Ultimate ship's tour

RASHOPPER2

We did this on the Coral during our Panama Canal cruise a few weeks ago. It is fabulous and would do it again. We signed up at the Pursers Desk as soon as we boarded (even before we went to our cabin). It is a 'private tour' of behind the scenes areas of the ship that normally you would not get to see. I belive they only take up to 12 people on any one tour and I am not sure how often they do the tour - I suppose it depends on how many people sign up. On our 15 day cruise, they did 2 tours. The cost is $150 per person. We toured the theatre (audio and lighting booth and backstage and under the stage), the food storage areas, the kitchens, the print shop, the photography shop, the engine control rooms, the medical offices and the bridge. At each location the tour was conducted by individuals responsible for those areas - which was great. When we got to the bridge, the tour was conducted by the Captain and the First Officer and then we spent 1/2 hour or more with the captain in a private room where we were served champagne and canapes. We each received photos that were taken of us in each of the areas we visited and albums to put them in, bathrobes, chef jackets, stationary, and I think one or two other items that I can't remember just now. Our tour started at 8:30a.m. and did not finish until about noon. It was absolutely wonderful and well worth the $150 per person charge.

I agree with DiRon. It's a fabulous tour and worth every penny. Be aware that you will not be able to carry anything with you, including a camera, and will be climbing ladders and into areas and to heights that if you have any problems with mobility or heights, it might not be for you. My tour was supposed to last three hours but it actually look almost four hours. Fabulous.

I did this tour on the Island Princess in Alaska in June. I agree it is a great tour. We didn't do any ladder climbing though, so if you want to do the tour, but are worried about stairs or ladders you should ask if that will be included in your tour.

We did have to buy an extra duffle bag to haul our goodies home after the tour. I love the robe and would never have spent $100 to buy it in the gift shop.

We did the tour on the Star in August and my wife and I both enjoyed it. We were allowed to take pictures of every area except the engine control room. Took plenty of pictures of the bridge and the Captain. We went to the laundry which, believe it or not, is fascinating especially seeing the pressing and folding machines. Also saw the anchor room and learned how they tie up the ship. We were given some nice gifts including lots of photos, a carry tote, a chef's jacket and plush bathrobe. Sign up as soon as you board but be prepared that they may have a lottery if there is a lot of interest. It was advertised in the Patters. If you don't get chosen, I would look into standby since we had only 8 after a few no-shows and one who went down for the count with seasickness.

I agree with DiRon. It's a fabulous tour and worth every penny. Be aware that you will not be able to carry anything with you, including a camera, and will be climbing ladders and into areas and to heights that if you have any problems with mobility or heights, it might not be for you. My tour was supposed to last three hours but it actually look almost four hours. Fabulous.

We were allowed to bring cameras on the Star and took pictures in each and every area including the bridge. Video taping was not allowed. We had steps to go up but no ladders.

We did this on Island last March. Definitely a splurge, but worth the money. Meeting all the major officers including the bridge crew was a real treat. Things that most impressed us were how friendly everyone was "below decks" - smiles and waves, that seemed genuine, wherever we went - and the incredible logistics behind a cruise ship. If you go, try to read as many of the crew notices posted everywhere as you can. It's really, really interesting to get a better idea of what it's like to work on a cruise ship. (We found ourselves tipping way more than usual after this tour!)

Cheers,

Kirsten

Has anyone done this on the Crown? It sounds wonderful--something my husband would love, and I'm thinking about making him a "gift certificate" for the tour as a Christmas present (since we cruise on Jan. 2)... I just hope we can book it!

We were allowed to bring cameras on the Star and took pictures in each and every area including the bridge. Video taping was not allowed. We had steps to go up but no ladders.
It might depend on the ship. We were absolutely, positively not allowed to carry cameras or anything in our hands for the entire tour on the Sapphire Princess last April. And, we climbed a ladder (not steps) up the side to go up into the funnel area (behind the Seawitch logo) to see the engine and the view.

Has anyone done this on the Crown? It sounds wonderful--something my husband would love, and I'm thinking about making him a "gift certificate" for the tour as a Christmas present (since we cruise on Jan. 2)... I just hope we can book it!

Yes, it is done on the Crown.

I have to agree with Pam in CA - we were not allowed to take cameras with us on our tour of the Coral in September. We did climb a ladder from one level to another in the engine room area. So ladies I would suggest no skirts and good walking shoes, you are one your feet for about 3 hours. The only time we were seated was the last half hour where we enjoyed chatting with and asking questions of the Captain.

A little warning...

