Reluctant Cruiser

Well, after much discussion with my family, culminating in a vote of 4 to 1, I booked a cruise for Spring Break on the Rhapsody. I travel about 3 times a month on business, have traveled overseas many times, and extensively in the caribbean (probably 20+ trips), but I have yet to go on a cruise. It is not by accident -- my ideal vacation is to get away from it all, avoid crowds and tour busses at all costs, and to spend time in small, out of the way places, learning about different cultures and diverse people. My impression (and I really hope I'm wrong) is that cruises are the exact opposite of this.

So, I have a few concerns. Can someone please tell me that they are just myths, and I'll have a great time?

1. I will be nickeled and dimed to death. I am paying about $6,200 (no airfare) for my family of 5. I've read a lot about how this is a bargain, but it sure seems like a lot of money to me -- $885 / night. And I have not spent any money on shore excursions, booze, cokes, juice, water, photos, misc. memorabelia, and tips. I paid $5K for an all inclusive in Cozumel (and it included airfare), and it really did include everything. How much more is this vacation going to cost me -- $1,000? $2,000?

2. I'll spend hours standing in line. Wait to get on the ship, off the ship, wait to get on the tour bus (shudder), wait to eat, wait to find a chair to sit in near the pool.

3. I won't be able to get away from the thousands of people on the ship. Everywhere I turn, there will be crowds, or not enough room, the pool will be like tourist soup.

4. All cruisers are large rude white people who look down on the "natives". Haha... I actually laughed outloud when I typed this, as I am most certain that this is the biggest myth. However of my very diverse group of friends, only the larger white ones have gone on a cruise. For the record, I'm a white guy myself, but I truly value diversity in economic status, background, culture, and heritage. From the hours I've spent reading posts, it sounds like I might just like to hang out with the staff on the ship -- they sound very, very interesting. I do not mean to insult anyone with this, as I really think it is a myth.

5. I'll be disappointed in the food & service. I have read many, many wonderful things about how the food is magnificent, the service is second to none, etc., but I don't know how a ship can feed hundreds (thousands) of people at a time and have it come out as a very memorable meal. I've been to many, many conventions where they're serving a few hundred people at once, and I can honestly say that there is nothing at all memorable about a meal -- some were fine, but there was nothing outstanding.

Dang, reading this I sure do sound negative. I don't mean to -- I am a very positive person, I guess I am reluctant to go on a cruise. I really do want to have a good time, however. Can someone help dispel these myths?

Is the glass half full or half empty? You need to go on this trip with an open mind and not worry about things that may or may not happen. Everyone on this board loves cruising and think with an open mind you'll have a great time. But if you get down a word of advice--stay positive in front of your family; they'll appreciate it and hopefully all of you will have a good time.

Also, monitor this board and questions about ports of call and read....many of us here have enhanced our vacations by the thoughtful advice of others that allows us to visit places we would not regularly venture on our own.

Best wishes

Ok, let's go thru this methodically:

1. I will be nickeled and dimed to death.
$6,200 seems like a lot of money to me, too, all depends on your cabin category - though spring break will always be more expensive. As for how much more this vacation is going to cost you - it all depends on what you want to spend. Other than tips, you don't have to spend another cent - coffee, tea (and iced tea), and juice are included, bottled water, sodas and alcool are not. Of course, I realize with 3 kids it will be hard to get them to not spend all of your money:) , and if they're heavily into soda, buying them each a soda card makes a lot of sense. As for going ashore, you seem the perfect candidate for the get-off-on-your-own-and-explore method of touring (favoured by us, as well).
2. I'll spend hours standing in line.
The key to avoiding crowds: think off-peak times. The buffet will always have lines right at noon, the'll be lines to get off the ship right when it arrives (and to get back on about 20-30 minutes before it leaves) and the same goes for the dining room right at meal time. Leave the ship 45-60 min. after it docks (except if it docks very early in the morning, in which case early risers have the advantage), eat lunch at 1 pm (or check out the dining room for breakfast/lunch), and get to the dining room about 3-4 minutes after the time for dinner, and you should be fine.
3. I won't be able to get away from the thousands of people on the ship.
I like to swim in the early evening (here again, off-peak time). Also, each ship has an out-of-the-way lounge or room which very few people find; it can be your private haven!.
4. All cruisers are large rude white people who look down on the "natives".
Totally false - there are also large rude black people:D... seriously, one of the nice results of discounting of prices is the increase in diversity amongst passengers. On our 1 RCI cruise, even if it was a 4-day cruise, I found a nice mix of nationalities.
5. I'll be disappointed in the food & service.
Obviously, this depends on what kind of food and service you're used to, but considering the numbers they're serving, I find the quality of both to be very good. Indeed, after our last cruise, I had a major reality check when we spent a night in a Sheraton: they expected me to get my own ice?!?!?! No chocolate on my pillow at night?!?!?!

