Very Unhappy w/ NL Concierges on Zuiderdam

yotefan37

We traveled on the ms Zuiderdam full-transit Panama Canal sailing Sept 29, returning to Ft Lauderdale on Oct 14. During the cruise, we were very unhappy with the Neptune Lounge concierges. They consistently made reservations for the wrong days (multiple times), gave us incorrect information, and were totally misinformed about many happenings around the ship. Everytime there was any foul-up, they blamed us and did as little as possible to make it right. The running joke was that the only thing they could do was make change. Others on our trip had the same experience with them. In my previous experience, the Neptune Lounge concierges were absolutely fantastic, so it was discouraging to say the least. We noted our displeasure on the survey and chalked it up as a bad experience.

Today - the icing on the cake. We sent, after every port, postcards to our loved ones, mailed from the NL. We took the time to buy the postcards, write them, and paid a dollar per for international mailing. To date, only one postcard had been received. Well, I just found out that my SIL got the postcard we had mailed from the NL on Oct 5th. Lo and behold, it was postmarked from Ft Lauderdale on Oct 26th! It's so frustrating, not only did they wait until they got back to the states to mail them, but they waited until the cruise after ours got back to mail them. So much for my nephew having fun getting postcards postmarked from Nicaragua, Columbia, etc. I'll be call HAL guest services tomorrow, but just had to rant about this one.

Andrea

That sure wasn't the experience we had on the Maasdam. Always got the reservations we wanted. Excursions were properly booked. Always courteous and friendly. They reminded me of any special event. Couldn't say enough positive things about them.. Sorry your experience wasn't as good as ours.

We had the best Concierge on our Alaska cruise Sept. 13. She was on top of everything, called us by name and was a wealth of information for us. She should be there on our next cruise in Jan. to the Caribbean. Both on the Westerdam. Barb:)

Yikes! I hate to hear that. We sailed on the Zuiderdam in Alaska, back in July. The NL staff was wonderful, especially the person that we dealt with the most. We could not have asked for better service. I hope things will be back to that level when we sail in early 2010.

Joan

That sure wasn't the experience we had on the Maasdam. Always got the reservations we wanted. Excursions were properly booked. Always courteous and friendly. They reminded me of any special event. Couldn't say enough positive things about them.. Sorry your experience wasn't as good as ours.

That was our previous experience, too!

I was really very surprised at the concierges' lack of training (?) and professionalism on our latest cruise. For the majority of the cruise, they weren't even very pleasant to us - until 2 days before the end of the trip, of course. ;)

We sail on Tuesday on the Z, what were the names of the Neptune lounge staff?

Cheers,

Al

Al;

I hope you understand, but I don't feel very comfortable listing the names of the 2 concierges we dealt with. Seeing as they can't defend themselves, I think it's unfair to do that in a public forum. At the very least, I hope to discuss this with HAL first.

Let's just say - if it's the 2 we dealt with, you'll know right away, or HAL would have already fixed the problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Best regards!

Andrea

They report to the ships's Guest Relations Manager

and the GRM reports directly to the Hotel Manager

and the Hotel Manager reports to the Captain

IMHO, you should never, any under circumstance, be "afraid" to speak up with valid criticism .. if no satisfaction, the GRM should be contacted ..

if that doesn't help, and depending how upset you might be, the Hotel Manager's office can be easily located

I was on this cruise with Yotefan, and I will agree with her. Our experience was not so much that they messed things up for us, but that were very slow and didn't seem interested. Nothing like the other concierges we've encountered. Sad.

The only bright spot in the Neptune Lounge was Jerry, the server from the Pinnacle who kept the beverages and snacks stocked. HE was amazing.

Andrea, thanks for the heads up. I'm on Zuiderdam, same sailing as Al, also a suite. (We have a great roll call)

I read your OP before you had any replies, and like Al thought of asking "Who?" But, I also anticipated your answer :o because in your shoes I'd feel the same way.

After my cruise I'll try to remember to report in on this thread.

Of course, concierges are rotated, so it won't "prove" anything if things improve.

OT - Al, I'm inviting people to our cabin for sailaway Please check the roll call for details!

