Omelet Station

karatemom2

A recent thread on the Sapphire seemed to indicate that fresh made omelets were not available. We have always found them at the grill by the outdoor pool on each of our Princess cruises. It is our favorite breakfast and we always make a point to try to make it up in time to enjoy them. On our most recent trip on the Diamond they were also making fresh waffles at the pizzeria across from grill everyday.

Does this differ from ship to ship, or are some people just missing it because it is so removed from the buffet? I'm curious to hear from other experienced Princess cruisers and find out if this is something common to most Princess ships, or if we have just been lucky to find it on our sailings.

We have always found them at the grill by the outdoor pool on each of our Princess cruises.

Does this differ from ship to ship, or are some people just missing it because it is so removed from the buffet?

I noticed this on the Star Princess also, first time I had seen the omlette station in this location. Very easily missed, as much as I enjoy them I would not walk that far on a lot of mornings as it is very inconvineint. Others ships have had the omlette station set up on portable tables in the actual buffet area, a much better solution IMHO

I noticed this on the Star Princess also, first time I had seen the omlette station in this location. Very easily missed, as much as I enjoy them I would not walk that far on a lot of mornings as it is very inconvineint. Others ships have had the omlette station set up on portable tables in the actual buffet area, a much better solution IMHO

To my recollection, I don't recall Princess ever doing this. I think it's awful, since it creates unbelievable traffic jams. And so unsanitary too.

To my recollection, I don't recall Princess ever doing this. I think it's awful, since it creates unbelievable traffic jams. And so unsanitary too.

I've seen the omelet station in the middle of the buffet seating area, out by the grill (by not at the grill), and behind the serving area (where they cook) near the end by the drinks.

I think it may depend on the ship and/or who is responsible for the buffet as to where they put the omelet station. The omelets are SO much better than those eggs in the serving trays plus you can get an egg white only omelet with veggies.

In Jan we did a B 2 B on the Sapphire. The 1st week they had an omelet bar set up right outside HC in the covered pool area. 2 cooks were working it. One would ask what you wanted in your omelet, he would put all the ingredients together & the other cook wascooking them all. It was great! The next week they were not to be seen! I inquired & never really got an answer.

In the same area outside HC they also had a waffle bar set up. The 1st day we opted for the omelet & passed on the waffle. The next day they were GONE. Never again in the 12-13 days were they set up for waffles. Again we asked & this time we were told the equipment was down.

So the answer is;:confused: there is no answer.

When I say portable tables I mean just like they use to sell the soda products etc, covered in a table cloth. If you have ever sailed on the Sun/Dawn/Sea Princess ships that is how they set up the daily buffet specials under the forward dome area. Also how they did the afternoon ice cream etc. Luckily this class had a permanent station for the omlettes in the morning

Forget which ship had the omlettes this way but it was sure more convenient than having to walk from the buffet aft all the way past the pools just to get an omlette, then go back to the buffet area.

Forget which ship had the omlettes this way but it was sure more convenient than having to walk from the buffet aft all the way past the pools just to get an omlette, then go back to the buffet area.

We actually like the fact that it is away from the buffet, partly because I really hate the buffet especially at breakfast when it seems like every man for himself. It's not a particularly relaxing way to start the day.

I love going to the grill and getting my freshly made to order omelet. They also had sausage, bacon and hash browns available as sides and of course the wonderful waffles from the pizzeria. No need to go to the buffet at all. And we can sit by the outdoor pool, or go to the indoor pool if it is cool and have a great relaxing breakfast.

Come to think of it, the lines are never all that long, so maybe it is actually a really well kept secret. Perhaps I should keep it to myself!! :D

We actually like the fact that it is away from the buffet, partly because I really hate the buffet especially at breakfast when it seems like every man for himself. It's not a particularly relaxing way to start the day.

I love going to the grill and getting my freshly made to order omelet. They also had sausage, bacon and hash browns available as sides and of course the wonderful waffles from the pizzeria. No need to go to the buffet at all. And we can sit by the outdoor pool, or go to the indoor pool if it is cool and have a great relaxing breakfast.

