Need Advice With Airline Seating

atlantic cruiser

Having been lying awake trying to come up with a possible solution to this problem and thought perhaps some fellow cruisers might have some advice. My husband and I are booked on Dec. 4 on the Journey Transatlantic cruise. Unfortunately my husband has terminal bone cancer and althought fit enough to travel at this point he nevertheless is very stiff at times and takes quite a lot of pain medication. Therein lies the seating problem. I bought our air through Azamara and with a letter from his oncologist was able to ensure that he would be seated in the bulkhead area to give him a little more leg room. I was going to upgrade to business class but was informed by the airline (Lufthansa that the airbus we are booked on, does not provide larger seats in business class just that they are further spaced apart. As he is not a especially large man that would not be of much help. At this point I have been told by the airline that this flight is only 50% full. I was wondering if anyone knows if airlines have a compassionate care program whereby they might let someone such as my husband sit in a first class seat if there are any unsold to enable him to stretch out. I have never had any experience with this kind of situation before apart from phoning the reservation line of the airline and received very little assistance. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately we have used up our air miles and to purchase a one way first class ticket is very costly. Thanks for any suggestions. Rhonda:o

I've flown Business many times, even in Lufthansa's airbus. If you can afford the fare, the seating is factors better than economy class. Plus you may be able to frequently get up from your seat and stretch wihtout having to walk the aisles.

I am not aware of any compassionate care program, other than not charging you for the bulkhead as a choice seat.

If you buy the seat next to you, make sure that they dont re-assign to someone or let someone else sit there after they close the doors. Not sure how they handle it when one person is booked twice...

It's not that uncommon for a passenger to buy 2 seats. If someone is larger, they will often do that to be comfortable. I agree that is probably is the best way for your husband to be comfortable. I don't know what kind of aircraft you are flying but if it's one with 3 seats in the center, that would be comfortable for you and your husband.

I'm sure the airlines would try to accommodate you by saving an extra seat for you but if the flight is full, they couldn't do that. The only way to guarantee that empty seat is to buy it.i

we have flown Lufthansa a number of times and usually fly business class which to my knowledge depending on the equipment was the first class seating it is usually two seats on the sides and 4+ in the middle most of them are recliner type seating that is quite comfortable, my best suggestion is to contact the airlines passenger special needs dept and find out what kind of aircraft you will in fact be flying on. hope that helps, best of luck to you both on your journey !!

serene56 - what part of Philly? I'm originally from FKD neighborhood.

I grew up in Kensington (and yes I still have my teeth)

(frankford & Tioga)

and now in Mayfair (frankford and Cottman)

Having been lying awake trying to come up with a possible solution to this problem and thought perhaps some fellow cruisers might have some advice. My husband and I are booked on Dec. 4 on the Journey Transatlantic cruise. Unfortunately my husband has terminal bone cancer and althought fit enough to travel at this point he nevertheless is very stiff at times and takes quite a lot of pain medication. Therein lies the seating problem. I bought our air through Azamara and with a letter from his oncologist was able to ensure that he would be seated in the bulkhead area to give him a little more leg room. I was going to upgrade to business class but was informed by the airline (Lufthansa that the airbus we are booked on, does not provide larger seats in business class just that they are further spaced apart. As he is not a especially large man that would not be of much help. At this point I have been told by the airline that this flight is only 50% full. I was wondering if anyone knows if airlines have a compassionate care program whereby they might let someone such as my husband sit in a first class seat if there are any unsold to enable him to stretch out. I have never had any experience with this kind of situation before apart from phoning the reservation line of the airline and received very little assistance. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately we have used up our air miles and to purchase a one way first class ticket is very costly. Thanks for any suggestions. Rhonda:o

Hi Atlantic Cruiser !

I wanted to say, that I feel the suggestions given, have been excellent. I agree, that calling Lufthansa, (I recommend asking to speak with a Supervisor), and explaining the situation. Hopefully, this might bring good results.

I also wanted to wish You and Your husband a wonderful Cruise on Journey. I hope everything works out in a way that will resolve your concern. I wish you the best of Luck ! Please let us know what happens.

:D

Serene56 -

North grad here - so lots of classmates from that area...

And 31,000 posts...remarkable for a ....dare I say...."Kenzoid".:D

31,000 posts and guess what- I have a full time job outside the house :D

PS- i sent my boys to Roman

I would suggest looking/asking in the Miles & More forum on Flyertalk for information on all things Lufthansa. Once you know the aircraft type for your flight, you can look on seatguru for advice on which seats are better or worse as well as what the seat dimensions are.

Business class certainly has more legroom (& width) than Economy and is a more pleasant/comfortable/expensive experience. Bulkheads don't typically have much more legroom and slightly less width as the armrests don't fold up. Exit rows have more legroom (and thus are coveted and usually snagged by elites who can reserve them earlier), but you also need to be able/willing to accept exit row duties in case of emergency. They also have fixed arm rests.

Flyertalk is your friend for flying questions, like cruisecritic is for cruising.

As the flight is only 50% full you may well get a row of 3 seats where your Hubby can stretch out, also as said before try and get an exit row seat but these are reserved for people who can operate the emergency exits .

You will have a great time on the Journey it is a wonderful ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Hve flown Lufthansa in business and cattle car. Somewhat depends on which plane they are flying that day, but I sure wouldn't bet on the plane being only half sold by flight time. If cost is not a major consideration, go with business upgrade. There is considerably more leg room (and a bit better service, too)

Archived