Cane Bay Snorkeling

cheffip

OK, just registered so I could respond. I used to live on St. Croix. Cane Bay is excellent snorkeling and diving. The most convenient you will find. I got certified at Cane Bay Dive Shop, and you literally cross the street and you are snorkeling or diving. Very excellent. Buck Island is a nice day trip, very beautiful beach, but I can't say the snorkeling is that great---Cane Bay is much shallower, and a better snorkeling or dive experience. Have fun!

Danice Jan

I will be snorkeling. Do you recommend going on my own from shore or with Cane Bay Dive Dive Shop ($25)?

• 1 month later...

Here's an update: I've signed up for a snorkel trip with Cane Bay Dive Shop. Their $25 package includes transportation from Frederiksted, the snorkel trip and a beach chair to relax afterwards. Seems like a very reasonable price with transportation included. I will report back in February on how it turned out.

Here's an update: I've signed up for a snorkel trip with Cane Bay Dive Shop. Their $25 package includes transportation from Frederiksted, the snorkel trip and a beach chair to relax afterwards. Seems like a very reasonable price with transportation included. I will report back in February on how it turned out.

Do you know if it includes transportation back to Frederiksted at the end of the day?

Do you know if it includes transportation back to Frederiksted at the end of the day?

In my email to them I asked if the price included to/from transportation and they said "yes" so I'm assuming there will be. In an earlier email they said they had a shuttle going back and forth between the Frederiksted store and Cane Bay.

In my email to them I asked if the price included to/from transportation and they said "yes" so I'm assuming there will be. In an earlier email they said they had a shuttle going back and forth between the Frederiksted store and Cane Bay.

Thanks for the info. I'm not going until May. Please report back on your experience if you can.

Now i don't know what to do. We are booked to do buck island but am thinking about switchingto cane bay. they list buck island as one of the top ten places to snorkel in the world. I've got 3weeks before we go so hopefully we can decide. we are booked with buck island charters ,but i am sure we have enough time to cancel and re book. do you go by boat to cane bay or is that right out from the beach? it that where they feed the fish dog biscuits?that doesn't sound so good for the sea life. I don't want to mess with the eco-system. Cheffip i will be waiting for your report.

Now i don't know what to do. We are booked to do buck island but am thinking about switchingto cane bay. they list buck island as one of the top ten places to snorkel in the world. I've got 3weeks before we go so hopefully we can decide. we are booked with buck island charters ,but i am sure we have enough time to cancel and re book. do you go by boat to cane bay or is that right out from the beach? it that where they feed the fish dog biscuits?that doesn't sound so good for the sea life. I don't want to mess with the eco-system. Cheffip i will be waiting for your report.

You may be thinking of Coki beach in St Thomas where you snorkel from the beach and the vendors sell dog biscuits. You can also swim from the beach at Cane Bay but this is a snorkel excursion by boat. We go a little further out and snorkel along the wall. Have fun at Buck Island. I'm sure that will be great as well. I just liked the idea of hanging out at a nice beach (with a restaurant/bar) as part of the experience.

Thanks for the info. I'm not going until May. Please report back on your experience if you can.

I will report back for sure, especially since St. Croix will be a new island for me (I've been to about 25 Caribbean islands). I hope to do quite a bit of snorkeling on this trip including Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas, Cane Bay, a cat in St. Kitt's and Eli's tour in Antigua.

Ok cheffip...

What is your cruise date? I keep checking the boards daily, as I promised you a weather update. I do so hope you enjoy your time here, and hope to help you as best I can!

Hi Peacha

I'll be in St Croix on February 1. Just make sure the forecast is for sunshine and calm seas please! LOL. :D

-Phil

Thanks Cheffip, now I know what day to order up perfect weather for you. I can tell you you would NOT have enjoyed yesterday's weather- we had 20 foot swells and massive surge. I was the the beach with my horses, our usual beach with about 20 feet of sand, water gently lapping at the shore. Yesterday there was no sand to be seen, and the waves were crashing down. One of my horses got knocked down by a wave, it was truly unbelievable. She is fine, have no fear- but it would have been a rotten day for boating or snorkelling.

Thanks Cheffip, now I know what day to order up perfect weather for you. I can tell you you would NOT have enjoyed yesterday's weather- we had 20 foot swells and massive surge. I was the the beach with my horses, our usual beach with about 20 feet of sand, water gently lapping at the shore. Yesterday there was no sand to be seen, and the waves were crashing down. One of my horses got knocked down by a wave, it was truly unbelievable. She is fine, have no fear- but it would have been a rotten day for boating or snorkelling.

Yikes..not a good situation but I'm glad all is well.

Have a Happy New Year's celebration peacha...and all the best for 2010.

I'm looking forward to your perfect weather forecast next month.

