It was my fault-hope this helps you

snallysmom

We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Carnival Miracle. But, I had one problem. There was a charge on my sail and sign card that wasn't mine. It was for 3 drinks in the theater. We never ordered anything in the theater and neither of us drink the drinks that were bought. The person at Guest Service printed a receipt for me to see and it was my folio number. I told her it wasn't my charge. She asked me to sign the receipt so she could check on the signature. I asked her twice why I should sign on the dotted line, and she said that's what had to be done to dispute the charge. Against my better judgment, and because Carnival has always been wonderful, I signed. She told me she had removed the charge while it was being investigated. The next morning I got a note saying the charge was valid because they had a copy of a receipt with my signature. I went back to Guest Service to complain and was told I'd signed, so I'd have to pay. I explained about the previous visit and was told guests are always asked to sign on the back with a disputed charge. I'm afraid I became a bit unpleasant at that point and insisted on knowing who had helped me, asked to see the original receipt and told the poor lady helping me to call my husband to verify that I'd been asked to sign on the front (he had been with me the first visit). The lady finally removed the charge for me. I felt bad for her because she had nothing to do with the mix-up. I was stupid to sign on the front but really trusted the first person at Guest Services. I'm sure she wasn't trying to exploit me and really thought she was doing it right. But, I should have asked her to check with someone before I signed. I hope this helps get the procedure straightened out. If you ever you a disputed charge, NEVER sign on the front of the receipt if you're asked to. Sign on the back or insist on talking to the person in charge. I'm sure someone just found the receipt I'd signed for the purser and thought I'd signed it in the theater. I was told there was no way to get the original receipt. There should be. I'm sure someone transposed a couple of numbers when they were writing the folio number on the bill and a person receiving the drinks probably didn't look at the name typed on the bill. There were others at Guest Services trying to get charges removed from the theater. The wait staff can get very busy and mistakes happen. Just learn from me about how to sign if you dispute a charge. I'm glad the charge was removed for me but the whole experience was unpleasant. Hopefully, you'll learn from my mistake if the same thing happens to you. It was only about $28 on a rather large sail and sign account, but I didn't see why I should pay when I hadn't ordered the drinks and have never in my life had a Manhattan or a Mojoito and didn't have any wine on the cruise. This certainly didn't spoil a wonderful cruise but it was the last dealing I had with anyone on the ship, and it's too bad it was unpleasant. But, as always, on the whole, my cruise was absolutely wonderful.

Did YOU get to see the original signature? Sorry if I missed it.

Ah I see it now. If they couldn't prove it, NO WAY would I let them charge me!

Thanks for the warning!

I never got to see the original signature. I was told it couldn't be done. In fairness to Carnival, the second visit to try to rectify this was as we were coming into port at the end of the cruise. I don't know if I could have seen it if I had asked earlier.

I never got to see the original signature. I was told it couldn't be done. In fairness to Carnival, the second visit to try to rectify this was as we were coming into port at the end of the cruise. I don't know if I could have seen it if I had asked earlier.

I had one that was wrong and they showed me the charge slip with the signature. Not sure why they wouldnt show you, that sounds iffy to me. The signature was miss-spelled on my charge slip, so they took it off. Someone, maybe a cabin steward had forged my name.

I guess you could ask to sign on a piece of paper and not on the actual receipt copy? If they are merely doing this to compare signatures you can sign on 'anything' really - so maybe avoiding signing anywhere on the receipt might be a good strategy?

Otherwise if I had to sign on the receipt I would first write: "I am disputing this charge as I did not order these drinks" and then sign :D:D

Along the same lines as Froufie, I would have signed and dated it and noted time... it obviously wouldn't be the same date and time as the card was charged.. but noting that you are disputing the charge is an excellent idea as well!

Glad it all worked out and you didn't let it ruin your entire perception of the cruise!

thanks for the warning...luckily I have never had to dispute a charge. But now thinking about it, I think I would ask them to compare all my other receipt signatures to the charge I am disputing that might would avoid all confusion together.

Glad you got it taken care of though! And I LOVED the MIRACLE!!!!

We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Carnival Miracle. But, I had one problem. There was a charge on my sail and sign card that wasn't mine. It was for 3 drinks in the theater. We never ordered anything in the theater and neither of us drink the drinks that were bought. The person at Guest Service printed a receipt for me to see and it was my folio number. I told her it wasn't my charge. She asked me to sign the receipt so she could check on the signature. I asked her twice why I should sign on the dotted line, and she said that's what had to be done to dispute the charge. Against my better judgment, and because Carnival has always been wonderful, I signed. She told me she had removed the charge while it was being investigated. The next morning I got a note saying the charge was valid because they had a copy of a receipt with my signature. I went back to Guest Service to complain and was told I'd signed, so I'd have to pay. I explained about the previous visit and was told guests are always asked to sign on the back with a disputed charge. I'm afraid I became a bit unpleasant at that point and insisted on knowing who had helped me, asked to see the original receipt and told the poor lady helping me to call my husband to verify that I'd been asked to sign on the front (he had been with me the first visit). The lady finally removed the charge for me. I felt bad for her because she had nothing to do with the mix-up. I was stupid to sign on the front but really trusted the first person at Guest Services. I'm sure she wasn't trying to exploit me and really thought she was doing it right. But, I should have asked her to check with someone before I signed. I hope this helps get the procedure straightened out. If you ever you a disputed charge, NEVER sign on the front of the receipt if you're asked to. Sign on the back or insist on talking to the person in charge. I'm sure someone just found the receipt I'd signed for the purser and thought I'd signed it in the theater. I was told there was no way to get the original receipt. There should be. I'm sure someone transposed a couple of numbers when they were writing the folio number on the bill and a person receiving the drinks probably didn't look at the name typed on the bill. There were others at Guest Services trying to get charges removed from the theater. The wait staff can get very busy and mistakes happen. Just learn from me about how to sign if you dispute a charge. I'm glad the charge was removed for me but the whole experience was unpleasant. Hopefully, you'll learn from my mistake if the same thing happens to you. It was only about $28 on a rather large sail and sign account, but I didn't see why I should pay when I hadn't ordered the drinks and have never in my life had a Manhattan or a Mojoito and didn't have any wine on the cruise. This certainly didn't spoil a wonderful cruise but it was the last dealing I had with anyone on the ship, and it's too bad it was unpleasant. But, as always, on the whole, my cruise was absolutely wonderful.

I questioned a suspicious charge on my folio on my Carnival Victory sailing in July and found out it was a drink charge that could not have been mine as I was not even in the theatre at the tim of the charge. :(

I was never asked to sign any receipt nor would I have if asked. :cool:

I was persistent in wanting to see the original receipt and the bar manager finally forked it over for my perusal. The charge was removed from my folio. :D

Archived