HELP with best UK Credit Card for Caribbean Cruise?

jtsbusiness

I have always used Nationwide as this allowed us to obtain foreign currency and goods without being charged commission. However, now they have changed their policy and this only applies in Europe. :mad:

Can anyone advise on the best replacement card. I have been looking at Santanda Zero, but also advised that Capital One does the same.

Please can all of you seasoned travellers advise as to which is the best card to use, or whether there are better cards out there. Obviously we will need a credit card to sail with Princess, it is just which one to get:confused::confused:

From a very confused traveller:eek:

I have a nationwide card and one from the post office which offers no charge on transactions overseas. In reality the nationwide card is still good value even with the fees since the exchange rate they apply is better than the post office card. I would advise checking for any card both the transaction fees and which exchange rate they apply (business tourist etc) and then make a decision on this basis. Hope this helps, G.

Thanks. You sound as if you know what you are talking about (which unfortunately I don't!!).

I have always been impressed with the Nationwide exchange rate, but how do I know what the other companies use, and which is the best one. You mention business tourist ... I have no idea what this means.

Hoping you can shed some light.

We still use the Nationwide card. We used it in US recently and on our European cruise with Celebrity in september and in our opinion it still has a better rate than all the others for foreign transactions. I have already registerered it for our Caribbean cruise in February.

Just stick with it and remember to tick the box on your paperwork to advise princess that you do not want them to convert into £. (Take a copy of this and hold on to it so that you can present it to the PSD - just in case they ignore your request (this happens frequently). Let Nationwide do the conversion for you. They don't charge 3%!!

Hope this helps.

Glenda

I know it doesn't give exact definitions but this might be helpful:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/cfmmanual/cfm7020.htm

In effect every bank or credit card company can select which rate they use to convert your transaction, just like when you buy foreign currency (one will offer 0% fees but the rate is poor, another will have a good rate but fees). The application form should tell you which they will use or you can ask. G.

We always pay our ship bill with either our Tesco Visa card (for points to exchange for BA miles) or our BA American Express card (for BA miles). We use these cards as we are trying to build up enough BA miles for tickets to Canada next year. We try not to use any credit cards on holiday for anything else.

I order my foreign currency on my M&S card. They may not have the best rate but they deliver the next day and do not charge any commission. Also it shows up as a purchase on the credit card bill and not a cash advance, so no interest as we pay it off in full when the bill comes in. I also have a Nationwide card which we use if we need any money from ATMs while travelling (only in Europe now, I think).

Sounds like we live on credit cards but we do make sure we pay off each of our cards in full each month so not incurring any interest charges.

We also NEVER let the cruise companies convert our bill into sterling - we always tick that box and we also highlight it as well, so they cannot say they missed it:D

Hi Dorset Cruiser. When you say you tick the box to say you do not want them to convert the currency - where do I find that box? I looked on Princess Personaliser but could see no reference.

It is on the boarding pass form when you print it out.

Hi

Took my Capital One card, which was the card I registered with the ship, on the Ruby Princess Western Caribbean cruise in Jan of this year with no problems at all. I contacted Capital One prior to departure to inform them that I was taking the card out of the UK together with appropriate dates. They were grateful of this information, and said that without this prior knowledge, they would have go through an authorisation procedure but not refuse any transactions. If you take a Capital One card, I reccomend that you let them know accordingley.

Hi

Took my Capital One card, which was the card I registered with the ship, on the Ruby Princess Western Caribbean cruise in Jan of this year with no problems at all. I contacted Capital One prior to departure to inform them that I was taking the card out of the UK together with appropriate dates. They were grateful of this information, and said that without this prior knowledge, they would have go through an authorisation procedure but not refuse any transactions. If you take a Capital One card, I reccomend that you let them know accordingley. :):)

We still use the Nationwide card. We used it in US recently and on our European cruise with Celebrity in september and in our opinion it still has a better rate than all the others for foreign transactions. I have already registerered it for our Caribbean cruise in February.

Just stick with it and remember to tick the box on your paperwork to advise princess that you do not want them to convert into £. (Take a copy of this and hold on to it so that you can present it to the PSD - just in case they ignore your request (this happens frequently). Let Nationwide do the conversion for you. They don't charge 3%!!

Hope this helps.

Glenda

WRITE IN BOLD LETTERS AT THE BOTTOM OF THe SHEET YOU MUST HAND IN AS I DO

CHARGES IN US$ ONLY.I will make a copy !!!

Thanks. Nationwide still seem to be coming out on top.

No!!! Your best bet here in the UK is the Post Office Mastercard....it does not charge anything on overseas transactions!! 0% foreign currency convertion. Perfect!

We had the Nationwide card and used it every year for purchases abroad or purchases made in $US - have now stopped due to new charges. Despite this, we set up a Nationwide Flex account which gives you a debit card which alows you free 0% withdrawals from ATMs in many countries (most EU)...not too sure about other countries - there is a ist on their website.

If you have time - apply for one now, remembering to tick the box on the online Princess check in form stating that you wish your own bank to convert the exchange rate when paying your onboard bill.

Hope this helps.

Do they have good conversion rates? I know in the PO their rates are often very competitive. Is it the same rate for their credit cards do you know?

The convertion rate will be whatever it is on the day - it's not the tourist rate that you would get if when buying currency.

i.e ....todays exchange rate for US$ is $1.64, and if I was paying for anything today with my PO card that is the rate I would get with NO comission or charges.

I've always used an RBS Mastercard and have never paid exchange rates on my bill.

But make sure you inform Princess on boarding that you want your bill charged in us dollar.

Babs

Crown Princess June 2007

Navigator of the Seas February 2008

Emerald Princess August 2008

Grand Princess May 2009

I've always used an RBS Mastercard and have never paid exchange rates on my bill.

But make sure you inform Princess on boarding that you want your bill charged in us dollar.

Most companies don't show a 'charge' on your statement CC for foreign transactions, but the exchange rate you get will be approximately 2.75% less....their 'hidden' charges.

Is there any benefit in getting a Credit Card from Princess? I can't imagine that they would give very competitive rates!!!!

That would be an US card - not even sure you could apply for one if you are from the UK. Honestly, currently your best bet is the Post Office Mastercard - it is the only card I know of which doesn't pass on any charges for foreign transactions.

Archived