-Phil

I called Cane Bay Dive Shop too. There said for $25, there is no special snorkel trip/no boat ride provided by them to the "WALL" area. They provide snorkeling equipments if needed and lessons if needed. You are on the beach and swim over to the snorkel area by your own..200 yards, he said. Just want to pass this to you. Or maybe there is indeed a special snorkel trip and I didn't ask the right questions. June

I called Cane Bay Dive Shop too. There said for $25, there is no special snorkel trip/no boat ride provided by them to the "WALL" area. They provide snorkeling equipments if needed and lessons if needed. You are on the beach and swim over to the snorkel area by your own..200 yards, he said. Just want to pass this to you. Or maybe there is indeed a special snorkel trip and I didn't ask the right questions. June

Hi June

You are correct. I was confusing the snorkel trip with their scuba trip which I was also considering. Here's what they emailed me this morning.

"You have a snorkel/beach trip with transportation from our store in Frederiksted to Cane Bay where our main dive shop is located. There are also three bars/restaurants within walking distance for relaxation. Once at Cane Bay you will have a lounge chair and use of snorkel gear and vest if you like. You will need to notify the ladies at the dive shop about 1/2 hour before you would like to leave so that they know how many are ready when the vans come back and forth."

Still a good deal in my opinion and about half the price of a similar excursion to Cane Bay through the cruise line.

So, with Cane Bay Dive shop it's $25/person for transportation and chairs (or $50 for two people). A taxi for two people is $17 each way ($34 round trip).

We already have our own snorkel equipment. So, don't need rentals. Anyone know what the cost of the lounge chairs are?

are you sure ,it is 34$ round trip for 2 persons, I read it was 11$ a person each way. In fact we are 4 persons, so I would like to have the price for 4, Thanks.

I based it on the following:

Taxis prices should be around:

Frederiksted to Carombola 1-2 people $27: 3+ people $11 each. OW.

Frederiksted to Cane Bay around 1-2 people 17.00: 3+ people $9 each. OW.

Cane Bay to Christiansted 1-2 people $24: 3+ people $11 each. OW

Carombola to Christiansted 1-2 people $30: 3+ people $12 each $12. OW

Christiansted to Frederiksted - 1-2 people $24.00: 3+ people $11 each. OW

Which I got: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=963991&highlight=taxi

we took a van out there ourselves. Beware-they tell you at the welcome center that taxis run every 30 minutes and to just tell the driver when you want to be picked up but when we got there the driver insisted all 8 of us (we were in 4 different groups) were being picked up at 1pm (it was already after 10!) we argued with him and ended up with a 130 pickup. Ok bad taxi aside.....I snorkeled by myself. The wall is out a ways but there is plenty to see close to shore including some nice sized fans and brain corals. There was no current-very calm when I was there and shallow out some distance from shore. There were people diving there and I ended up seeing many things they didnt (turtle, stingray and two barracuda) and there were several other snorkelers but not at all crowded. There were some guys selling coconuts but they wernt pushy and stayed on the street. The beach area is small but nice. There is a place to eat across the street but we didnt eat there because surprisingly there was a lack of fish dishes! You can rent chairs for 6 bucks and there is some shade. If you can swim you can do this one without a tour.

We are also on the Celebrity Summit sailing on 1/30. Running a little late on making plans but Cane Bay sounds perfect. Can you post the e-mail address for Cane Bay Dive Shop? Thanks.

here's two:

info@canebayscuba.com

after my initial email I dealt with Suzanne, who was very prompt at replying:

suzhalcanebay@msn.com

see you there!

Had a nice day at Cane Bay with my Dad the other day. We brought our own chairs, and had a yummy lunch nearby. (It was a non- ship day, so no vendors for chairs- besides I have a pair that live in my car, lol.)

I didn't go in the water. Dad enjoyed himself but being an absolute tenderfoot, complained about the rocks/ coral. I reminded him that it was a dive/ snorkel mecca, and consoled him with a painkiller. All in all, a good day. He recommends the brisket!

So... keeping the beach ready for you folks!

• 3 weeks later...

So just to close off this thread...I did go to Cane Bay with Cane Bay Dive Shop. Since I was travelling there alone, for $25 it was a cost efficient way for me to travel rather than as a solo in a taxi (and I didn't have to pack my fins since snorkel gear was included in the price). I found the snorkeling to be very pleasant but not spectacular. Buck Island may be a better choice for that. But Cane Bay was lovely, a really nice Caribbean Beach that wasn't crowded, no hassles etc. There is a beach bar or two to grab a beer at and generally chill out and relax. So on balance, it was the right choice for me rather than being on a group tour to Buck Island. However different strokes for different folks!;)

cheffip-

a recent visitor to St. Croix said they thought Cane Bay to be "dingy" and ended up continuing to Carambola instead. Can you speak further to have the beach looked? Did you take any pictures you can share?

cheffip-

a recent visitor to St. Croix said they thought Cane Bay to be "dingy" and ended up continuing to Carambola instead. Can you speak further to have the beach looked? Did you take any pictures you can share?

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. I found it to be clean and very attractive. If you go over to Tripadvisor, most of the recent reports on Cane Bay praise the beauty of the place. Most negative comments seem to focus on the weekend scene there. I was there on a Monday which was quiet and serene.

Archived