Cane Bay Snorkeling

cheffip

Does anyone have experience with an operator who will take people out for a snorkel trip at Cane Bay? I know you can go in from shore but the wall is pretty far out. Also how does the snorkeling at Cane Bay compare to Buck Island?

Does anyone have experience with an operator who will take people out for a snorkel trip at Cane Bay? I know you can go in from shore but the wall is pretty far out. Also how does the snorkeling at Cane Bay compare to Buck Island?

Hi, we are going in jan and after much delibiration and information seeking we booked a tour with buck island charters. They say buck island is still the best place to snorkel and even a local i met on here said by far buck island is the best place to go. Ihad read that some of the reef had been bleached and some people were not as happy with their trip, but overall the good out weighed the bad. Also i picked up a travel magazine in an office and it listed buck island in the top ten places in the world to snorkel. When are you going? If you are going after jan . i can give you some information when we get back. We are taking a cab to christiansted from fredriksted .i think it is about a 30 min cab ride. there is a dive shop at the cane bay resort, i can't remember the name (it may be cane bay dive shop) you can pull it right up on the computer.

Hi, we are going in jan and after much delibiration and information seeking we booked a tour with buck island charters. They say buck island is still the best place to snorkel and even a local i met on here said by far buck island is the best place to go. Ihad read that some of the reef had been bleached and some people were not as happy with their trip, but overall the good out weighed the bad. Also i picked up a travel magazine in an office and it listed buck island in the top ten places in the world to snorkel. When are you going? If you are going after jan . i can give you some information when we get back. We are taking a cab to christiansted from fredriksted .i think it is about a 30 min cab ride.

Hi there

I believe you are going on Summit?...I am too but on January 30. I will email Captain Heinz for more info...were there any issues making the connections for buck island charters with the ship arrival and departure times?

-Phil

Hi, i think we are on the same thread over on scuba and snorkeling and someone gave a not so good report about buck island. I did book with capt heinz and no problems with the boat schedule but you do have to hire a cab to take you there and back .He gave me a name and number of a cabbie i can pass along if you like. Now i'm debating buck island or cane bay myself again . I'm sure i have enough time to change my mind. This is the only island i have been going back and forth on. We are booked for the other 4 ports and a tour in san juan the day we sail. I'll keep you posted on any new information.

Hi, i think we are on the same thread over on scuba and snorkeling and someone gave a not so good report about buck island. I did book with capt heinz and no problems with the boat schedule but you do have to hire a cab to take you there and back .He gave me a name and number of a cabbie i can pass along if you like. Now i'm debating buck island or cane bay myself again . I'm sure i have enough time to change my mind. This is the only island i have been going back and forth on. We are booked for the other 4 ports and a tour in san juan the day we sail. I'll keep you posted on any new information.

I'm going back and forth too. Along with Antigua it's the only island I haven't been too before. I had an email this morning from Captain Heinz and the Cane Bay Dive shop and they both sound good! Are you doing more snorkel excursions on the other islands?

I'm going back and forth too. Along with Antigua it's the only island I haven't been too before. I had an email this morning from Captain Heinz and the Cane Bay Dive shop and they both sound good! Are you doing more snorkel excursions on the other islands?

Hi, i did book with capt heinz and will probably end up keeping the tour. The good reviews seem to outweigh the bad and buck island is still listed as one of the ten best places to snorkel in the world. We are snorkeling at every port so we should have a wonderful time. Some of the tours include other things as well and we did some half day and some all day , so we would have some time to shop and sightsee. Ithink we are going to look at some new snorkel gear today at a local dive shop. Although the sets we bought at sams club six years ago have been great. St. Croix, St. Lucia and St.kitts are new islands for us so we are excited about going there.

