Passenger Health Form - Apnea Machine

seacrystal

I was looking at the paperwork for my February cruise and on the Passenger Health form it says . . ."if you are using electrical medical equipment you need to notify Fleet Medical with this form."

I was wondering how many people that use a sleep apnea machine actually fill out this form to notify Princess? My DH has always carried his machine onboard without letting Princess know. I'm trying to decide whether to disregard this form or turn it in.

Thanks in advance. All comments would be appreciated. :D

I've taken my CPAP machine on board for the last ten years. I have never completed the form and have never been asked about it. Unless this is a new requirement by Princess I don't think I would worry about it. I used to take an extension cord but 4 or 5 years ago I began asking the cabin steward to bring one on the first day. The cords the ship provides are heavy duty power cords that are safer for use on the ship. I do take a power strip to give us extra outlets for charging batteries in phones, laptop, etc.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Thanks Rick! I had a feeling we might blow it off. My DH also packs his own power cord. I don't really know if this is a new requirement from Princess or not. If it isn't, I guess I never really read the form properly in the past. I appreciate your input.

I have taken mine on 2 cruises (different lines) and have not filled out the form. I don't feel it is necessary since it is not a condition that needs to be monitored by a doctor. I also always travel with my own extension cord. Sometimes need it for the pre or post cruise hotel too.

Jennifer - These machines are so easy to take anywhere. We have never had any trouble taking it anywhere. Jerry even took his machine on our river cruise in Europe with no problems. We just had to use an adapter. Thanks for your reply.

purplefan01 - Your answer makes a lot of sense and it is good to know in the future.

imsulin,

If we fill out the form, we have to fill in insurance information, have a doctor sign it and it is a pain in the . . .

I know. It's a pain in the a** if you get stuck onshore without your CPAP, and the ship has no knowledge that you need one or who your insurer or Doctor might be. Your local insurer/ trip insurance might be invalid if you don't declare a pre-existing condition to the cruise line that has asked for it. That could be a real pain in the a**! It's like the pregnancy thread on Princess that has generated three pages of discussion. It talks a lot about deception. It looks like you can take your pain in the a** now.....or later. Hope you make the right choice.

My husband & I both need a machine for sleep apnea. We will be sailing on the Jan 24 1010 cruise on the Emerald Princess. My travel agent notified Princess that we both need the machine. We did not fill out any paperwork. I know that she sent a letter to Princess. A nurse from princess called my husband and spoke with him regarding the equipment.

The TA also told us that Princess will provide the distilled water at no extra charge because it is a medical condition.

The only reason we have notified the cruise line that we are bringing a C-Pap is so they will provide the distilled water (I know that some say it isn't needed, by DH is very picky about the water he uses for the humidifier). If it wasn't for needing that, I wouldn't even bother alerting them to the fact that we are bringing it onboard. It is a bit different than needing a type of medical device such as oxygen. Of coarse, the machine keeps me from throwing him over board in the middle of othe ocean, so it is actually a life saving device in my mind (as I threatened several times before he got his) because of lack of sleep on my part (not to mention the poor neighbors that I am sure he kept awake nights on previous cruises). ;)

My husband has been bringing his CPAP on board for every cruise we have ever been on. We have never filled out any kind of paperwork on it and have never had a problem.

The first cruise we did have to ask for an extension cord, other than that it's been a "non-issue" for us.

I know. It's a pain in the a** if you get stuck onshore without your CPAP, and the ship has no knowledge that you need one or who your insurer or Doctor might be. Your local insurer/ trip insurance might be invalid if you don't declare a pre-existing condition to the cruise line that has asked for it. That could be a real pain in the a**! It's like the pregnancy thread on Princess that has generated three pages of discussion. It talks a lot about deception. It looks like you can take your pain in the a** now.....or later. Hope you make the right choice.

Wow... a little harsh don't you think? I'd hardly compare risking the life of you or your baby and outright lying on the medical paperwork with not informing a cruise line that you have trouble when sleeping. What deception? Its not a requirement that everyone fill in that form. It IS required if you are pregnant, however. Seriously, I don't tell them what medication I'm taking either and I'm pretty sure that that would affect me more if I miss the ship then my missing CPAP machine. I'll let them know about all of it when they pack up my stuff. I don't tell them I take shots that need to be refridgerated either and frankly, I don't think they care. I ask for an extension cord, the steward brings it and we're done with the responsibility. For the record, I've never been asked to fill in the form either nor do I think it necessary.

