Travel Insurance---HAD TO USE IT AGAIN

ORD1166

DW and her sisters were to leave on Majesty next week. But, I spent the morining with the TA canceling thetrip. One of my sister-in-laws was in wreck over the week end and got pretty banged up. She is in the hospital and wont make the trip. she is doing ok and hopefully she get out the hospital next week.

When we set the trip up I took out travel insurance and it looks like it will cover all 4 of them for missing the trip. At least the will get thier airfare, hotel stay and crusie monies back. That's 2 out of the last 3 cruises that we had to file a claim on the insurance. Best couple dollars we have spent this year.

I am really now a frim beliver in travel insurance. I may not need to use it, but the peace of mind knowing that you are coverd in case something happens is well worth the couple of dollars spent.

Sorry for the situation your DW & SIL is in...I agree the few extra dollars spent on travel ins. is a no brainer...wouldn't ever consider booking anything with out adding ins. it's not worth the worry...you never know...:confused:

DW and her sisters were to leave on Majesty next week. But, I spent the morining with the TA canceling thetrip. One of my sister-in-laws was in wreck over the week end and got pretty banged up. She is in the hospital and wont make the trip. she is doing ok and hopefully she get out the hospital next week.

When we set the trip up I took out travel insurance and it looks like it will cover all 4 of them for missing the trip. At least the will get thier airfare, hotel stay and crusie monies back. That's 2 out of the last 3 cruises that we had to file a claim on the insurance. Best couple dollars we have spent this year.

I am really now a frim beliver in travel insurance. I may not need to use it, but the peace of mind knowing that you are coverd in case something happens is well worth the couple of dollars spent.

I do hope all get well soon.I have to agree with you on travel ins.My wife and i crossed into the USA for a overnight stay we did nit feel we needed ins. for a weekend trip.At the game we attended my wife fainted ,an ambulance was called and she was taken to the hospital ER .the se rvice we received was fantastic and after several tests she was released without any side effects.

The bill for 3 hours and tests totalled $5000.00 US.we now have year round ins that cost us less than $500.00 total for both of us and we are seniors.

Who did you book your travel insurance with?

Pinkroses, we used Travel Insured International. This is one our TA has to offer and it is the thrid time we have used them. Thier pricer are reasonable. Your age and trip cost figure in the price.

Excellent choice for trip insurance! But...it does cost more than "a couple of dollars". For the record, I am a trip insurance cheerleader! (Although the last time I wore a real cheerleading outfit was in 1963. It's in a museum somewhere) Trip insurance - I never travel without it!

We won't book a cruise without it. Last year we had to cancel a TransAtlantic cruise due to an injury and now we have two cruises in the pipeline that we will have to cancel also. Thank heavens we won't lose everything.

Not sure about the RCI insurance. We always get ours through the TA. We had to cancel a Sept. trip due to my developing two blood clots (Deep Vein Thrombosis - DVTs) after minor knee arthoscopy surgery in August. The TA really helped us fill out the claim form and we were reimbursed for the trip and the plane tickets.

We had to de-cruise when my DH's father was killed in an accident. After much fighting with the insurance company we received the equivalence of 4 days cruise fare of a 10 night cruise plus 4 last minute one way tickets home ($3200). Thankfully, the gate agent at US Air in St. Thomas upgraded all 4 of us to first class when he saw what a state we were in.

One way or another we were going home, I made the mistake of buying the tickets and traveling without calling the 800 number first but in the end we were reimbursed.

I would recommend to everybody to buy insurance unless you are really rich and can afford all the unexpected things that can happen. I had always though about pre-cruise and cancellation but not about having to de-cruise.

Not sure about the RCI insurance. We always get ours through the TA. We had to cancel a Sept. trip due to my developing two blood clots (Deep Vein Thrombosis - DVTs) after minor knee arthoscopy surgery in August. The TA really helped us fill out the claim form and we were reimbursed for the trip and the plane tickets.

We, have used one that TA recomended. The company is Travel Insured International. By the time I got back home today, Insurance company had email me the forms that were needed.

Go with a private company. RCI used to use "Berkeley Insurance". (sp) Check it out on-line. Don't know what they use now. I would never pay for cruise line insurance.

As far as I know RCCL still uses Berkeley...we have had to file a claim with them before and they were great... very prompt and great customer service..made everything very easy....

That's 2 out of the last 3 cruises that we had to file a claim on the insurance.

Sorry for your bad luck. But I have to wonder if frequent claims will effect your rate or availability of travel insurance in the future. At some point, can they legally consider you high-risk? I sure hope not but I'm wondering how that works.

Ray

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was told it is always better to include the insurance when you book because of pre-existing conditions. You don't pay for it until final payment, but at least it shows when you took out the policy. Am I correct?

Archived