Overpacking? Reign me in!

FigmentsKiss

I have always prided myself in being the type that never overpacks or underpacks. I always have just the right amount of clothes and shoes and use everything I bring (I always back 2 extra t-shirts and sometimes use them sometimes don't- but that doesn't count, since I pack them as "extra").

But, I am currently packing DDs suitcase for our cruise on Sunday and I feel like the only thing I have not packed is the kitchen sink! This is the 4th vacation we have been on with DD, and the 2nd cruise- so I don't know what my issue is. I am going insane.

We are sailing on Freedom of the Seas on Sunday. We live about an hour from the port, so we are driving. We can fit everything we want in the SUV- including the kitchen sink, so the weight and qty of luggage are not an issue.

DDs stuff (she is 17 months old):

9 day outfits (she usually has 3 or 4 days a week where we end up needing a clothing change due to messy eating and playing- I am only bringing 2 extra outfits and hoping for the best) plus socks

7 dinner outfits (yes, she will be attending dinner every night).

diapers (she averages 5-6 a day I am bringing enough for 8 a day)

swim diapers

shoes (she will be wearing sneakers when we board, and I am bringing her swim shoes and her dress shoes for dinner)

disposible bibs

table toppers

baby monitor

wipes

her toiletries (diaper cream, shampoo, tylenol, teething tablets, etc)

her milk (she is on a special milk due to tummy issues, and after partnering with dining- they said to bring it)

I still need to pack her toys (thinking about bringing books- she is always wanting to be read to, some small puzzles, her blocks, coloring books and crayons, bubbles, and a magnetic write board that she loves), her blanky and lovey, sippy cups.

And then there is the stuff I am contemplating:

*her small inflatable pool- We usually go to the park 3 times a week and she loves the splash zone there. She is not potty trained and so I don't even want to take her to see the H2O zone since she can't use it, so I am thinking about bringing her pool and just using it on our balcony.

*her pack n play- On our first cruise she refused to sleep in it and ended up in her stroller all night. She was happy and slept, so we were happy and slept.

On our 2nd vacation- she started out in the pnp, but ended up in the stroller around 3am every night.

On our 3rd vacation- she would have nothing to do with the pnp or stroller and I spent the week sleeping in a chair with her. I was not happy.

So, for the past 2 weeks DH and I have been having her sleep and nap at home, in her room, in HER pack and play. She has been sleeping thru the night. So now, I wonder, if I should just bring that pnp since she knows it and is ok with it.

*her snacks- yes, yes- I know there is going to be plenty of food on the ship, but right now, after lunch DD gets a snack of 2 Gerber Banana cookies. It is the only time she gets a snack and the only snack she gets. I am ok with her not getting a snack at all (she doesn't always get them), but she is going to be seeing others eat desserts and I don't want her eating the ships cookies when she could be eating something that is heathier and half the calories.

Plus, we will have her stroller! I feel like she is going to be moving onto the ship!

If there are things I don't need please talk me out of them, and if what I am packing is fine- please say so, and make me feel better and calmer.

Why is packing so stressful once you have kids?

Since you are driving and can bring it all I would bring most of what you have listed since it's better to bring it and not need it then the other way around, however if it was me, I wouldn't bring the pack n play since you can get one on the ship. As long as she has a familiar blanket, lovey, etc. I would think she will be fine however, you know your own kid best. I also wouldn't bring a dinner outfit for every night. A 17 month old should be fine in her normal clothes for dinner most nights (maybe some sun dresses that could double for day and night). I can understand wanting to bring 2 or 3 dressier outfits for formal nights and photos.

Everything else you have listed I would bring! Have a grreat time!

We just returned from a seven day cruise on the Liberty with our 20 month old and packed pretty much the same things as you (and we flew!) and used most of what we brought. Here are a few comments:

Day outfits – we really only used one per day because we often changed her into her swimsuit/cover-up and then changed into a different more dressy outfit for dinner each night. With nap and swim time, we really did not dirty more than one outfit a day (or have time for multiple wardrobe changes;). We did use all 7 dress outfits we brought. I also packed a pair of jeans for her for the ice show, but we really did not need them, it was not that cold in the ice rink.

Pack and Play – we used the ship’s and then just brought her crib sheet, blanket and sleep sack.

Pool – we did not bring an inflatable, we just used the baby splash area in the H2O zone. Our little one was not enticed by the bigger area that she could not go into, I think there were just too many big kids/too many things going on there.

Regarding snacks – we made use of the free cake cones at the sprinkles ice cream stand as a snack. They are relatively low in calories/sugar and bought us some extra time during meals (our little one loves to hold and chomp away on her cake cone).

We did not bring a monitor, just cracked the balcony door while she was sleeping and we were on the balcony.

In addition to the disposable bibs, we also brought disposable forks/spoons (take and toss brand). I also packed a small container of dish soap and a bottle brush so I could wash her sippy cups and pacis between uses.

Have a great trip!

I don't think I would bother with the monitor--will you really be so far away that you won't hear her? I would also cut down an outfit or 2. She could wear a sundress from dinner the next (or another) day. Try to mix & match (like us big folks do) and maybe bring a little dreft in case a spill happens and you have to wash in the sink. I would also go easy on the toys-whenever we brought them my kids ended up playing with only 1-2 (if any!)

Unfortunately at this age, more is more if you can pack it. I definitely concur with taking snacks. I have 2 children with food allergies or intolerances and I even hauled a whole case of liquid formula onto the plane when we went to Jamaica. Thank goodness now, he's over his allergy to soy and my daughter's allergy to peanuts are outgrown, although we still don't let her eat them. Still have to work around high fructose corn syrup but we didn't have a problem last cruise. i'm also stoked that this is my first trip in a long time with NO DIAPERS!:D

AS far as clothes, we have 4 kids so I operate under the acceptance that in order to not kill myself carrying luggage, I WILL have to do laundry at some point. On our cruise, it was easy to zip in pop a load in, then come back in 30 minutes and switch it out.

I don't know that a monitor will work on the ship. Not sure I'd mess with that.

One thing I didn't see on your list is sun protection: sunscreen for babies, a sun hat and sunglasses.

Tami

I would definitely skip the baby monitor, I'm not sure it would work, and you won't be far away.

I also wouldn't bring the pack n play, but I would bring a sheet or two from home. We did that and it worked out great!

Clothing - I packed way too much! Between the time they spend in PJ's and swimsuits, there really isn't that much time to really mess up an outfit. I also overpacked diapers - I barely finished a 30 pack on a 7 day cruise. DD wears overnight diapers at night, so that cut back more than I expected.

We didn't bring our pack and play either when we travelled with our then 15 mos old. I did bring sheets, but when I mentioned this to our cabin steward, he gave me such a funny look as if to say we have tons of sheets! Needless to say, we didn't use the ones we brought from home and our DS didn't care anyways. We did use the blankie that we brought from home though.

I would still overpack the diapers. It only takes one bout of tummy troubles and the runs to quickly go through the ones that you brought.

N.

Archived