pictures from our Dubrovnik - walking the walls

All,

We were on Costa Fortuna, and the ship tender directly to the old town, just a few minutes walk to the entrance of the wall gate. We paid $7.50 Euro for the wall entrance.

On 10/18/2009, the weather was very poor, raining all morning, our Dubrovnik port time is from 8am to 1pm, we got the 1st tender tickets, and start walk the wall around 8:30am, by 11:30am, we finish walking the complete circle of the wall, even took a short break in a coffee shop near top of wall. It's not only raining, but also windy, but both we wore comfortable shoes, and really enjoyed the walk and beautiful view.

ps. It was not crowded at all due to the bad weather.

check-out our pictures:

enjoy,

Nancy

Thanks Jill for your nice compliment.

The raining date makes pictures interesting sometimes, but I was told that it would be prettier when it's sunny.

Hope that you are correct about the sun, we will be in Dubrovnik this coming Thursday and hope for sunny weather.

Jill

kj_connections,

It's not hard to get the 1st tender off Costa Fortuna if you come to the pick up the ticket 20 minutes earlier than their announce start time.

ps. Announce at 8:15am for 1st tender on daily news, we got there 10 minutes before 8am and they sent out tender tickets already, and got the 1st tender ticket easily.

Jill,

The local lady who worked in the coffee shop on top of the wall told me that Sunny date would be prettier.

Have wonderful time Jill & kj_connections in Dubrovnik!!!

cheers,

Nancy

All,

We were on Costa Fortuna, and the ship tender directly to the old town, just a few minutes walk to the entrance of the wall gate. We paid $7.50 Euro for the wall entrance.

On 10/18/2009, the weather was very poor, raining all morning, our Dubrovnik port time is from 8am to 1pm, we got the 1st tender tickets, and start walk the wall around 8:30am, by 11:30am, we finish walking the complete circle of the wall, even took a short break in a coffee shop near top of wall. It's not only raining, but also windy, but both we wore comfortable shoes, and really enjoyed the walk and beautiful view.

check-out our pictures:

enjoy,

Nancy

Nancy -- Did you take all these pictures from just walking on the wall or did you also do some other touring? The pics are great and looks like you saw alot. We are going to be there in May '10 and were trying to decide what to do -- private tour, or tour on our own. Any thoughts from CC members would be helpful.

Patti

Nancy -- Did you take all these pictures from just walking on the wall or did you also do some other touring? The pics are great and looks like you saw alot. We are going to be there in May '10 and were trying to decide what to do -- private tour, or tour on our own. Any thoughts from CC members would be helpful.

Patti

If you just plan to visit the Old Town, there absolutely is no need for a private tour. It is a very compact area, and you will either tender directly into the Old City, or be a 10-minute bus or taxi ride away. We just used Rick Steves' touring information, and spent a great deal of our time walking the walls, stopping for the changing views all along our way.

After that, we lunched, explored the lovely Old Synagogue and small museums, and other sights along the central Stradun street through the Old Town area plus some shopping for the unique silver ball filigree earrings I was interested in purchasing.

PS I just saw you are a fellow Cincinnatian. Welcome to the boards!

If you just plan to visit the Old Town, there absolutely is no need for a private tour. It is a very compact area, and you will either tender directly into the Old City, or be a 10-minute bus or taxi ride away. We just used Rick Steves' touring information, and spent a great deal of our time walking the walls, stopping for the changing views all along our way.

After that, we lunched, explored the lovely Old Synagogue and small museums, and other sights along the central Stradun street through the Old Town area plus some shopping for the unique silver ball filigree earrings I was interested in purchasing.

PS I just saw you are a fellow Cincinnatian. Welcome to the boards!

Thanks Pam. I'm really glad I found out about Cruise Critic!! It's a really great site with a lot of great info. What time of year were you in Dubrovnik? We are going in May and hope for nice weather.

Have you visited Split and do you have any suggestions for that port?

Thanks.

Patti

Thanks Pam. I'm really glad I found out about Cruise Critic!! It's a really great site with a lot of great info. What time of year were you in Dubrovnik? We are going in May and hope for nice weather.

Have you visited Split and do you have any suggestions for that port?

Thanks.

Patti

Hi, Patti, we visited Dubrovnik in mid-September last year, but will be returning in May 2010 for a port day on a Venice to Barcelona cruise. (Are you by any chance sailing on Oceania?) It rained for the last two hours of our visit there; fortunately we walked the walls first thing.:)

We have not yet visited Split.

Pam

Hi, Patti, we visited Dubrovnik in mid-September last year, but will be returning in May 2010 for a port day on a Venice to Barcelona cruise. (Are you by any chance sailing on Oceania?) It rained for the last two hours of our visit there; fortunately we walked the walls first thing.:)

We have not yet visited Split.

Pam

Hi Pam,

No, we will not be on the Oceania, but will be on the NCL Gem Eastern Mediterrean cruise leaving from Venice. We were in Barcelona last year. Have you been there before? It is a really great city!! We were there for a couple of days before leaving on a Costa cruise from there.