Today - the icing on the cake. We sent, after every port, postcards to our loved ones, mailed from the NL. We took the time to buy the postcards, write them, and paid a dollar per for international mailing. To date, only one postcard had been received. Well, I just found out that my SIL got the postcard we had mailed from the NL on Oct 5th. Lo and behold, it was postmarked from Ft Lauderdale on Oct 26th! It's so frustrating, not only did they wait until they got back to the states to mail them, but they waited until the cruise after ours got back to mail them. So much for my nephew having fun getting postcards postmarked from Nicaragua, Columbia, etc. I'll be call HAL guest services tomorrow, but just had to rant about this one.
You can't definitely blame the concierges for that. It could well have been the fault of the person who is supposed to empty the Front Desk mailbox drop slot (where the concierges would put postcards) and hand the contents to next Port Agent.

You can't definitely blame the concierges for that. It could well have been the fault of the person who is supposed to empty the Front Desk mailbox drop slot (where the concierges would put postcards) and hand the contents to next Port Agent.

Ya know, I love Holland America - love everything about it. It's extremely rare for me to criticize anything at all. But in this instance, I would go along with Andrea's assumption that her cards were forgotten at the Concierge's desk.

It really seems to vary. We had our first "weak" concierge on the Volendam in Sept, but prior to that all have been wonderful. I think it is a bit luck of the draw thing, since I understand they rotate that position. Perhaps they should rethink the rotating approach.

DaveOKC

I find the story about the post cards hard to believe. If foreign stamps were on the cards they could not be mailed in the U.S. There must be more to this story!

Thanks for the reply. That's what got me frustrated, according to my SIL, there were US stamps on the postcard.

I was on this cruise with Yotefan, and I will agree with her. Our experience was not so much that they messed things up for us, but that were very slow and didn't seem interested. Nothing like the other concierges we've encountered. Sad.

The only bright spot in the Neptune Lounge was Jerry, the server from the Pinnacle who kept the beverages and snacks stocked. HE was amazing.

Donna, your post made me laugh. One morning, when we were due downstairs for an excursion, and there was NO help to be found for 10 minutes, we actually asked Jerry for help! :eek:

He was such a nice guy! In fact, I thought the entire Pinnacle staff was amazing, in particular Yuri and Erik. Can't say enough good things about them.

Ya know, I love Holland America - love everything about it. It's extremely rare for me to criticize anything at all. But in this instance, I would go along with Andrea's assumption that her cards were forgotten at the Concierge's desk.
Could be. I only mentioned that because in the past we always dropped our postcards in the slot at the front desk, and on a couple of occasions had them arrive late and postmarked from a different port than they should have been. All I said was it can't definitely be blamed on the concierges.

Now we buy and write them along the way, but use US stamps and drop them off after we disembark. They get to the recipients much quicker now, and nobody minds! :)

The Neptune Lounge Concierges are actually personnel assigned from the Front Office who rotate in and out of the NL on a regular basis after receiving additional training. Like Lisa stated, the Guest Relations Manager, a "two-striper", is responsible for the Front Office. There are Front Office supervisors below him/her. Above the GRM is the Hotel Manager and above him/her, the captain who has ultimate responsibility for the overall management of the ship. If you have any problems/issues with the NL concierges, the GRM would be a good person to start voicing your concerns with

Thanks for all the great replies! Next time, if we find ourselves in this situation again, we will certainly escalate the issue(s) to the individuals you all mentioned.

Admittedly, we did nothing to complain about the service while we were on board. We didn't feel that any of the issues we experienced were so egregious that we needed to bring it to the immediate attention of management. Some friends (2 couples we know) on this cruise did, and by all accounts, Robin (GRM) and Marco (Hot Man), went out of their way to make things right.

For us, this was a case of many, many small problems adding up to a single big frustration, and we really didn't want to focus on these issues, lest our enjoyment of the trip be diminished in any way. Mostly, we are just truly surprised. Our previous NL concierge (Gilbert), was really exceptional.

Thanks for all the great replies! Next time, if we find ourselves in this situation again, we will certainly escalate the issue(s) to the individuals you all mentioned.

Admittedly, we did nothing to complain about the service while we were on board. We didn't feel that any of the issues we experienced were so egregious that we needed to bring it to the immediate attention of management. Some friends (2 couples we know) on this cruise did, and by all accounts, Robin (GRM) and Marco (Hot Man), went out of their way to make things right.

For us, this was a case of many, many small problems adding up to a single big frustration, and we really didn't want to focus on these issues, lest our enjoyment of the trip be diminished in any way. Mostly, we are just truly surprised. Our previous NL concierge (Gilbert), was really exceptional.

I hear that, the single worst thing I ever had to do on a cruise was complain about our steward to the Ass't Hotel Mgr. I don't regret it, but I did hate doing it.

Archived