My brief review of emerald + fll

DONNALAKA

GREAT CRUISE ! {they all r to me ;) }

eastern ports = good itinerary.

ship has strange layout. can't get to here from there kinda thing. but, overall nice , new, large ship.

new converts to anytime dining !" table for 2 please" ºÜº {die hard traditional until this point} food in dining rm good. waiters good & horrible. buffet hit or miss. sandwiches ALWAYS soggy :( soups ALWAYS delicious :) front larger buffet area was also strange layout and hard to get a flow ... making it seem more congested than it really was. the rear was more traditional cafeteria layout.

one of the few cruise directors i really enjoyed. usually i have no opinion.

mandatory tipping is good in some respects {easier} , but....... y not just increase the price of the cruise and make it really all inclusive instead of tacking it on daily ? adds quite a bit to folio @ the end . i know, i know it's 6 of 1 : 1/2 doz of the other but .............

missed the balcony , but for the deal inside was ok. great location R740 .{rear near adult pool and bar, under the buffet but this wasn't a prob ie: noise} will prob. not look for inside "deals" after this tho . ;)

internet EXPENSIVE and SLOW. not worth the $ . actually a MAJOR rip off.

comedians/hypnotisit were great ! hard to get a seat in lounges unless 1/2hr + early.

we carried luggage off and taxied to FLL . made a 9AM flt :eek: we knew we were pushing it & it was touch and go d/t customs arriving over 1/2 hr late + the unfair albeit usual cattle call in the waiting area.{we were early to arrive but were positioned in the back of the rm } that said, it was SOOOOOOOOO nice getting to PHL before 1130 AM ! BTW this isn't the 1st time we made this timeframe however i won't be booking this early again {too much stress~guess getting older LOL !} oasis in jan esp d/t the larger # of people we will do an early afternoon flt ;)

FLL: stayed at renissance.{priceline} nice place, nice people. close to airport and port. will return.

we walked to the grocery and wine store. not far. loved we could bring a few bottles of wine legally LOL ! we still purchased from princess and used our personal bottles for staterm .

pizza @ gregorios bistro. located out the front of hotel to the left. make 1st right. in a shopping center near starbucks & ben & jerry's. the owner was esp nice and made us a pie and served even tho it was almost closing time.{11pm sat eve} wood burning pizza was wonderful . bar service {we had wine} also. will return for menu food in jan.

well thats the highlights i wanted to share. if anyone has specific ? would be happy to elaborate.

Thank you for the review!

Did you try anything to eat at the International Café or drink/eat at Vines on the Plaza Deck 5?

altho love wine we didn't spend much time @ vines but "heard" it was nice. tapas somedays.

international cafe was good. sandwiches on th ebuffet were always yucky ;) but on deck 5 they were fresh/good !

Is the pizza place, Gregorios Bistro, on the same side of the street as Renaissance, or across the street, sort of behind the Walgreens? Or perhaps somewhere else altogether.

not on the walgreens side. lets see.....

it's really close. go out front entrance, make a left . walk yards to the corner and make a rt. just walk maybe 2-3 blocks and it's on the rt.

Is the pizza place, Gregorios Bistro, on the same side of the street as Renaissance, or across the street, sort of behind the Walgreens? Or perhaps somewhere else altogether.

not on the walgreens side.{ i don't think anyway sry } lets see.....

it's really close. go out front entrance, make a left . walk yards to the corner and make a rt. just walk maybe 2-3 blocks and it's on the rt.

Thanks for the review...we'll be sailing in 3 weeks...I can't believe you booked a 9 AM flight!!! We would have obsessed about that all week!

can't believe we MADE the 9am flt AGAIN ! we r done pushing our luck. this saved us a few hundred $ ;) however if we missed it........... ;)

As everyone says , the chicken salad is to die for , all the desserts are good, all the pastries are fresh, the coffee was worth the extra $$ as well, try the lunch in the wheelhouse bar on sea days as well , you won't be disappointed,

To the OP....I'm looking at a 10:15 flight out of Fort Lauderdale in February and I'm really uncomfortable about it. My dh says to go for it, do carry our own luggage and arrange for a car service to pick us up. I have a few questions on your 9AM flight. What time did you get off the ship? How did you get to the airport? What time did you get to the airport? This flight would save us quite a bit of money so my dh is determined that we book it. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Same side of the street, a few blocks west on SE 17th St. I think it's called Giorgio's.

