Romance Package Price Change!

xu_chen

Decided to buy a Romance Package for our honeymoon cruise next month. Read so much about the Romance Package on this message board and also looked it up on NCL's web site last Friday! The $79 package looked wonderful and to be of great value too.

Well, called today to book it, and was told the price was changed YESTERDAY to $135. NCL almost doubled it!

I booked the cruise a month ago, both the agent and NCL are aware that it was our honeymoon, besides I wanted to place the order last Friday but just didn't get around to it. Explained all of this to NCL and all they would say is "sorry there is nothing we can do."

So we decided not to get it since we'd feel bad about it knowing we got ripped off just by calling a day too late. Very unfortunate that NCL could not be more accomodating with a SUDDEN and DRASTIC price change.

I'm surprised that the price stayed the same for so long (not that that helps you).

I had heard that the romance package was going to be discontinued all together, so I guess a price hike is better than having it not be offered at all.

Of course it's no longer the great deal it was...

Decided to buy a Romance Package for our honeymoon cruise next month. Read so much about the Romance Package on this message board and also looked it up on NCL's web site last Friday! The $79 package looked wonderful and to be of great value too.

Well, called today to book it, and was told the price was changed YESTERDAY to $135. NCL almost doubled it!

I booked the cruise a month ago, both the agent and NCL are aware that it was our honeymoon, besides I wanted to place the order last Friday but just didn't get around to it. Explained all of this to NCL and all they would say is "sorry there is nothing we can do."

So we decided not to get it since we'd feel bad about it knowing we got ripped off just by calling a day too late. Very unfortunate that NCL could not be more accomodating with a SUDDEN and DRASTIC price change.

Yikes! How frustrating! Have they added anything to the package? I haven't done the math yet, but I wonder if it would be worth it anymore.

Enjoy your honeymoon - make your own romance package!!! :D;):)

That really stinks! :(

So much for anybody ordering that package anymore!:(

Hi - sorry that you're feeling "ripped off" but I don't see how NCL ripped you off? If you had booked a few days earlier, you would have paid $79 yet by your own admission you didn't get around to it until today.

Prices go up and down all the time - that's not a company ripping you off, that's just a fact of life.

Go and enjoy your cruise - you can still have dinner in LeBistro, you can still order chocolate covered strawberries and wine to be delivered to your mini-suite, etc. The only thing you can't do is all of the above for $79 - if you want the package you'll need to pay the going price.

Unfortunate, but saying you were "ripped off" is a bit dramatic. If you were thinking of booking a cruise yesterday but didn't, the price might be higher when you decide to book today.

Those rip-off artists at my local supermarket increased the price of eggs this morning. I guess I should have bought them yesterday.

Yikes! How frustrating! Have they added anything to the package? I haven't done the math yet, but I wonder if it would be worth it anymore.

Enjoy your honeymoon - make your own romance package!!! :D;):)

No changes except for the price. In fact, when I called her I just asked for "The $79 package" and the agent knew exactly what it was. Then come an awkward long pause... then come the "I'm so sorry."

Yeah for $135 we might as well pick our own champagne, go to Cagney's, skip the canapes and get some souvenirs, etc. OR better yet upgrade to AE. (Currently booked on AF)

Those rip-off artists at my local supermarket increased the price of eggs this morning. I guess I should have bought them yesterday.

Kinda like the gamble we take everyday with the price of gas---

Especially when I fill up my tank, only to see the price drop by $.05 the next day.

Somehow, it never ends up I fill up when the price is lower!:confused:

Unfortunate, but saying you were "ripped off" is a bit dramatic. If you were thinking of booking a cruise yesterday but didn't, the price might be higher when you decide to book today.

:) OK "ripped-off" is too strong of a word. But still, the price change is drastic enough that paying the new price would result in sour taste in our mouths. My wife and I are compulsive shoppers and that's just the way we are. I'm not angry or anything, just a little disappointed at missing out on a great deal (happens a lot, trust me), and also a little bit shocked at how inflexible NCL's customer service is. My supermarket always honors last week's prices if I bring in a flyer, I guess that's what keeps us going back there!

Yikes-I talked to my PCC about ordering it last week, but I didn't get around to calling him with my Credit card number. Guess I won't need to worry about it now :(

:(You and your wife will just have to find goodies to enjoy when you get off in port.;)

Whoa! I'm so glad I ordered my package early. I'm surprised they did this, if these boards are any indication this was a very popular package. Or maybe they're trying to increase the numbers of people buying the spa packages, since those are so high priced, and won't seem that bad anymore in comparison.

OR better yet upgrade to AE. (Currently booked on AF)

That's what I would do.

Honestly, I used to always order the romance package, but since I have sailed in suites the last two times, a lot of what is in the romance package is already included, not to mention some other, even better perks.

