Early flight home a problem? Any Advice?

dolphngirl

Need some advice...........the best flight for schedule and price to take home post-cruise leaves New Orleans airport at 11:30 am . The Dream's schedule shows we disembark at 8:00 am. Will this leave enough time to make the 11:30 am flight home?

If it truely is the best deal and there is no other way to get home.... it can be done. Be sure to take a cab to the airport, not a shuttle.

We got off The Dream on 12/26/04 and my parents had a similar flight time from NO to Detroit. I think I was more concerned that they wouldn't make it than they were, but they were fine. This particular day, NO had ice/snow and LOTS of people had trouble getting to work and we heard the freeway was closed. Late in the cruise (Fri./Sat. - can't remember which), you will receive colored luggage tags. You will need to "exchange" your floor's colored tags for special ones that allow you to disembark first. I think the first group was finally able to go around 9 am - not quite as early as the stated 8 am. I don't think they had any problems checking in at the airport. There were lines at security for them and us, but the lines seemed to move fairly quickly. We were traveling the day after Christmas and the airport was pretty busy.

Good Luck,

Marlissa

This is very tight. You need to allow 30 mins. for the cab to the airport, and no guarantee the ship will clear on time. Everyone also wants early disembarkment so sign up for that too. I would book something later if possible. Perhaps also arrange car service so to not wait for a cab??

In addition to what Budget Queen said, the cruise lines give you colored luggage tags for debarkation according to your flight time IF you book your air through them. If not, they have you listed as no flight so you'll get a later color. I've seen postings where people can try to arrange for an earlier color at the pursers desk and have succeeded in doing so. For me, I'd hate the stress of worrying about missing that flight. The cruiselines recommend you don't book a flight any earlier than noon or 12:30 and I think they do so for a reason. If they have trouble with anyone on the ship showing up for customs or whatever, they don't let ANYONE off until those individuals do. I've waited in such hold ups before.

My advice is to book a later flight. It may cost more, be a little less convenient, but imagine how much more inconvenient and costly it will be if you miss your flight.

Archived