Is it too late to get insurance?

kcam213

I am sailing on Sun, 2 days from now.

I told my mom to get insurance when she booked the trip, but she did not according to my documents. I don't care about losing money on not going on trip... I think it is a lock for me... and if something drastic does come up... I am sure my trip money will be the least of my worries. :rolleyes:

What I am concerned about is some sort of medical coverage in case i get sick on my trip. Can I get this now online or calling? Should I wait until I get on the ship?

Should I call my health insurance to see what sort of coverage I would have? I have Blue Care Network.

Do it NOW and you can get insurance. You probably won't be covered for pre-existing conditions (without paying alot).

You can compare insurance policies at a website called insure my trip dot com [all one word] and book right online.

I tripped and cracked a bone in my wrist while we were in port (St. Thomas) on our last cruise. My travel insurance is picking up everything that my own insurance doesn't.

For instance, I have a deductible when I use out of network doctors. Needless to say, the doctors on the ship were not participating doctors! My travel insurance paid me for that, and is still paying for co-pays for doctor's visits and OT.

I highly recommend travel insurance no matter what your own policy says.

Thanks!

I did go to that website and get some quotes. I am a little uneasy about these insurance companies that I have never heard of before... am I fretting too much? My quote ws for $100,000 for about $13.60.

sounds like a good deal to me... unless I am required to carry this insurance for a mandatory time period and the premium is MONTHLY.:eek:

I better clarify that before I sign up.

They are one-time premiums. The amount depends on the coverge, your age, your home state, the cost of the trip, etc. Each company has a rating on that website. I usually stay with those that are A-, A, or A+. Even if you have never heard of the company, the ratings are enough to help you see if it's a "real" company.

Most of the time, you can purchase, then read through the policy, and cancel within a very short amount of time.

I've always taken insurance. It pays when you need it.

Good luck.

Thanks!

I did go to that website and get some quotes. I am a little uneasy about these insurance companies that I have never heard of before... am I fretting too much? My quote ws for $100,000 for about $13.60.

sounds like a good deal to me... unless I am required to carry this insurance for a mandatory time period and the premium is MONTHLY.:eek:

Travel insurance medical benefits can be pretty cheap for a number of reasons:

#1 very few travelers will need to see the doctor on a one week trip

#2 They won't cover ongoing medical needs. For example, those that need regular dialysis treatment won't have those treatments covered while on the trip.

#3 For most plans the coverage is secondary. So if you have a $500 bill from the doctor and your regular insurance pays 80% the travel insurance is only on the hook for $100

But even with the low premiums they're still making money.

Thanks!

You are WAY better off getting the insurance from one of the companies on insuremytrip.com and NOT from the cruiseline. you get much much better insurance for the cost.

As to not hearing of them, why should you know the names. They are specialty companies and not everyday household words.

However travelguard, Travel insured, CSA, and Travelex, [which after much study I think had the best plans, for me anyway] are all excellent companies.

Archived