The best time on your cruise will be the first night - if at all possible, be on the promenade deck (usually the quietest) when the sun sets. Then it will be just you and the stunning beauty of a sunset over the ocean - and then you'll realize why you're on a cruise...

Sure there are crowds, but as a seasoned traveler, you already know how to avoid them. But here's an idea -- if you've been to islands often, stay on this ship while she is in port you've already visited. You'll have her almost entirely to yourself.

I think you may also find the food to be surprisingly good -- both in terms of quality and service. And you'll find a much greater variety and more alternatives than at the typical all-incllusive resort.

I was a skeptic too. But now we are hooked.

Excellent responses. I especially like yarcraftman's -- stay positive in front of your family -- that is very, very good advice. My wife asked me the other day "do you think they will stop the ship to get you when I throw you overboard?" She was joking. (hmmm. or was she?)

Okay, I'm already feeling tons better about this. One thing about cruisecritic.com -- I have spent a lot of time on a lot of travel boards, and I gotta say, I don't think there are any better than this one for positive attitudes (mostly!! :)) and valuable tips. I have probably read several thousand posts, and taken tons of notes from you experts. I have found that things are better if you have the proper expectations. I vow to have a fantastic time.

Guest cruzr44

We were reluctant our first cruise too. I wish I had found CC before we cruised. We spent way too much for our cabin and since it was our "first", we spent a fortune on ship photos. Now we buy one or two. I don't even know why we picked a cruise and wondered if there was going to be enough to do. Even if you have a line to wait in you get talking and before you know it you're there. I also think $6,200 is quite a bit, but then again, I don't know what you have for a cabin/cabins. You will be fine and it will probably not be your last cruise.

mx55mom@yahoo.com

sroberts@cruisebrothers.com

You will love the Rhapsody. We have been on her 2x, the last one Spring Break 2004. It is crowded, but there was always places to go that are quite. My 16 yo son, loved to go and sit it in the Viking Lounge during the day and look over the pool. He was either there or on the rock climbing wall. Deck 5 is a nice place to go that is quite. We booked a JS and loved to just sit on the balcony. Lines did not seem to be very long, maybe no more than 5-10 minute wait. As far as the nickle-dime,we did not buy a whole lot. We got the kids the soda card and waited till the last day to look over all the pictures before deicidng which ones we wanted to buy (everyday we gathered them up and put them together, so we knew where they were and did not have to constantly scan the display boards for them). Rhapsody is known as a friendly ship and she is, but as any place you will find rude people, just brush them off and enjoy your time of relaxing. We are so impressed with the Rhapsody we have already booked her again for Christmas 2005. Can't wait!

5 years ago we did our first and LAST all inclusive holiday in Mexico in Puerto vallarta.Don't get me wrong the food was excellent, the hotel facilities were good and we were right on the beach but I WAS BORED !! we were right next door to the port and every day saw a beautiful ship come and go. I said to my husband at least if we were on one of those we would at least have different scenery each day !! since then we have done 12 and are due to leave next sunday for our 13th and we have a 14th booked for April. We did feel " funny " on our first sea day when we realised that that was it and we couldn't get off til the next port but that didn't last long . We have done a transatlantic and due to do another. We actually prefer sea days now. There is always a quiet spot to be found if thats what you want. The food has been excellent on every Royal Caribbean ship we have been on and the service from the crew has been first class.

enjoy it for what it is:- a new experience .

