Cannon Rebel T1i camera~ do they sell on Celebrity

De Colores

I am looking to buy the Cannon EOS Rebel T1i camera. I was wondering if anyone had looked at cameras on Celebrity ships, if they had this one and how much. We don't stop in St. Thomas until the last port which means we would only have it for 2 days of the cruise. I was just curious if anyone had any info on it.

Thanks in advance

I don't know if they sell them on the ship, but I priced them in St. Thomas last week & they were MORE than they are at B&H & several other US companies. They only had "kits". I have an older Canon DSLR & would only need the body. They bundled a cheap case & an even cheaper SD card with it, along with the 18-55mm lens & a no name spare battery. It was $850. I only saw it in 2 shops & both were the same price, but 1 place had a bigger & better SD card. Neither were SD HC type cards.

Added: The kit did come with the IS lens at both B&H & the kit in St. Thomas. I have the older non-IS lens, so I'd probably buy the kit, if I was to replace my XTi.

buy it from the internet. Its cheaper and you will get a US warranty not a gray market one. There are almost no bargains in the Caribbean(except liquor and booze) and definitely not one in electronics. You can find someone on line that will sell it tax free and pay shipping. I personally don't like B&H. Amazon has a good set of suppliers and you have someone to deal with if there is a problem.

Thank you everyone who responded. I have a Cannon rebel SLR and am hoping my lens will fit a DSLR so that I only need the body. Thanks for the heads up on the body/memory quality. I didn't realize they use a cheaper body on different kits. I saw the body for $555. on the internet and thought wow that is a good price. Chances are it is a inferior body. I am going to go to Best Buy with my lens and be sure they fit. I will probably get it prior to the cruise. Thanks again...

Happy Sailing~

De Colores, note that the lenses from your Canon SLR (Non digital!) WILL work on the T1i, but the lens from the T1i won't work on the older non-digital SLR. Any Canon EF lens will work on the Digital as well as the EF-S lenses. You can't use the EF-S lenses on the non digital cameras. They won't mount!

thanks geojobes, that is great to know. I have a very nice telephoto lens that I hoped to be able to use, and of course the basic one that comes with the camera. I will check out the website too. I am a very amateur photographer. I have a sony digital point and shoot but I want a DSLR (with auto features!) that I can use my nice lens with. Our upcoming cruise seems like a good excuse to get one now!

buy it from the internet. Its cheaper and you will get a US warranty not a gray market one. There are almost no bargains in the Caribbean(except liquor and booze) and definitely not one in electronics. You can find someone on line that will sell it tax free and pay shipping. I personally don't like B&H. Amazon has a good set of suppliers and you have someone to deal with if there is a problem.

Surprising that you don't like B&H. I have ordered from them as long as they had internet sales and never have had a problem with the orders or customer service. Check resellers'

ratings and you will find the B&H score highest among the New York camera stores and both also are among the top choices among professional photographers and amateurs alike.

Surprising that you don't like B&H. I have ordered from them as long as they had internet sales and never have had a problem with the orders or customer service. Check resellers'

ratings and you will find the B&H score highest among the New York camera stores and both also are among the top choices among professional photographers and amateurs alike.

Its a long story but I know the owners well(sort of)....and I still don't like them....

thanks geojobes, that is great to know. I have a very nice telephoto lens that I hoped to be able to use, and of course the basic one that comes with the camera. I will check out the website too. I am a very amateur photographer. I have a sony digital point and shoot but I want a DSLR (with auto features!) that I can use my nice lens with. Our upcoming cruise seems like a good excuse to get one now!

My neighbors from New Jersey are very nice and helpful.

Archived