Hi, i did book with capt heinz and will probably end up keeping the tour. The good reviews seem to outweigh the bad and buck island is still listed as one of the ten best places to snorkel in the world. We are snorkeling at every port so we should have a wonderful time. Some of the tours include other things as well and we did some half day and some all day , so we would have some time to shop and sightsee. Ithink we are going to look at some new snorkel gear today at a local dive shop. Although the sets we bought at sams club six years ago have been great. St. Croix, St. Lucia and St.kitts are new islands for us so we are excited about going there.
Yes we are on the summit too, and you are correct we are going onjan. 16. Ican give you some info when we get back ,i know it will be to late to change but at least you will have some idea. this is also our first time on celebrity.Talk to you soon

Yes we are on the summit too, and you are correct we are going onjan. 16. Ican give you some info when we get back ,i know it will be to late to change but at least you will have some idea. this is also our first time on celebrity.Talk to you soon

St Lucia and St Kitt's are both beautiful. I've spent a week on each as well as cruise stops there and I know you will love them. My sixth time on Celebrity (though first on Summit). Would appreciate hearing from you when you are back since I may well make some last minute adjustments based on your feedback!!

I can't wait to see the new islands, st. lucia we are doing cosol tours, most of the reviews sounded great and st. kitts we are snorkeling with some new friends on cc. You must like celebrity if this is your 6th cruise with them. we have been on hal ,carnival and norwegian. I would have to say we like hal pretty well .we prefer their smaller ships. Carnival was great when wetook our 4 kids who were 17 to 24 at the time. I'm really looking forward to celebrity , ihave heard wonderful things about them. Although i can't say i have ever had a bad cruise .I guess you do have 48 hours to change your reservations and we will be back on the 23 rd . i'll be sure and repot back to you.

I can't wait to see the new islands, st. lucia we are doing cosol tours, most of the reviews sounded great and st. kitts we are snorkeling with some new friends on cc. You must like celebrity if this is your 6th cruise with them. we have been on hal ,carnival and norwegian. I would have to say we like hal pretty well .we prefer their smaller ships. Carnival was great when wetook our 4 kids who were 17 to 24 at the time. I'm really looking forward to celebrity , ihave heard wonderful things about them. Although i can't say i have ever had a bad cruise .I guess you do have 48 hours to change your reservations and we will be back on the 23 rd . i'll be sure and repot back to you.

Thanks...I'll look forward to your feedback. I think you'll like Celebrity if you liked HAL...great service and good food. I was on Summit's sister ship Constellation and thought it was quite elegant and not too large. It has a large thalassotherapy pool (free) which is pretty cool as well. Enjoy!

Good morning! I've snorkelled Cane Bay and Buck often and I've enjoyed each time immensely. Captain Heinz and the Cane Bay dive shop are both really well regarded operators so you can't make a bad choice here.

As far as differences between the two- Buck is of course its own island, with a super beach on the West side, a nice snorkelling patch on the East side where your boat will stop. Our wind generally comes from the East, which can possibly make the snorkelling side a bit choppy depending on what Mother Nature has up her sleeve that day. However, the captains here are super and will take excellent care of you. Chances are great that you'll enjoy your time looking at the reef. Coral reefs are living beings, and they get damaged by nature and humans; fish are transient of course, on their own schedule to boot, lol. Bleached coral carries its own message and lesson, which some may wish to overlook on vacation. There are veeeeeery few days the snorkelling is disturbed by wind, I don't wish to alarm you. Buck's West shore is shielded from the winds by the island itself, and is very tranquil. (I can see it from my deck!) There is also good snorkelling here, on the Northwest corner.

Cane Bay has a lot of charm too. It is a North facing beach and is generally calm. The Wall is a good snorkel, and an even better dive- and the amenities are good as well.

To me, Buck is a special place, as it all all a National Park and super carefully managed. I'd choose Buck for a more tranquil experience, and Cane Bay for a more live-it-up experience, if that makes any sense. If your luck holds out, you may see turtles, which is always wonderful. Either way, I do hope you have a good time. If you want to post here right before you leave, I can give you a detailed description of the weather at Buck!