Prices go up and down all the time - that's not a company ripping you off, that's just a fact of life.

Most other kinds of service companies would give you advance warning, and invite you to lock in the current rate. No, not the local gas station, not the grocery store; those are NOT at all the same kind of product. Cruises are discretionary, service oriented, and utterly dependent upon the good will of their clientele. This warningless maneuver of NCL corporate strikes me as poor management. NCL corporate, this [de]motivational poster is for you:

dub dub dub dot despair dot com slash ap24x30prin dot html.

After my upcoming 2010 Pearl cruise, I will start casting my gaze much farther afield for my 2012 cruise. NCL seems only able to learn the hard way: Disloyalty begets disloyalty.

:) OK "ripped-off" is too strong of a word. But still, the price change is drastic enough that paying the new price would result in sour taste in our mouths. My wife and I are compulsive shoppers and that's just the way we are. I'm not angry or anything, just a little disappointed at missing out on a great deal (happens a lot, trust me), and also a little bit shocked at how inflexible NCL's customer service is. My supermarket always honors last week's prices if I bring in a flyer, I guess that's what keeps us going back there!

Yes, bummer when it was only one day but WHERE do they make the cut off when the next person says it was only two days?

The wine isn't that great anyway.;)

Most other kinds of service companies would give you advance warning, and invite you to lock in the current rate. No, not the local gas station, not the grocery store; those are NOT at all the same kind of product. Cruises are discretionary, service oriented, and utterly dependent upon the good will of their clientele. This warningless maneuver of NCL corporate strikes me as poor management. NCL corporate, this [de]motivational poster is for you:

dub dub dub dot despair dot com slash ap24x30prin dot html.

After my upcoming 2010 Pearl cruise, I will start casting my gaze much farther afield for my 2012 cruise. NCL seems only able to learn the hard way: Disloyalty begets disloyalty.

What comparable services tell you to lock in your price now? Airlines? No.

Hotels? No. Car Rental companies? No. Railroads? No. Bus lines? No.

Care to provide an example?

Yes, bummer when it was only one day but WHERE do they make the cut off when the next person says it was only two days?

The wine isn't that great anyway.;)

Well IMO:

1. If NCL wants SATISFACTORY customer service - forward my request to a supervisor, then give the old price to me

2. If NCL wants GOOD customer service - price change depends on when cruise was booked, honor the packages prices that's available at time of booking

3. If NCL wants EXCELLENT customer service - honor old price if a customer was aware of it, but change price on web page, brochures, welcome board booklet, etc.

Just worries me a little bit that if NCL's customer service (which I would rate FAIR) is so inflexible, what if something goes wrong on my cruise? Are they always going to take the hard line against me no matter what? Are they in financial trouble?

At the end of the day, NCL sells happiness and they could have sold me some more happiness. It's not like they lose money with $79 anyways.

What comparable services tell you to lock in your price now? Airlines? No. Yes! When airlines started charging for check-in luggage, they still honored free check-in luggages for those who booked the flight before they made the announcement.

Hotels? No. Car Rental companies? No. Railroads? No. Bus lines? No.

Care to provide an example?

Most retail stores will always honor such a request, unless the item was on "clearance". $79 was not a "limited-time offer".

Well, this is very disappointing.:( That was one of the great on boards gifts to get. I can't imagine what the extra $56 is for:confused: The sparkling wine isn't even a full size bottle, Le Bistro is a $15 surcharge each, The photo we got was as lousy quality, what's that worth $8 - $10? How much ar the strawberries anyway, $12-$13? A bottle of house wine, $17-$18? Ok so I guess if they are trying to get rid it of, raising the price is the best way to do it, but I think it's a mistake. I say give people what they want at a fair price or cut it outright. $135 is neither fair or reaonable. One more sad face for you, decison maker at NCL.:(

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

But ya know what? I'm gonna have a good time anyhow! :D

Well, this is very disappointing.:( That was one of the great on boards gifts to get. I can't imagine what the extra $56 is for:confused: The sparkling wine isn't even a full size bottle, Le Bistro is a $15 surcharge each, The photo we got was as lousy quality, what's that worth $8 - $10? How much ar the strawberries anyway, $12-$13? A bottle of house wine, $17-$18? Ok so I guess if they are trying to get rid it of, raising the price is the best way to do it, but I think it's a mistake. I say give people what they want at a fair price or cut it outright. $135 is neither fair or reaonable. One more sad face for you, decison maker at NCL.:(

It is disappointing. Even though we got some of those things, the wine and the strawberries, with the suite, it still was a good buy. I would think twice at the new price.

I wasn't aware the sparking wine was not a full size bottle. It looks like it. I still have it and it's the same size as the bottle of Moet we got.

I took the percentage off on another picture since we didn't go to the party and the cake...yuck!

Archived