To the OP....I'm looking at a 10:15 flight out of Fort Lauderdale in February and I'm really uncomfortable about it. My dh says to go for it, do carry our own luggage and arrange for a car service to pick us up. I have a few questions on your 9AM flight. What time did you get off the ship? How did you get to the airport? What time did you get to the airport? This flight would save us quite a bit of money so my dh is determined that we book it. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

this was our earliest {0855} we have made 0930-1030am MANY times from FLL {maybe 4 x's} we carry off our luggage and just get a cab after exiting customs. it was stressful this time tho and u must be prepared to NOT make it & it possibly paying extra. we got to the designated meeting place at 0650 {they said 7am}oh beware.. hard to get an elevator. we were on a top floor and it was easier for us but still took 10min to get from rm to the meeting place} lots were already there but many came between 7-0745. kinda butting in line. :mad: the immgration officials were 1/2 hr late :mad:{suppose to be there on arrival 7am} . we filed in the dining rm and we ended up in the back . {bad luck} it was hard to tell where we would be leaving from but u should ask and position as close as possible w/o butting ;) once we started leaving the rm 0745, it surprisingly really didn't take all that long to herd us all. we were in the cab by 0800 to airport @ 0810 ish , no lines at curb side ck in {we had baording pass the night before.} all docs ready to be shown, no major delays thru security and the gate was very close....... all worked like a well oiled machine. however there could have been many opportunities for mishaps. we were at our gate in enough time to grab a bite and use the rest rm before we boarded {we were one of the 1st on board } , so we actually had time to spare.

ALSO, we did have a few people that took pity on us and did let us move alittle ahead in the dining rm {these were people that came in after us ;)anyway } lotswere NOT catching flts but driving home . i kinda thought maybe there should be a delination ? how they could do that fairly.

so there's the detailed story. i def think 1015am is acceptable , if u can carry off. they usually have the ship totally cleared by 1030 from what i gathered. if u will fret all wk {we didn't. just that morning} it prob isn't worth the chance. the cruise line recommends flts 11 and after.

GOOD LUCK !

Same side of the street, a few blocks west on SE 17th St. I think it's called Giorgio's.

U R CORRECT. SO SRY . here's a link .

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-Address&rlz=1I7ACGW&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Giorgios+Fort+Lauderdale,+Florida+(FL)&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Giorgios&hnear=Fort+Lauderdale,+Florida+(FL)&cid=11792641222903592045

Giorgio's Brick Oven Pizza

1499 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL

(954) 767-8300‎

Thanks for posting the review, I will be on the Emarald on November 29, booked an inside guarantee and still waiting for the room assignment. A couple questions for you, I have always wondered how much everyone else pays for a cab from the port to FLL - wonder if two woman are being "taken for a ride" each year - $20 before tip??????

Also we are staying at the Hyatt Place, how far is Giorgios from there, can we walk it? And also the Southport Mall with Ross and Dollar Tree, is that within walking distance.

Just wondering if you ventured to the French side in St. Martin or if you would know about taking a cab there.

Thx,

Heather

Hello to all. We just got off the Emerald on Oct 25th. This was our 3rd Princess cruise. The two in the past (2004 & 2006) were on the Caribbean Princess.

I must say I did have some disappointments, although nothing that would hold us back from going on Princess again. In fact, we are booked on the Golden next June to Alaska, and then we also did the future cruise deposit this time.

My disappointments were...I thought the crew was not as friendly as in the past. Although, our room steward, Leo was great! Maybe they were near the end of their 10 mo contract I don't know. In the past I thought they had a 6 month contract.

Dining room waiters didn't seem friendly at all. We had anytime dining so did not have the same table or waiter, so we had a few different ones and they all seemed the same, just ho hum type attitude. Service didn't seem as quick either, having to ask for refills, etc. Food didn't seem as good as in the past either, smaller portions too even though we can get as much as you like.

We also thought the ship wasn't as clean as in the past. Some bathrooms were out of soap or paper towels, and would see dirty dishes laying around the ship, etc.

We LOVED the International Cafe! At first, we didn't realize it was free except for the gilato (sp?) ice cream. That was $1.50 for 3 scoops, not a bad price. They pretty much offered the same thing daily though. Didn't have breakfast there but understood they had donuts, pastries, etc. Not sure if they had eggs or not. Lunch was croissant ham & cheese sandwiches that were good and always fresh. Shrimp, chicken salad with cashews was good. The pastries there were all good. Loved that addition to the ship.

Of course all the pools were crowded and if you didn't get down to get a seat early, like 9am, you didn't get a spot by the pool. And yes people DID save seats and NO the staff didn't do anything about it. Everyone did it.