Good morning! I've snorkelled Cane Bay and Buck often and I've enjoyed each time immensely. Captain Heinz and the Cane Bay dive shop are both really well regarded operators so you can't make a bad choice here.

As far as differences between the two- Buck is of course its own island, with a super beach on the West side, a nice snorkelling patch on the East side where your boat will stop. Our wind generally comes from the East, which can possibly make the snorkelling side a bit choppy depending on what Mother Nature has up her sleeve that day. However, the captains here are super and will take excellent care of you. Chances are great that you'll enjoy your time looking at the reef. Coral reefs are living beings, and they get damaged by nature and humans; fish are transient of course, on their own schedule to boot, lol. Bleached coral carries its own message and lesson, which some may wish to overlook on vacation. There are veeeeeery few days the snorkelling is disturbed by wind, I don't wish to alarm you. Buck's West shore is shielded from the winds by the island itself, and is very tranquil. (I can see it from my deck!) There is also good snorkelling here, on the Northwest corner.

Cane Bay has a lot of charm too. It is a North facing beach and is generally calm. The Wall is a good snorkel, and an even better dive- and the amenities are good as well.

To me, Buck is a special place, as it all all a National Park and super carefully managed. I'd choose Buck for a more tranquil experience, and Cane Bay for a more live-it-up experience, if that makes any sense. If your luck holds out, you may see turtles, which is always wonderful. Either way, I do hope you have a good time. If you want to post here right before you leave, I can give you a detailed description of the weather at Buck!

Thanks peacha!

I'm leaning towards Cane Bay so that I can hang around after and have lunch, walk on the beach etc. A couple of questions for you: 1) Cane Bay Dive offers a snorkel tour for $25. Will that get me "more" than going in from shore on my own? eg will it save me a long swim to the wall etc?

2) I've seen a couple of posts where people were disappointed that they couldn't snorkel because the water was too choppy from north winds. I'm going Feb1...what are my "odds" for snorkeling at that time? (and I will take you up on your offer of a weather report!:))

Thanks for the info. We have decided on buck island with capt. heinz and i think we are doing a half day. That way we have alittle time left over for some shopping and sightseeing, can you recommend good areas for some local handicrafts and general shopping? Cheffip and I can compare our trips ,it looks like he has decided on cane bay. Iwould like to do both but think we will run out of time since the ship leaves at 5:00.

Cheffip and I can compare our trips ,it looks like he has decided on cane bay. Iwould like to do both but think we will run out of time since the ship leaves at 5:00.

Hi cruisingfor six

I'm actually still going back and forth. What are you going to do for drinks/snacks with Capt Heinz since he doesn't provide anything? I was wondering if it would be a hassle to buy something in Frederiksted as well as lining up a taxi etc.

cruisingforsix - you can do some shopping in Frederiksted, there are a few store there and on days when cruise ships are in port about 20 or so vendors set up tables and booths and they sell local handicrafts, books, souvenirs, cloths, artwork. For a larger shopping area with more stores then you can head to Christiansted, various shops line the streets and alleys.

cheffip - you might see if you can bring some snacks off the ship. If not you could grab a few bagels and juice from the internet deli right there a short walk from the cruise ship pier. There may be a small convenience store in Frederiksted but I am not 100% on that, perhaps the peacha can confirm or correct where the closest convenience store is located. Capt Heinz is out at Green Cay Marina, you'd pass a few grocery stores heading there and could have the taxi stop at one of them so you can grab some snacks. You might also ask the captain for suggestions beforehand.

--Islander

Hi all-

I've always walked right in at Cane Bay and simply followed my nose, I can't tell you if the boat is a good value or not, so sorry.

