair amount of salt is left in or there is some form of mineralization happening. When the engine room provides distilled, it's closer to zero. CPAP humidifiers can get gunked up with minerals - I tend to just use RO water for mine at home, and forgo the humidifier at sea.

Yes.

I've never been asked by Princess about my CPAP machine and it certainly uses less electricity than a curling iron. Does Princess need to know about our electric toothbrushes used to prevent tooth decay?

Loved your quote! The wife has a WaterPic....Probably need to fill out the form. Daughter has a sonic cleaner for her dental plate.....Probably need to fill out the form.......

I'm definitely not an expert on De sananated or distiled water! I don't know about De salisation water, either. I've been on over 30 cruises.
Sigh. Haven't you learned yet about making fun of people's spelling and grammar? :rolleyes:

Sigh. Haven't you learned yet about making fun of people's spelling and grammar? :rolleyes:

Buddy, I think you may be engaging in battle of wits with an unarmed man! Go easy. LOL

Just a quick note on CPAP machines. A couple of years ago my husband asked the room steward for an extension cord for his CPAP machine. The room steward immediately brought one to him and just casually mentioned a form that he thought the cruiseline needed filled out for the machine. My husband went to the pursers desk to fill out the required form. They accepted his form but said it wasn't really necessary as their only concern was for medical equipment that could pose a problem in the event of an emergency evacuation.

Pearl

Buddy, I think you may be engaging in battle of wits with an unarmed man! Go easy. LOL

Just a quick note on CPAP machines. A couple of years ago my husband asked the room steward for an extension cord for his CPAP machine. The room steward immediately brought one to him and just casually mentioned a form that he thought the cruiseline needed filled out for the machine. My husband went to the pursers desk to fill out the required form. They accepted his form but said it wasn't really necessary as their only concern was for medical equipment that could pose a problem in the event of an emergency evacuation.

Pearl

Lol!

Actually, he's a she I believe, and a travel agent too. :eek:

Regarding the CPAP, that's been my experience as well, in that they aren't interested in the paperwork unless, as the contract says, it could be related to you requiring additional assistance aboard. Oxygen, wheelchairs, dialysis, oxygen concentrators, etc, is what their interested in. No matter how hard I try I don't think I could persuade the staff captain or senior doctor to drop by and change my air filter. :D

my recent EP cruise (Oct 11.). CPAP worked at the hotel the night before, but failed on ship. Powered up, but no pressure. Fortunately, wifey had a spare pair of ear plugs.

Did not fill out the form before boarding.

Went to the Med Ctr. on the first morning at sea (after a night w/o CPAP - 1st in 11 years). Med Ctr. nurse informed me they did not keep spare CPAPs on board - regardless of whether the form was completed ahead of time or not. Suggested we have a ships electronics tech look at it. Took CPAP machine to the purser's desk and filled out the waiver forms and they took it to the tech for analysis and possible repair.

The tech called room and left message inquiring if the machine was still under warranty because it was "new". Fortunately, I had acquired a new CPAP machine in January so it was still under warranty. When I called back and talked to the tech, he recommended he not open the case as it would probably void the warranty. I did not inquire as to whether the tech actually felt he could repair it - or if he had ever successfully repaired a faulty CPAP.

So, I just toughed out the week and got a new machine when I got back to the States.

In the future cruises, I will junk the Princess form and take my backup CPAP as it will most definitely be out of warranty.

Lol!