I"m sure you will be hooked.

Hi

I would advise that a cruise is what you make it. Explorer the ship from end to end. We always find a total out of the way spot that there is complete peace and quiet. On one ship it was the helicopter pad. Try the complete front or back of the ship to get some relaxation without people.

Also the bars, lounges are usually completely empty during the day.

So if you want a quiet place to read etc go into an empty bar.

Don't do the ship's photo's... that is one line you can easily avoid. There will always be another oppurtunity to get a pic when it isn't busy.

If you don't want tour buses than don't sign up for those excursions.

Since you have been to many places before you probably know what you want to do. There are always taxis at all docks that can take you where you want to go. Right now we are going on a 11 day cruise... we have booked 4 excursions, plan on getting taxis in 2 places, renting a car for $30 in one and roaming the streets in the rest.

The price of your cruise does seem very high. Are you in a suite?

We can usually book a week with a balcony with air for two for under $2,000 and that is from Cleveland. We usually bring soda with us.

We go to the captain's reception for the free drinks and usually only get one or two more the reat of the week. Go to the cafeteria on the pool deck for juice, tea etc if you are hot sunning by the pool. Don't pay for the bar service that they will be pushing.

I usually am surprised at how empty the pools are. Most people are usually just sunning themselves. and there are always enough seats.

Hope some of this helps...

jku2

Our last two destination vacations were disasters. We were in Key West when the eye of Hurricane Irene went directly over us. I had bronchitis with a temperature of 103.5, we had no electricity, no air-conditioning, and could only open the window of our cottage an inch due to the wind and rain. The wind blew a plastic cup into the toilet which became plugged up. It was a wonderful night.

Last year we went to The Paradisus, a five-star upscale resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, and although the resort was beautiful, the food was mediocre. They had 11 internationally-themed restaurants, and they all were Dominican "imitations" of foreign cuisines which all fell flat. I would have much rather have had them do what they knew best, which would be Caribbean and Dominican fares. On top of that, virtually every single person there was sick almost the entire week with stomach problems. We even brushed our teeth with bottled water and still both came down with it. On the way back home, we talked to people from other resorts, and the same thing had happened to them, too. It had to have been some kind of national water problem or virus.

Since then, we have just done cruises. We know that things won't go drastically wrong on a cruise. The service and food will be excellent andreliable, and if there are hurricanes or bad storms lurking about, the ship will just change course and avoid them. And you can be as active or as slothlike as you choose, depending on the mood you're in each day when you wake up.

You didn't say how old your kids are. There is a kids area that has activities for children that keeps them busy all day. The lines to board and disembark are not bad. If you eat in the dinning room there are no lines at all. If you eat in the Windjammer buffet the lines are very short.

There are lots of places to be alone, even during the day. At night there are lots of places without crowds. The pool deck and celerium are deserted at night. As soon as you board go check out your cabin and leave your carry on luggage. go to the Windjammer for lunch, and then explore the ship to learn your way around.

Our first curise my wife and I were afraid to speen too much extra money and ended up with an additional charge of less than $50. Since they we have loosened up ALOT.

At each of your ports there is lots of things to do on your own without a tour. You don't need to go with the crowds.

The food is great. Not magnificent. There are lots of choices in the dinning room and you can have all you want. More than one entre, desert, etc. The Windjammer is above average.

I don't know another vacation I could take, where I travel to different places, get food and a room for about $100/day. Of course I get an inside cabin. I don't spend much time in the cabin.

Your family will enjoy the cruise and you will too if you give it a chance.

The main thing to remember is that most of the staff is there to make you happy. Treat them with respect and they'll do their best to give you what you want. We have always had excellent service on RCI.

We've been on 21 cruises and the food is anywhere from fair to excellent. RCIs food quality has improved during the last year. As you're on a cruise, if you get something you don't like, you can ask for something else.

It's a lot more fun to look for things to like than to look for the negative. A sense of humor goes a long way to making a cruise great.

As another poster said, one of the best places on the ship is the Viking Crown Lounge. Very few people there during the day.

You will probably have a great time.