Wow... a little harsh don't you think? I'd hardly compare risking the life of you or your baby and outright lying on the medical paperwork with not informing a cruise line that you have trouble when sleeping. What deception? Its not a requirement that everyone fill in that form. It IS required if you are pregnant, however. Seriously, I don't tell them what medication I'm taking either and I'm pretty sure that that would affect me more if I miss the ship then my missing CPAP machine. I'll let them know about all of it when they pack up my stuff. I don't tell them I take shots that need to be refridgerated either and frankly, I don't think they care. I ask for an extension cord, the steward brings it and we're done with the responsibility. For the record, I've never been asked to fill in the form either nor do I think it necessary.

Not harsh at all! The Op stated that she was asked: IF YOU ARE USING ELECTRICAL MEDICAL EQUIPMENT YOU NEED TO NOTIFY FLEET MEDICAL WITH THIS FORM. The OP states that they carry a CPAP, which is a piece of medical equipment which needs to use electricity in order to operate. This may be something new for Princess, but it is obviously there. The pregnancy thing has been in place for a few years. If the cruise line asks anyone to fill out that ELECTRICAL MEDICAL EQUIPMENT form, it then becomes a contractual requirement. I feel badly that you don't understand this.

I have been on many cruises and carry mine on board. I run it through the security metal detector and only once was I asked what it was. I opened the case and showed them the Bi-Pap and not a word was said. I don't fill out the form and have never had a problem. I just ask the room steward for distilled water and he has always gets it for me free of charge. The nice tip I give probably helps keep me well supplied!

Not harsh at all! The Op stated that she was asked: IF YOU ARE USING ELECTRICAL MEDICAL EQUIPMENT YOU NEED TO NOTIFY FLEET MEDICAL WITH THIS FORM. The OP states that they carry a CPAP, which is a piece of medical equipment which needs to use electricity in order to operate. This may be something new for Princess, but it is obviously there. The pregnancy thing has been in place for a few years. If the cruise line asks anyone to fill out that ELECTRICAL MEDICAL EQUIPMENT form, it then becomes a contractual requirement. I feel badly that you don't understand this.

Don't feel badly for me. I understand just fine. I just don't think you needed to equate this issue with lying about a pregnancy and with repeating the a** three times in your response as if you feel the need to scold others. Your answer to the PP was condescending which was why I responded. So is your response to me.

How long the "pregnancy thing" has been in place is irrelevant. You referred to a thread where the OP intended to lie about a medical condition, which could affect not only her life and the life of her baby but the entire ship if she needed to be medivaced out. That issue has nothing to do with filling out a form for a commonly used piece of medical equipment. If someone doesn't have their CPAP it affects no one but that person. They are two separate issues and the seriousness of each is on a totally different scale. You really don't need to capitalize the words, I can read just fine. Judging from the other responses on this thread you feel the issue is more serious to report then the majority that use the machine. That's your perogative, as its mine not to feel that way.

I booked my cruise directly through Princess so no TA to ask about special needs. I would have declared my CPAP but was unaware until reading these posts. I leave on Nov. 1 so probably not time to do it now. At least, I will know next time to ask whether I need to have a medical form from my doctor. Unfortunately, just went to doctor earlier today before reading this thread. Do you think I can get distilled water anyway onboard ship or should I buy it in Fort Lauderdale which is what I planned to do?

Don't feel badly for me. I understand just fine. I just don't think you needed to equate this issue with lying about a pregnancy and with repeating the a** three times in your response as if you feel the need to scold others. Your answer to the PP was condescending which was why I responded. So is your response to me.

How long the "pregnancy thing" has been in place is irrelevant. You referred to a thread where the OP intended to lie about a medical condition, which could affect not only her life and the life of her baby but the entire ship if she needed to be medivaced out. That issue has nothing to do with filling out a form for a commonly used piece of medical equipment. If someone doesn't have their CPAP it affects no one but that person. They are two separate issues and the seriousness of each is on a totally different scale. You really don't need to capitalize the words, I can read just fine. Judging from the other responses on this thread you feel the issue is more serious to report then the majority that use the machine. That's your perogative, as its mine not to feel that way.

If your CPAP fails at any time during your cruise, and you get sick or die, it WILL affect the rest of us! I worked for four years with our State Mental Health Agency, and had two MH clients on CPAP. This was in a 24/7 residential facility. The machines were provided by a local agency and we had to undergo training on how to use them. The agency checked them weekly, provided distilled water, and staff was always updated. So - I know about the CPAP. I think you're just being selfish, and they (CPAP and pregnancy) are not two separate issues. I capitalized the requested information from the cruise line because: This is information that Princess wants to know, and is asking for. The other responders basically say they've gotten away with not declaring an electronically dependent CPAP for years...because Princess didn't previously ask for this information. Princess is now asking for this declaration, and it's now a passenger contract issue. Declare it or not. If you choose not to, your local/travel insurance policy may be invalid, as you chose not to declare a pre-existing condition to them or to the cruise line. It's my "perogative" to tell you this. If Princess asks you to declare and report your use of a CPAP, and you choose not to, then you are violating the Passenger Contract.