I was absolutely set on doing this tour. We went right to the front desk to get our names on the list (we were the first ones). The girl at the desk said they only took one name for the whole cabin. I said that my DH and I both wanted to do the tour. She said that if my name was selected they would know it was for two. I argued that I was pretty sure that was not correct. She was very persistent that I only list my name and would not let me add DH's name. A few days later we got a letter in our room saying I was selected. Just me, not both of us. I was of course VERY UPSET. I went to the desk and they would not let me cancel the tour and they would not let me add my DH. I understand it is a limited # of people which is why I wanted to make sure we were BOTH signed up. The SAME girl would told me the wrong information the first day said that she had never had anyone cancel and since there was no "real reason" for me to cancel she could not permit it. I wasnt going to pay $150 to do a tour alone.

To make a long stoty short, it was not until the last night of our cruise that we were able to speak with the boss' boss and get the $150 charge off our bill.

SO make sure you are both signed up if you are going with a companion.

We signed up the last day of our Alaska cruise, which was a sea day and had the information package in our stateroom within an hour. Availability did not seem to be a problem, maybe because the excursions are so expensive in Alaska everyone had already spent their money!

I agree that the laundry was very interesting. We also spent a long time in the medical clinic. There were not any patients in the clinic and the doctor was very nice. We quizzed him on everything from seasickness to surgery to dying onboard ship...and yes, apparently it is not that uncommon. We also learned that the clinic is in the position of least motion on the ship, so if you are feeling queasy it is definately the place the go hang out. As an added bonus we saw a whale through the porthole while we were in one of the hospital rooms. Definately a hospital room with a view!

The one common thought seems to be it was worth the $150. I took the tour on the Sapphire last May and agree. Unfortunately we were not allowed in the Medical Center because they had patients in there. I wanted to see the morgue (I was told they have three slabs). I would also liked to have seen the brig.

I thoroughly enjoyed it but would not pay to do it again.

John

Unfortunately we were not allowed in the Medical Center because they had patients in there. I wanted to see the morgue (I was told they have three slabs).

John

We were able to see the medical center on our tour (no patients) and yes there is room for 3, stacked liked bunk beds. The Doctor stated that they try to remove the bodies at the next port of call depending on the families wishes and regulations.

What is the ultimate ship's tour? Do all ships do it? How do you sign up for it? Thanks.

We did the UST on the Ruby this April, it was an extraordinary experience in every way. After meeting the small group of 8 in front of the Princess Theater we were ushered in and then onto the stage for a back stage tour including the amazing clothes line that brings the costumes up 2 floors for the quick changes. We spent some time asking questions and then our own Princess photographer took our group shot on the stage for the first of 5 pictures documenting the whole experience.

Next we moved on to the Galley where we were greeted with Champagne and Chocolates by the head Chef. He taught us about the various stages of food preparation and showed us some amazing machines. There is one that costs over $100,000.00 that just folds tablecloths and linens, quite impressive compared to my ironing!

We visited the Engineering room (not the engine room) where the main computers are and learned about all the interesting aspects of how they run these giant ships. Did you know they have different color codes for water? There is a computer onboard that manages all aspects of things such as water management and recycling,and the process they use to recycle is amazing and innovative as well but that comes later on the tour.

As we move through the ship we are never walking in areas where we normally go, we are using the staff walkways and elevators. There is a sense of going where you are not allowed that is rather exciting, and this time you are allowed!

We visited the Medical center, got to talk to the doctor and nurse and they did not even flinch when we all asked to see the Morgue! It was empty. We also visited the Photo Center/Print shop and learned about how much paper and solutions are used to bring us our (overpriced) photos!

Next we snake our way through the ship and up to the top to see what is inside the smokestack (I forgot the technical name of it) and here we did climb up some ladders to get to see the way they used the extra energy generated by the smokestack to make their own drinking water. Princess's desalinization process makes more water than they can use on most cruises and they have to throw it out.

Our last and best stop is the Bridge where we spend the better part of an hour with the Captain and First Officer, thoroughly touring each area of the Bridge and ending in more Champagne and lots of conversation. We take Photos with the group and individual photos with the Captain. The whole experience took 4 hours but our Captain was very chatty so we got a lot of time with him.

The next day we each had 5 large photos delivered with a beautiful frame, a Chefs jacket, a fluffy and wonderful bathrobe, and personalized stationary to remember our tour by. We were blown away by how incredible the experience was, if you can get in a tour you will not regret doing it.

Amelia

We did the UST on the Ruby this April, it was an extraordinary experience in every way. After meeting the small group of 8 in front of the Princess Theater we were ushered in and then onto the stage for a back stage tour including the amazing clothes line that brings the costumes up 2 floors for the quick changes. We spent some time asking questions and then our own Princess photographer took our group shot on the stage for the first of 5 pictures documenting the whole experience.

Our tour on this part included riding the stage elevator from below the stage up to the stage, just like the performers do during a show.

Archived