I always gave a good time on vacation, except if my mate or travel partners are bad. Take for instance hawaii last month. Our friends are into just laying about and do not leave the resort, back to the room at 8....boring. So many nights DH & I went off elsewhere and if he did not want to, I would. So I feel it is up to me to have a good time no one else.

That being said, I was almost dragged kicking and screaming onto our first cruise. But found this board and knew more about the ship and destination than our well travelled cruising friends.

Now take this from a Roller Coaster freak. I do amusement parks, hiking things, some beach things and historical adventures and gambling. So I thought I was going to be bored. I am also slightly claustophobic. But guess what; I was blown away. I had the one of the best vacations in my life! And now DH has his cruise consultant license so we can cruise ven more!:D

His price is right on guys.And the very reason why (although I LOVE the Rhapsody,and she is only 20 min from my house) I am taking Mariner out of PC on my next trip,instead of the last 4 years out of Galveston.

Price on a balcony,our week of spring break...1569 pp (D1) and 3/4 persons from 599 pp.

Again,I love the Rhapsody...but for the price of sailing out of Galveston,to the same itinerary.I can fly to PC and sail on the Mariner for a comporable price.

You will have a great time...just be prepared for dealing with the Spring Break issues (kids,party mode)

Excursions,for 5...will add up figure a min of 35 pp,per excursion,if you choose to do some sort of snorkle or beach break,or Catamaran.Figure 100 pp if you choose to do something more adventurous.(Dolphin swim etc)

If you get to go to the Caymans on your sailing.Consider the Stingray City snorkle though either www.nativewaywatersports.com or Captain Marvins.

Going outside the ship will save some money,but can add some risks.Both of these tours for Stingray are very reputable,so you will be ok if you choose one of them.

Key West,not alot of excursions to choose from...for families,and with the time restrictions that Rhapsody is there.A lot of fun just to walk the town,and take in the sunset and activities.Dont forget the chocolate dipped Key Lime pie on a stick.Being that you have done many other land vacations...you probably do not need any advice on Coz :D

Rhapsody is not known for huge nickle and diming...as there are not a lot of extra pay facilities onboard...like JR's or the specialty restaurants etc...they have added a Ben & Jerry's and a Seattles Best.

By the cost of your cruise,it seems you have at least a Balcony room.These are nice,great locations.And in good shape.If you are in a JR suite or better,you will never notice crowds...(as you have a great escape)

Bit of advice,stay away from the Arcade (discuss this upfront,as it is in the kids area) it has crappy games and are 1&2 dollars a pop..adds up quick.

Take advantage of the top deck,up front at night...midnight or later great star gazing and usually no one up there.The library is a great escape also..a little balcony no one ever uses.There is plenty of quite seating in the Solarium,and in the area between the 2 pools.The public lounges are very quite during the day,I used to love to sit in Moonlight Bay and read...but that space has been used.Try the Viking Lounge,or Shall we Dance Lounge for other great views,and privacy.Deck 5 where muster drill takes place is a huge promanade type area..nice chairs,covered large area....no one hardly ever there.For your wife (or yourself) in the Solarium area...Sauna and Steam room..great very early in the AM to start off the day...or relax after a day in port,again..rarely used.The champagne terrace is a beautiful way to unwind,and people watch,and enjoy nice Piano or Violinist in the evenings.

We have only been on in September,but always on a sold out ship (but very few children) and have never had any problems with crowds or lines.

(except when leaving )

Wow. I continue to be amazed. I actually think that I am going to have a good time (I'm not just telling myself that, I'm actually beginning to believe it). These are great suggestions. To answer a few of the questions -- I'm in software sales, so money can be good, depending on the year. Kiddos are 12, 14 and 16 (we've told our 16 year old daughter "if you're going to misbehave, make it a good one, because it's the last time you'll see the light of day until college":D. She'll be with her two siblings, who will be more than happy to tell on her if she gets into any trouble. I think I"m prepared for the spring break issues -- I'll be a lot calmer once I get there.

Actually, they're great kids. Tonight at dinner, we went around the table, and everyone had to say at least one thing that they're looking forward to on the cruise. Everyone (yeah, even me) had multiple things. When I told them that there was a rock climbing wall, my son said "um, wait a minute. just how big is this boat" When I told him, he just said "whoa." That is a big compliment from a 12 year old.