Ive been on over 20 cruises with 5 diferent cruise lines with my c pap machine ,no one even asks anymore they all know what they are . . The only thing I run into is My friend Bruce uses a O2- generator. All cruise lines want to know about this. Its a lot more than a C pap . I can get by without mine but Bruce has to have his. I fill out the forms for the last 4 cruises he has gone on . They have all power cords ready for his machine as it draws a lot more amps than my little machine .ALL of The ships water is Distiled on ship no need for special water . . CARL

The only reason we have notified the cruise line that we are bringing a C-Pap is so they will provide the distilled water (I know that some say it isn't needed, by DH is very picky about the water he uses for the humidifier). If it wasn't for needing that, I wouldn't even bother alerting them to the fact that we are bringing it onboard. It is a bit different than needing a type of medical device such as oxygen. Of coarse, the machine keeps me from throwing him over board in the middle of othe ocean, so it is actually a life saving device in my mind (as I threatened several times before he got his) because of lack of sleep on my part (not to mention the poor neighbors that I am sure he kept awake nights on previous cruises). ;)

OMG You made me laugh because this is SO us! Actually the neighbors would probably throw him over if I didn't. They might think something was wrong with the ship's engine. Seriously! I do know what you are saying. We had to get an adaptor for our NCL cruise. I didn't realize there was a form to fill out. Guess I should read more. We don't leave home without it! I've tried sleeping in the bathtub before at a hotel and that is NO fun. So we or should I say I make sure the BiPap is in hand.;)

Ive been on over 20 cruises with 5 diferent cruise lines with my c pap machine ,no one even asks anymore they all know what they are . . The only thing I run into is My friend Bruce uses a O2- generator. All cruise lines want to know about this. Its a lot more than a C pap . I can get by without mine but Bruce has to have his. I fill out the forms for the last 4 cruises he has gone on . They have all power cords ready for his machine as it draws a lot more amps than my little machine .ALL of The ships water is Distiled on ship no need for special water . . CARL

All of the ship's water is NOT distilled water...just like the regular water we use in the States is NOT distilled water - it is treated water. Treated water (safely drinkable) is not distilled (rid of nasty minerals) water. Cruise ships use desalinated sea water for pools, sinks, toilets, showers. CPAP machines use distilled water to avoid mineral build-up.

If my CPAP stops working I'll just deal with it the way I've dealt with it the first 50 years of my life. I'll manage through the night until I get home, just more tired. I don't know why your machines had to be checked so often. Mine requires maintenance about every other year. Training me how to use it took about 1 minute. What's to learn? You put the mask on your face and push the button. Its already programmed when we get it, it doesn't require daily reprogramming.

How I'm being selfish is beyond me but clearly you believe only your opinion to be right and I don't agree and neither do others or they would have filled in the form. That is all of our rights. Clearly we disagree on what needs to be devulged to the cruise line. I don't think they meant every miniscule medical issue needs to be declared. Otherwise, every "medical condition" like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, weak heart, bad back etc would need to be declared. I can make it through the night without my CPAP, I just don't want to. You don't know my medical situation so your opinion about it is really not important.

Princess has had this form for a long time, but, again its a matter of opinion on whether or not this is the information they truly want. My mother didn't need to declare her electrical nebulizer which IS life altering not to have, so why would I think I needed to declare my CPAP.

If my CPAP stops working I'll just deal with it the way I've dealt with it the first 50 years of my life. I'll manage through the night until I get home, just more tired. I don't know why your machines had to be checked so often. Mine requires maintenance about every other year. Training me how to use it took about 1 minute. What's to learn? You put the mask on your face and push the button. Its already programmed when we get it, it doesn't require daily reprogramming.

How I'm being selfish is beyond me but clearly you believe only your opinion to be right and I don't agree and neither do others or they would have filled in the form. That is all of our rights. Clearly we disagree on what needs to be devulged to the cruise line. I don't think they meant every miniscule medical issue needs to be declared. Otherwise, every "medical condition" like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, weak heart, bad back etc would need to be declared. I can make it through the night without my CPAP, I just don't want to. You don't know my medical situation so your opinion about it is really not important.

Princess has had this form for a long time, but, again its a matter of opinion on whether or not this is the information they truly want. My mother didn't need to declare her electrical nebulizer which IS life altering not to have, so why would I think I needed to declare my CPAP.

I agree with you. The other person could have said it a bit differently but was a tad rude about it. '

All I am saying is give peace a chance:)

Archived