Patti

Hi plmbaskets,

We took all these pictures from just walking on the wall, even though it was raining and windy, but we still enjoyed walk the wall very much.

CintiPam is right, Dubrovnik old town is very compact, we was happy that we did not take the cruise ship Costa Fortuna excursion which was full.

cheers,

Nancy

Hi Pam,

No, we will not be on the Oceania, but will be on the NCL Gem Eastern Mediterrean cruise leaving from Venice. We were in Barcelona last year. Have you been there before? It is a really great city!! We were there for a couple of days before leaving on a Costa cruise from there.

Patti

This will be our first visit to Barcelona, although we spent three weeks in Spain a few years back. We chose this particular cruise because it was ending there, working our way west across the Med, staring with last September's Istanbul to Athens, our first-ever cruise, then June's Athens to Rome cruise!

We have three days in Barcelona post-cruise. Am trying to decide between Hotel Jazz, Hotel Regencia Colon and Hotel H10 Raco de Pi.

Do you have a Barcelona hotel rec?

This will be our first visit to Barcelona, although we spent three weeks in Spain a few years back. We chose this particular cruise because it was ending there, working our way west across the Med, staring with last September's Istanbul to Athens, our first-ever cruise, then June's Athens to Rome cruise!

We have three days in Barcelona post-cruise. Am trying to decide between Hotel Jazz, Hotel Regencia Colon and Hotel H10 Raco de Pi.

Do you have a Barcelona hotel rec?

Pam - We stayed in the NH Hotel in Barcelona for 2 nights. It was just a few blocks from the main part of the city and we got it on Priceline.com. We actually bid on it and got it for less than $100/night. It was a 4 star hotel and very nice. We took the "hop on/hop off" tourist bus in the city which is a very good way to see everything.

Patti

Pam - We stayed in the NH Hotel in Barcelona for 2 nights. It was just a few blocks from the main part of the city and we got it on Priceline.com. We actually bid on it and got it for less than $100/night. It was a 4 star hotel and very nice. We took the "hop on/hop off" tourist bus in the city which is a very good way to see everything.

Patti

Thanks, Patti. The NH is a hotel chain; which one did you stay at in Barcelona?

All,

check-out our pictures:

enjoy,

Nancy

Great Pictures :)

Thanks, Patti. The NH is a hotel chain; which one did you stay at in Barcelona?

We stayed at the NH Duc de la Victoria. It's parralel to the Ramblas, two blocks past. Hotel location was super and hotel very clean and friendly reception staff.

• 1 month later...
Hi Pam,

Patti

Another fellow Cinci-area person jumping in! CintiPam was a great help to me last year - hello again! Pimbaskets, when will you be on the Gem? We are booked for 14 days in July and still deciding what to do at each port. Split and Dubrovnik both seem to be ones we can do on our own, we have booked Hello Ephesus to see the Terrace Houses from Izmir, still looking for other ports. I would love to go to Oia, it seems to be fairly easy to do on our won but I haven't put that all together yet.:eek: Have you made any other plans? We are also still searching for airfare, looks like we may find better fares going from NYC to Rome then taking the train to Venice but I'm still looking!!

Another fellow Cinci-area person jumping in! CintiPam was a great help to me last year - hello again! Pimbaskets, when will you be on the Gem? We are booked for 14 days in July and still deciding what to do at each port. Split and Dubrovnik both seem to be ones we can do on our own, we have booked Hello Ephesus to see the Terrace Houses from Izmir, still looking for other ports. I would love to go to Oia, it seems to be fairly easy to do on our won but I haven't put that all together yet.:eek: Have you made any other plans? We are also still searching for airfare, looks like we may find better fares going from NYC to Rome then taking the train to Venice but I'm still looking!!

We will be on the Gem May 8-22. We have been to Santorini before and this time we are going to rent a car. You can get a car for 35 Euros and this is really the best and easiest way to get around -- even if it is just for 4 hours. We booked a private tour of Ephesus and the terrace houses. In Corfu we are sharing a tour with another 2 people. There is a walking tour in Split that meets in the center of town that we are planning on doing and will also be doing our own thing in Dubrovnik. We have also been to Athens before, so we plan on visiting the Parthenon again and walking around the market area.

As far as airfare goes, we are using frequent flyer miles and booked our trip some time ago. The last time we were in Italy, we stayed in Padova (sp?) and took the train into the city, but this time we found a hotel in the city and will either take the NCL transfer or a taxi to the port. We will have a rental car as we are going to be in Italy for a week prior to the cruise.

Patti

I agree with Patti that renting a car is the best way to explore Santorini. We did that both of our port days there in September 2009 and June 2010. Parking is easy, there is very little traffic, and the freedom to explore is great.

We booked ahead because I need an automatic, and that was only 40 Euros for the day.

Archived