Frustrated with room assignment

MOMOFTHREE68

OK, I have never booked gaurunteed before, but for our upcoming trip, all they had left in category 10 were w/ gauruntee. I was really hesitant to book, since my DH and I are in one room with 2 of our kids and my Mom is in the other room with our 3rd child. I told the cast member my concerns and she assured me they would do everything possible to keep our two rooms close together since we were linked. Well, tonight I went in to check our status and discovered my Mom and daughter have been assigned room 7001 (very front inside room) and my family has no assignment yet. So I called Disney to double check. They said the problem, of course, is because we are a room of 4. She looked in inventory and informed me there were NO other rooms available on deck 7, so there was no way we would be near my Mom and daughter. She was nice enough to play around with things and here are my options.

1. Leave my Mom on deck 7 and be placed very far away from her.

2. Put my Mom back into the system and they will 'probably' move us both to deck 2, since that is the only one she saw availability on. My Mom is a very light sleeper and I can't imagine putting her under one of the lounges.

3. Move one of my other kids with my mom (which I really don't want to do), so that we are 3 and 3, and then they can drop me into 2 Category 11 rooms and we will "probably" end up on deck 5. It would save us $200.00 but I don't want to lose my split bathroom.

I know I am probably over stressing, but this is my Mom's first cruise and she is very leary of it. I almost didn't book when they told me I couldn't choose my staterooms, but the Cast Member assured me that we would be by each other and hinted we would probably even be upgraded. I should have known better!

If it were me, I would go for option 2. Then you're assured your split bathroom that you want, plus who knows, maybe a possible upgrade to an oceanview if they are trying to fit you in close together.

I've been on two Wonder cruises so far, both on Deck 2 in the forward-mid area. Never heard a peep from the bars above. YMMV.

None of the cat 10's on deck 2 are under any of the clubs, only the cat 12's are under the clubs. I understand you wanting to be near your mom and other child, but you're only going to be sleeping in the room trust me. I'd think what's more important, being close, or having a REALLY quiet room for your mother. Deck 7 forward will be extremely quiet.

Update: Well, I had 2 things happen that helped with the decision. First, just after starting this thread, I went back in to my reservation and they had assigned us a room...a hidden porthole on deck 5! Then this morning I called my Mom and described the rooms and where they were. She loves the idea of the quieter room on deck 7, and never expected us to be that close together! My biggest fear was just her feeling like we were sticking her on a ship with my daughter then abandoning her off in a corner. It's funny how stressed you can get making sure somebody else is happy with their cruise. So, we leave both rooms as they are and really we are almost 2 decks below her and both have easy access to stairs and elevators, so it's not like we are on opposite ends of the ship.

Thanks for "listening." I just needed to vent for a minute but I think everything will work out well now.

I travelled with 3 families last Sept. I roomed with my niece's Mom, we are both 63, and we had a cat 9 on deck 2. The eight other family members (all younger) were all up on deck 8. It was fine. We were opposite the elevators mid-ship and had no problems getting around the ship.

My daughter is planning a Disney cruise Aug.2010 in Europe-the Western Med. My husband and I have been with this same family to the Baltics and South America; baby sit and bond with two grand children. Children are 7 now and 9. I hesitate to take a Disney cruise because the fares are so high; what do people in the 70's do on a Disney cruise? I wasn't sure what the "old" folks do for entertainment. Thanks, Barbara

I haven't gotten my Mom to do any research into what SHE wants to do yet (she's 71) but I should have some great answers after Jan. when I can observe her favorite activities first hand. I do know she wants to take in the spa, maybe, and is very interested in taking her daily walks around the deck. Not to mention the shows and food. LOL. Mostly she is just going to be with her Grandkids.

We really didn't have a choice, because we were originally 3 and 4 (one dropped out at the last minute) and when we booked, they only had gaurunteed rooms available in Category 10 or our next option was category 6. Luckily, it did turn out well in the end. I did look into making us 3 and 3 when we first found out we wouldn't be on the same floor, and were told even then we would only be together if we moved to deck 2.

Archived