Honduran coffee

mystone99

If you're at West Bay Beach, go to the cafe at Bananarama. The owner will grind the beans for you (if you wish) - she also sells fresh-baked muffins and breads that are delicious!

Depends on what they are selling.

As a coffee drinker i would never pay someone to grind beans, don't we all have a grinder? As far as coffee available, I stay away from the burlap bags of beans even though they look cool, obviously they are open to the weather and often they may be old stock. I live on Roatan from 3-4 months a year and buy Cafe mirimundo in a gold plastic bag, I buy more bulk so pay much less but even if just visiting I would not pay more that 6 or seven dollars a pound, these are beans, They do sell a ground variety but why?

These beans can also be ground extremely in a grinder for a more cuban type of coffee

Depends on what they are selling.

As a coffee drinker i would never pay someone to grind beans, don't we all have a grinder? As far as coffee available, I stay away from the burlap bags of beans even though they look cool, obviously they are open to the weather and often they may be old stock. I live on Roatan from 3-4 months a year and buy Cafe mirimundo in a gold plastic bag, I buy more bulk so pay much less but even if just visiting I would not pay more that 6 or seven dollars a pound, these are beans, They do sell a ground variety but why?

These beans can also be ground extremely in a grinder for a more cuban type of coffee

I understand what you're saying but when we arrived on Roatan our rental didn't have a coffee grinder (and no, we don't have one at home either), we were just thrilled that the shop owner was gracious enough to grind it for us so that we could have our coffee every day. We certainly didn't buy coffee beans from an open burlap bag and I'm not sure where you got that impression?

We're heading back down again in January and I will certainly go back to the same cafe for our coffee beans. We're retiring to Roatan in 2010 and the house hunt continues!

Roatan1, What store do you buy from? Eldon's in French Harbor?

Actually i buy it from where it comes in and dont know the name other than "the coffee place", I think now however there is a 20LB minimum but the cost then is still under $5US, it used to be 10LB but now we split it. In the main grocery it should still be only around$6 or so. I think Eldons/Sun carries it more than plaza mar. If your in the main tourist places i am sure it is $8-10 dollars

I understand what you're saying but when we arrived on Roatan our rental didn't have a coffee grinder (and no, we don't have one at home either), we were just thrilled that the shop owner was gracious enough to grind it for us so that we could have our coffee every day. We certainly didn't buy coffee beans from an open burlap bag and I'm not sure where you got that impression?

We're heading back down again in January and I will certainly go back to the same cafe for our coffee beans. We're retiring to Roatan in 2010 and the house hunt continues!

Never said you bought them from an open burlap bag did I???, Some of the beans are sold in 1lb burlap bags but I guess you just were not aware of that before making such a comment.

copan_bag_450.jpg

I also just figured coffee people would have a grinder at home, I have one and supply one at my home on Roatan for people to use when renting. With Honduran coffee so popular i figured most did the same. I do however suggest that people grind a few days worth at a time in case power is an issue in the early morning hours and the grinder will not work. Of course if they only have an electric coffee maker it is useless but again, as coffee drinkers we are set up to make coffee on the gas stove as well.

There's a cafe in my town that sells Honduran coffee, and I swear it's the best coffee I've EVER tasted in my life. I'll be on Crown Princess in 3 weeks visiting Roatan, and I'm beyond excited that I'll be able to buy coffee beans there to bring back home!!! I've never been to Roatan before...but I have heard alot about Banarama .. I'm guessing that's a good place to go for the day, as well as getting my coffee??;)

We will be on the same cruise !! Looking forward to the "Coffee Hunt" . Coffe for home, but is there a secial drink (beer or otherwise Roaatan is famous for ??

bp and capelli-- Bananarama has changed its name to Eco Roatan. Just FYI. As far as beers. Most cruisers will go for Salva Vida, a popular light tasting beeer similar to Bud. But there's also Imperial, more like a European lager like Heineken and some locals consider Port Royal to be THE quality beer of Honduras. There's also a very weak light beer, Barena, in a clear bottle which means it doesn't have a good shelf life and tastes like a poor cousin to a Corona.

Archived