Come to think of it, the lines are never all that long, so maybe it is actually a really well kept secret. Perhaps I should keep it to myself!! :D

This sounds VERY appealing, although I'd miss the yogurt from the buffet.

May I ask?...What ship was this on? Only been on three different Princess ships, and none had the omelets at the Grill area or the waffles as the Pizza area.

Not on Sapphire Princess on February 13th sailing. I did check outside of HC because on the 'other' line they had one set up away from the main buffet area. I thought it might be the same on Princess. There was no sign indicating you could have omelets made. However I saw it on a passenger's plate then inquired about it around day 3. This is a breakfast stable (along with around 5-10 other items:p) for me so was quite happy when I finally found out about it.

May I ask?...What ship was this on? Only been on three different Princess ships, and none had the omelets at the Grill area or the waffles as the Pizza area.

We have had omelets at the grill on both the Diamond Princess and the Golden Princess. We have been on the Diamond twice - once at Christmas a couple of years ago and again just this last summer and on the Golden twice - last year in April and last Christmas. The omelets were there everytime.

The waffles were new on the Diamond Princess this last summer and that was a very nice addition. They were really good!

We will be on the Golden for Christmas this year so I hope they have added the waffles too.

Last December, the CB had waffles outside at the pizza station but the omelets were inside in the buffet area.

Last December, the CB had waffles outside at the pizza station but the omelets were inside in the buffet area.
I wonder how long they have been doing that, I never knew it and my son asked for waffles everyday.:rolleyes: That is a strange set up.

I wonder how long they have been doing that, I never knew it and my son asked for waffles everyday.:rolleyes: That is a strange set up.

I'm not sure when they started making waffles on the CB but I think a lot of people missed them since they weren't attached to the buffet. They didn't seem overworked at this station, but the waffles smelled wonderful. I didn't try them, as I'm not a sweet stuff in the morning type person, I would have enjoyed one or two around 2pm.:)

What sorts of things do they have to go on the waffles - are there berries, orange butter, chocolate sauce? (Celebrity have wonderful waffles - I hope Princess do too!)

For breakfast it was just butter and syrup, but I heard that they were also making them as dessert in the late afternoon with fruit and whipped cream. That was toward the end of our cruise and I never had a chance to check that out because I was usually at afternoon tea. Maybe someone else who knows can confirm that.

For breakfast it was just butter and syrup, but I heard that they were also making them as dessert in the late afternoon with fruit and whipped cream. That was toward the end of our cruise and I never had a chance to check that out because I was usually at afternoon tea. Maybe someone else who knows can confirm that.

When free soft-serve ice cream was introduced, they eliminated the afternoon ice cream hour in the Horizon court and with it the afternoon waffles.

We were on the Sapphire for 2 weeks in July. On day two I found out that if you ask one of the gentlemen working the Horizon Court food line for a fresh omelet they will ask what ingredients you want and before you know you have it. They cook it the kitchen behind the line. :)

How is this unsanitary???? :confused:

I agree with Doug R. I would think this is more sanitary than the serving lines at the buffet where the serving utensils are touched by hundreds of people who wipe their nose, sneeze, cough etc. while there on-line after they use the disinfectant at the beginning of the line. :eek:

I agree with Doug R. I would think this is more sanitary than the serving lines at the buffet where the serving utensils are touched by hundreds of people who wipe their nose, sneeze, cough etc. while there on-line after they use the disinfectant at the beginning of the line. :eek:

In January on the Sapphire there was a station set up outside HC that had 2 cooks on 1 side of a sanitary covered glass food bin. It was covered or closed from the passenger side. Cook #1 would ask what you wanted; you told him your choices he would gather in a bowl, hand the bowl to cook # 2 & he would make the custom omelet.:) It was VERY sanitary & it was very good. Problem was it was open 1 or 2 days total of the b2b cruises we were on.

Archived