The ports were all great although didn't seem like we stayed at them long enough.

A lot of talk on the boards about the coffee being from syrup. I don't know if this is true but I can tell you it tasted good to me. Always really hot which is a must for me, at least hot in the buffets. I am not a coffee connoisseur, but there wasn't a thing wrong with it. I'm so glad I didn't waste my money on a coffee card, although I don't drink the specialty coffee's.

One other thing that surprised me was they did have hand sanitizers when entering the food areas, but no where else that I saw. You would think with all this flu going around they would have had them other places and would put a crew member there to make sure you used them. It was like this on our RCCL cruise last year in Alaska, and we loved it....the fact that they were taking precautions for our own good.

All in all we had a great time! I don't know why anyone would not enjoy a cruise, unless you were sick of course.

GREAT CRUISE ! {they all r to me ;) }

eastern ports = good itinerary.

ship has strange layout. can't get to here from there kinda thing. but, overall nice , new, large ship.

new converts to anytime dining !" table for 2 please" ºÜº {die hard traditional until this point} food in dining rm good. waiters good & horrible. buffet hit or miss. sandwiches ALWAYS soggy :( soups ALWAYS delicious :) front larger buffet area was also strange layout and hard to get a flow ... making it seem more congested than it really was. the rear was more traditional cafeteria layout.

one of the few cruise directors i really enjoyed. usually i have no opinion.

mandatory tipping is good in some respects {easier} , but....... y not just increase the price of the cruise and make it really all inclusive instead of tacking it on daily ? adds quite a bit to folio @ the end . i know, i know it's 6 of 1 : 1/2 doz of the other but .............

missed the balcony , but for the deal inside was ok. great location R740 .{rear near adult pool and bar, under the buffet but this wasn't a prob ie: noise} will prob. not look for inside "deals" after this tho . ;)

internet EXPENSIVE and SLOW. not worth the $ . actually a MAJOR rip off.

comedians/hypnotisit were great ! hard to get a seat in lounges unless 1/2hr + early.

we carried luggage off and taxied to FLL . made a 9AM flt :eek: we knew we were pushing it & it was touch and go d/t customs arriving over 1/2 hr late + the unfair albeit usual cattle call in the waiting area.{we were early to arrive but were positioned in the back of the rm } that said, it was SOOOOOOOOO nice getting to PHL before 1130 AM ! BTW this isn't the 1st time we made this timeframe however i won't be booking this early again {too much stress~guess getting older LOL !} oasis in jan esp d/t the larger # of people we will do an early afternoon flt ;)

FLL: stayed at renissance.{priceline} nice place, nice people. close to airport and port. will return.

we walked to the grocery and wine store. not far. loved we could bring a few bottles of wine legally LOL ! we still purchased from princess and used our personal bottles for staterm .

pizza @ gregorios bistro. located out the front of hotel to the left. make 1st right. in a shopping center near starbucks & ben & jerry's. the owner was esp nice and made us a pie and served even tho it was almost closing time.{11pm sat eve} wood burning pizza was wonderful . bar service {we had wine} also. will return for menu food in jan.

well thats the highlights i wanted to share. if anyone has specific ? would be happy to elaborate.

We are booked for the 22nd of nov. in cab r725 Just wanted to know where do you have to go to get to the back pool, is there a door or something out the back or what? It looks like you may have to go up front than up steps and than go back.

but I just can't figure it out. Glad to hear that it wasn't noisy being it right under the buffet, I was worried. Thanks so much for all this wonderful information.

We are booked for the 22nd of nov. in cab r725 Just wanted to know where do you have to go to get to the back pool, is there a door or something out the back or what? It looks like you may have to go up front than up steps and than go back.

but I just can't figure it out. Glad to hear that it wasn't noisy being it right under the buffet, I was worried. Thanks so much for all this wonderful information.

Yes, you just go to the end of the hall, out a door (hold it while it shuts or the suction in the hall will slam it shut) and up 5-7 stairs and you are at the pool (it's basically deck 14 1/2), up another 5-7 steps and you are in the Cafe' Caribe buffet.

Jim

I always do a 10am flight and have no problem. Sometimes we carry are own luggage off and others we have let them take it and pick it up after you get off. We have always taken a cab and had no problem. However, I have heard in some terminals the security lines can be horrible. I fly Continental and the terminal is usually really quiet!

Thanks so much for your feed back. Now i know what to expect. Iam really excited to go but part of the fun is the anticipation. I love all the information you can find on cruise critic. Again thanks

Archived