Actually, he's a she I believe, and a travel agent too. :eek:

Regarding the CPAP, that's been my experience as well, in that they aren't interested in the paperwork unless, as the contract says, it could be related to you requiring additional assistance aboard. Oxygen, wheelchairs, dialysis, oxygen concentrators, etc, is what their interested in. No matter how hard I try I don't think I could persuade the staff captain or senior doctor to drop by and change my air filter. :D

:Dand someone who has the ability to whine and have other's posts removed if the post criticizes them. Waste 10 minutes of your life and read through their posts......on EVERY thread they post on they're starting arguments with someone.....on EVERY subject. 30 cruises or not, they must have a very sad life.:(

As someone who's going to be using a CPAP in two weeks on the Emerald....thanks to all for their imformative posts!!

if your cpap is somthing you absolutely cannot live without and will affect your health very seriously in a negative way then please fill out the paperwork.

if you can deal with a few nights without it should something go array then i wouldnt bother.

i brought my cpap on our last NCL cruise and an extension cord and no one said a word to me about it and i didnt fill out any form.

i always keep a letter from my Dr stuffed into the bag stating its medically necessary for me to have (i keep this more for airlines) and ive never once used it. if i couldnt use it for a few nights all i would be is tired and cranky ;)

I don't feel it is necessary since it is not a condition that needs to be monitored by a doctor

i totally disagree with this. it IS a condition that SHOULD be monitored by a doctor. it *can* be life threatening. i go see my sleep Dr about every 6 months or so just for a check up. so many different things affect how you sleep and sometimes you need your pressure changed.

Several have mentioned extension cords with their CPAP. Sailing on the Emerald in a mini-suite.....are there no plugs close to the bed??

If the C-Pap user sleeps on the side of the bed closest to the desk area, then the plug in is easily accessible without an extension cord. If they prefer to sleep on the other side, then you would need the use of an extension cord.

If the C-Pap user sleeps on the side of the bed closest to the desk area, then the plug in is easily accessible without an extension cord. If they prefer to sleep on the other side, then you would need the use of an extension cord.
Is there a desk next to the bed in a mini-suite? Or is it across from the sofa area?

I carry a small adapter - the WonPro Nano - that's a universal plug changer. The bonus is that it also provides a second two-prong outlet on the top, so I just move the bed, upplug the 220V bedside lamp, plug in the WonPro, plug the light into the WonPro then plug my CPAP into the extra outlet. My CPAP runs on 220V as well as 110V.

What if you don't plan on sleeping?;)....teasing, this is our 20th anniversary cruise!:D If I wasn't trying to sleep, wouldn't need the CPAP anyway!! Thanks for the reply and to all those who are sooooo helpful!!

After an unfortunate incident in Melbourne when my CPAP machine flew out of my husband's hands across the hotel room when he tripped on the bed, we now always travel with two identical travel CPAP machines.

I have also recently invested in a small battery. It will power the machine for about 9 hours. It weighs just over 1 kg and fits into the palm of your hand. The cost is US$280. It is not compatable with a humidifier, but I don't use one anyway.

The battery is also ideal for overnight travel by air. It means that a powerpoint is not needed. We have had difficulties with arranging to have access to a pp in the past.

Another use for the battery is during power blackouts at night.

I feel very confident knowing that I have "covered all the bases".

My husband always sleeps on the side closest to the plug in. I guess we don't care which side he sleeps on as long as I get to sleep!;)

My husband always sleeps on the side closest to the plug in. I guess we don't care which side he sleeps on as long as I get to sleep!;)

I know EXACTLY where you are coming from on this one. :D

But to be fair, DH is also in a much better mood when HE sleeps. ;) It assists other passengers especially during the shows onboard, as he no longer falls asleep half way through and begins snoring. lol

I can't find this thread you are talking about. Do you have a link?

I think it got pulled. It was started by someone named "JoyceAnn" (second post), stating that she would be 29 weeks pregnant, was a Board Certified OB/GYN, and was going to cruise anyway, despite the 24-week cut-off. Her post basically asked if Princess would let her on "If I don't show that much"....or something like that. It generated a lot of heated discussion, including Princess asking you in their pre-registration form to disclose information about pregnancy and any other pre-existing conditions. "JoyceAnn" came across as being very arrogant, and only made one additional post. Most of agreed this was just trolling. I think the thread only lasted a couple of days.

Archived