Question About Roll Call Already In Progress

kooljamming

I don't mind joining roll calls and find the gatherings quite interest.

It's really nice seeing a familiar face on deck. However, the one for our sailing, seems quite active with months before our sailing.

Do you kind it harder to join a roll call after many members have been posting together for a very long time?

Mariner of the Seas......February 14th:D

Not at all. I've joined roll calls in progress and have been warmly welcomed and made part of the "conversation". I also started a roll call and there were many who joined rather late in the game and were welcomed as well. Once we met at the Meet and Mingle we were all just fellow cruisers! Don't hesitate to join in your roll call...you'll find out soon enough if you are welcomed as well (and I suspect you will be!).

My last cruise had a bunch of people who had sailed together previously and were chatting it up a lot. They welcomed me with open arms and those that joined even later than I did. It ended up being one of the best CC groups ever and we hope to sail with them again in the future. We are still conversing now a few months later. Go ahead and join in, enjoy the fun!

I sometimes wish there were two roll calls. One for social chats and one for information sharing.

Just ask the question you want answered and I'm sure you can sway the conversation in that direction.

Some roll calls are established so far in advance they are pages long more than a year prior to the event. I find that some of the longer ones are merely 2-10 of the same people, posting several comments each per day. Nothing wrong with that, they are just getting to know (or already know) each other. I've never been on a roll call where I feel unwelcome.

I don't mind the social aspects of a roll calls, though I am kinda shy and reserve:D;) Most roll calls I have done got going in the last few months/weeks, so this is a bit different. It feels like joining a 12 step program.

I am (Kooljamming) Pauline and I am on your cruise:)

I am getting practice!

I don't mind the social aspects of a roll calls, though I am kinda shy and reserve:D;)

Kool Jammer you always have great things to say and experienced input for everyone.

However, never in my wildest imagination would anyone who has made over 2600 posts come across as you have described yourself

(shy and reserved) !

I am sure once you get on the roll call you will let the jammin' flow.

Have a great cruise.

Kool Jammer you always have great things to say and experienced input for everyone.

However, never in my wildest imagination would anyone who has made over 2600 posts come across as you have described yourself

(shy and reserved) !

Have a great cruise.

I was going to add NOT OPINIONATED but I looked up the meaning in the dictionary and by golly saw a picture of me;) I need to hook up with some serious dancers:D

I thought the "social aspect" of roll calls was what it was all about. To give fellow cruisers a chance to connect and get to know each other a bit before the cruise.

Exactly. I think a balance is nice. A little chit-chat, a little information sharing, etc. Once I was on a roll call that was moseying pleasantly along when a very agressive "organizer" joined up and started almost bullying folks into joining up on private tours (later turns out so that he could get a "free" tour as the organizer...)

Exactly. I think a balance is nice. A little chit-chat, a little information sharing, etc. Once I was on a roll call that was moseying pleasantly along when a very agressive "organizer" joined up and started almost bullying folks into joining up on private tours (later turns out so that he could get a "free" tour as the organizer...)

Some people just have to be in charge or have their way. Not long ago there was a thread about a roll call that had gotten realy nasty. Seems someone tried to take it over and when others did not wish to just blindly follow along with him he took it personal and got a bit testy. It finally settled down. Who knows maybe there was something in it for him also.

(shy and reserved) !

Have a great cruise.

Some of us find posting on a message board less intimating, than taking in person. We may still be shy. We may post a lot, because we are shy in person.

Back to the point of discussion,I am not bothered if some seem to be good "friends." Everyone is welcome on roll calls, but if some make a connection and enjoy one anothers' company-and we feel a bit out of the "loop,"well that is the way life is. We all have close friends, and then others that are just friends. We have all unintentionally made others feel out of the "loop."

Maybe I am not bothered, because I am not looking for close friendships in roll calls.

Just join in whenever you want - I've always found people to be very friendly. Last sumer, we had the best time at our meet & greet. I was cruising with my two teen daughters, without my husband, and it's nice to have familiar faces to run into. I really liked a lot of those folks!

Kathy

When I first joined CC, I started a roll call for my upcoming cruise. Probably wasn't all active as some other roll calls and not as inactive as others. We set up a few meetings, but didn't try to set up any group excursions or anything like that.

One group was assigned to the same table at dinner so that was nice. Some of the people who had posted didn't go to the meet and greets, but most did, I think. I kept talking online with one who never made it to the meetings and we're Facebook friends now.

What surprised me is finding one of the roll callers (who had joined up within a couple months of that cruise) talking on another roll call about how "disorganized" our roll call had been. Like he had even offered any advice to those of us who were new at this (NOT).

Don't worry about posting to it, Pauline. Most people there will greet you. Anyone else is probably someone you won't want to meet anyway.

My current roll call was soooooooooooooo slow at the beginning. There was myself and one other person on it. She and I had alot to chat about, constantly mentioning the fact that it was only two of us. I too had worried about other people reading our little chats and thought maybe they might feel akward about joining as she & i "hit it off" right away. We have since had 2 other people join our roll call but with little conversation.

we were eager to have others join us, and mention it several times in our postings about others joining our roll call. We are cruising in April and had hoped for more.

I hope our little chatting back and forth did not prevent anyone else from joining in. I hope we were/are welcoming to any other people that wish to join the roll call.

I think most people would think "the more the merrier" for the roll call...at least I do.

Join the roll call and have fun!

Archived