Cheffip- there is a great place to pick up good food right at the base of the pier. I've had several very good lunches there- it's Polly's at the Pier. They have internet too. I've seen other people mention them on these boards. On your way to Green Key marina, you will go right past Schooner Bay Market- great deli, but getting sandwiches made can be a slow process. You can call them when your taxi leaves F'sted, and your sands. should be done by the time you hit the store. Be prepared for higher prices on grocery goods- it's a fact of life here.

Ha Islander I am an East End girl, lol. Not sure where to find a conv. store in F'sted, someone else will have to jump in. I'm going to have to stop by your store and say hello someday!

Yep I'll give a weather report, I check this board most every day. We should have brisk tradewinds blowing in Jan/Feb- I'll grumble if we don't- but they are usually not rough on the snorkellers. It's never stopped my Dad on his annual Jan. trip!

Cheffip - Polly's by the Pier... that is the name of the place I referred to as the internet deli close to the cruise ship dock. You can see what they offer on their website: http://www.pollysatthepier.com/. If that doesn't work and you don't find out whether there is a convenience store in Frederiksted then you can just stick with stopping at one along the way to Green Cay Marina. Schooner Bay that Peacha recommended makes good sandwiches.

Peacha - I don't own a store where you can stop by and say Hi. I do web related stuff. Since you mentioned being a St. Croix East Ender.... in relation to St. Croix I am a wayyyy Northsider... LOL... across the water.... St. Thomas. :)

--Islander

Peacha and Islander:

my thanks to you both for all this great information. just got news my that my cruise price dropped by $140 so I feel I can splurge on any excursion I want!

We usually order a big breakfast from room service and that usually holds us until our next meal. Ithink we are back at 2 ,We always take a case of water in a suitcase so we always have a drink and then n empty suitcase for souvenirs. Have you decided where you are going yet? It makes you crazy trying to decide where to go . If you are like us you don't want to miss anything. Ibetter check on the cruise prices , i usually keep an eye on those but haven't the last few days . Did they notify you or did you just happen to see it?

Yay price drops! That is always welcome news.

C'mon now cruisers, you can't possibly enjoy ALL the charms of an island in an 8 hour stop- don't worry about it. I've lived here for eight years and am still finding new treasures.

Make an educated guess, and plan on having a great time. (If the great time looks iffy, go Cruzan: rum drink, pause, reassess worry- rum drink, pause, reassess- rinse and repeat until happy, lol!)

Islander-a cheerful good morning, then... give a wave to the BVI's I can't see. I too work from a non-office and I have no idea how our paths might cross. But you always help on these boards so I say, thank you!

C'mon now cruisers, you can't possibly enjoy ALL the charms of an island in an 8 hour stop- don't worry about it. I've lived here for eight years and am still finding new treasures.

Make an educated guess, and plan on having a great time. (If the great time looks iffy, go Cruzan: rum drink, pause, reassess worry- rum drink, pause, reassess- rinse and repeat until happy, lol!)

Islander-a cheerful good morning, then... give a wave to the BVI's I can't see. I too work from a non-office and I have no idea how our paths might cross. But you always help on these boards so I say, thank you!

You are probably right about us not being able to do it all in 8 hours, but we're sure going to try to squeeze as much in as possible. Maybe we can keep coming back to see the rest.We are ready to come and enjoy. Definitely a drink is in there too. take time to stop and drink the rum. Loved the fruit infused rums ,best bananas foster ever!

Good advice Peacha. After 25 trips to the Caribbean I feel that with the right attitude it's almost impossible to have a bad time. Even if it's a rainy day, sipping a rum drink at a local pub and chatting with the locals is a treat...sure beats watching the snow fall outside my window up here.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, just registered so I could respond. I used to live on St. Croix. Cane Bay is excellent snorkeling and diving. The most convenient you will find. I got certified at Cane Bay Dive Shop, and you literally cross the street and you are snorkeling or diving. Very excellent. Buck Island is a nice day trip, very beautiful beach, but I can't say the snorkeling is that great---Cane Bay is much shallower, and a better snorkeling or dive experience. Have fun!

Archived