Also, we're on deck 7, and have a balcony with the kiddos on the inside. We're near the back of the ship -- hope it is not too noisy from the engines (although that wouldn't bother me).

Again, I appreciate the good advice. I'm going to go off on my own once we get to port, I'm not going to get the ship's portraits, and I'm going to avoid any extras unless we really need them. I didn't have any idea that the ship had so many little places to get away to. I'm looking forward to exploring the ship.

Go online and explore your ship "virtually". We had great fun seeing the 360 degree views of the Explorer before we sailed last year. I found the beauty of a cruise to be that you can be as "busy" or relaxed as you want to be every day. There's something for everyone. Enjoy your balcony. You'll have it all to yourself and eat at off-peak times. Staying on the ship while everyone else is in port is also an excellent idea. I do hope you'll post when you return and let us know exactly what you thought!

The pools are crowded during the day at sea. The buffet is crowded for breakfast and lunch. So.....

Tips:

1 - Don't go to the pool deck. Go to the Pramande Deck and walk all the way down to the end. No one ever goes there. Find a lawn chair and take a nap!

2 - The bars and launges are practically empty during the day!:eek: Find a nice comfortable spot by a window and enjoy your time alone.

3 - Eat breakfast and lunch in the Dinning Room. It's amazing how many people don't know you can do that.

4 - Pick a port that doesn't appeal to you very much and stay on the ship. You'll have it all to yourself.

5 - Go to the Spa! Get a massage. Sit in the sauna. Soak in the hot tub. Relax.

6 - Room Service.

7 - Go to the pools after 5:00pm. Everyone is done with them by then.

8 - The Pool Deck is amazing all lit up at night! Do some star gazing.

My dad is going on his first cruise with us in June and has all of the same fears. You'll be as pleasantly suprised as he will.;)

Enjoy!

As far as standing in line to get on and off the ship, well, as much experience as you have with airports, you should be an old pro by now.

We are all misssing the obvious. Yes, there will be lines, rude people and sometimes staff that don't meet our expectations.

Instead lets focus on the fact that is it wonderful to have a nice career, that pays well enough to take the family. Great to have your family and be well enough to get around with them. As we have just witnessed many people losing family, homes and jobs.

As some posters said, it is what you make it. We consider ourselves grateful for being able to go places and be with family.

I think we get all to wrapped up in whether our dinner is hot enough, instead of hey we have surf and turf, how good is that!

One thing is for sure, I didn't have the horrible sickness from taking a cruise as I did by staying at an all-inclusive resort on the same year!! Granted that it was the Dominican Republic and we shouldn't have drank anything that had been in contact with ice (depsite the assurances we got that ALL the water was filtered). I found myself cautiously staying within a short distance of a restroom the entire time. I bobbed like a cork in the ocean and stayed in the pool and would up eating soup in the middle of July because it was the only thing I could trust that was heated to a sufficient temp that would kill the beasties. It will be a long time before I go all inclusive again.

On the other hand, I loved the cruise I took. So much so that now we are in better position to travel further than WDW, we have booked 2 cruises for this year. I loved the ability to get off the ship in different ports and explore the areas, see places that are much more beautiful than what I have seen in the past. I loved that I could eat when I wanted, with who I wanted (on NCL they didn't have assigned tables) and didn't have to worry that if I didn't eat in the main dining area that I was out a meal because I didn't reserve at one of the other specialized restaurants.

Sure, I could get a good deal at an all-inclusive but compared to what I paid for a luxury resort that was all inclusive where service was so-so, I could have booked 2 cruises on any cruise line in the caribbean of my choice.

I personally find the cruise more fun and more relaxing. I tend to find more people with my interests and tend to have fun throughout the day and night without feeling like I am limited to 8 AM to 10 PM and then back to the room (unless you can find a rip-off casino).

Ultimately, it's your choice on where you vacation and with whom but I for one like to brag that I visited 4-5 countries within a week and telling everyone I can what fun the cruise was.

Archived