Gluten free meals...

RedSox5

I've searched on the message boards and read a lot of your helpful advice and feedback regarding gluten free dietary restrictions while cruising on Celebrity. The only thing I didn't see, which I'm curious about, is some examples of the gluten free meals that are served? Also, are there gluten free appetizers, soups, and salads prepared as well?

I wonder if any cruise line has ever thought of having a gluten free cruise one week a year, or something? They could have tons and tons of gluten free food!! :rolleyes: Seems like they have cruises for just about everything else!

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

I observed a passenger on our last cruise who spoke to the maitre d on boarding, re the special diet. She was asking the same type of question you have re a menu. She was told that he would set up a meeting with the head chef to get the info she wanted. It sounded like it was something she was going to work out personally with him, and there was no set menu.

At least that's what the conversation pointed to. And I think it was a good idea to set up that meeting so everyone is on the same page.

This like all other special diet request should be made with you TA at time of booking or at least a head of time. The kitchen will then be prepared and have a variety of food for you paticular diet.

I doubt that there would be enough people taking a Gluten free cruise. Although their are many who are required to eat Gluten free it would still be a small number compared to the overall number of cruisers.

And those that are not on a restricted diet do not want to sail on a ship with a restricted diet

Just my opinion

My wife needs a gluten-free diet and we always have our TA contact Celebrity in advance, then see the maitr'd upon boarding to alert them again. The asst. M'd. will bring my wife the menu for the following day and she makes her choices ahead of time (this is a perk for me since I always know what the future dining menu is!)...some sauces or certain dishes are just not possible but most things they can make specially without any gluten. They also have gluten-free bread for her everyday which is a real treat. Celebrity has always been very good about catering the food to my wife's needs and it's why we cruise so often as opposed to dealing with restaurants at various locations abroad which cannot be depended on to provide absolutely gluten-free food. Enjoy your cruise!

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the gluten-free menu contains the same meals as the regular menu, just prepared differently (maybe without sauce, for example)?

Thanks for your help. I was just diagnosed with Celiac's and we're just about to book a cruise so it's a little overwhelming!

Celebrity is wonderful for Celiacs. There is always fresh gluten free bread at the buffet and restaurants. You will be able to order most of the meals, and they will make clight modifications if they need to.

I just got back from my cruise on the Soltice, and I miss the food already. We ate in Blu... the meals were fantastic, and the gluten free desert.... well, let's just say I put on a couple of pounds!

Gluten free bread sounds great! You said they have it at the buffets? How does that work? Do you have to ask for it, or is it just out with the other bread, but separated and clearly labeled? I apologize for all of the questions- this is all so new to me! :rolleyes:

Here is the info from the T/A portal:

Special Menus

In designing the ships' menus, chef Michel Roux considers all dining preferences to reflect contemporary choices as well as healthful considerations. Among Celebrity's fleetwide menu offerings are:

Lean and Light

Created in consultation with nutritionists from Duke University, selections offered on lunch and dinner menus meet the national recommendation set by the American Dietetic Association and the American Cancer Society as having less than 30 percent of their total calories from fat. The nutritional values for some of these dishes are indicated on the menu.

Vegetarian

A separate vegetarian menu is provided at dinner that includes both vegan and lacto dishes. Children's Menus

Colorful menus with special children-friendly choices are served to young cruisers at lunch and dinner.

Diabetic, Low-sodium, Low-fat, Low-cholesterol, Lactose-free and Kosher These special meals can be provided on all vessels when requested in advance. Requests must be submitted in writing to our Special Services Department no later than 21 days before sailing (60 days for Europe and South America sailings). Guests should confirm arrangements with the restaurant manager on the day of boarding.

Note: Kosher meals are prepackaged and are only available for dinner

Were two weeks into having gluten free meals on the Equinox with 2 more weeks to go. They are doing a wonderful job. I like how the Equinox buffets are set up so you can get food that isn't cross contaminated.

For the dining room you order your dinner in advance and they modify it to be gluten free so you can order just about anything. The deserts are a little repetitive but we asked about that so they are going to try and mix it up. You can get all the creme brulee and chocolate mouse you can handle. :-) But last night we got crustless cheese cake which was good. I explained to them that it needed to be made that way and not just have the crust cut off so they did and I did not get sick.

Cheers!

Michelle

We were on the galaxy last year and GF was easy. They were SO accomodating. DH loved that we got a sneak peak of the menu the day before. I am at the point where I'm not really comfy traveling an other way. We had thought about going to an all inclusive but I know I'll be fine celiac wise on a celebrity cruise.

I can second all the comments that Celebrity does a wonderful job accommodating passengers that need a gluten-free diet. We frequently cruise with a friend who must eat gluten-free. Celebrity treats him fabulously and he raves about the food they prepare for him. It's nice to know they care so much!

ENJOY!

Ironically, we were planning a Celebrity cruise for a few months now and never ever in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I would end up with Celiac's almost overnight. Funny how things work out sometimes... I picked the best cruise line (duh! ;)) and the best cruise line for GF meals without even knowing I would need it! :D

RedSox ~ our daughter developed a dairy allergy almost overnight so we know how important it is to have people understand and care about your health! I think you'll be very happy with Celebrity's service in this area!

Hey what if your allergy consists of a few items as opposed to a generalize category such as gluten or dairy? I just found out that I'm allergic to apples, carrots and celery. Do they totally change a menu, or just leave stuff out? Can you still have food almost the same as the original menu?

It's all new to me. I just pick stuff out or ask not to have it (especially the veges). anyone have any insight into this? thanks

RedSox ~ our daughter developed a dairy allergy almost overnight so we know how important it is to have people understand and care about your health! I think you'll be very happy with Celebrity's service in this area!

Thanks :) I developed Celiac's very suddenly, too. I've always been very pleased with all aspect of a Celebrity cruise, so I fully expect that I will have a wonderful experience yet again :D

Anne- I have been Lactose intolerant for something like 20 years. The lactaid pills don't work well for me, but I found a different over-the-counter pill that works fantastic! You only take one a day (two for the first week or so) & you can eat anything you want! If you will e-mail me, I will give you the name (I don't remember it exactly right now & I am at work)

Anne- I have been Lactose intolerant for something like 20 years. The lactaid pills don't work well for me, but I found a different over-the-counter pill that works fantastic! You only take one a day (two for the first week or so) & you can eat anything you want! If you will e-mail me, I will give you the name (I don't remember it exactly right now & I am at work)

Anne (& anyone else that is interested) the medicine is called Digestive Advantage - Lactose Intolerance Walgreens & Wal-Mart in St Louis carries it is right where the lactaid pills are & it is in a green & white box.

This is information provided by Royal Caribbean/Celebrity

The ship does not have a gluten-free menu per se. However, there is a daily

alternative menu that includes plain, roasted beef, chicken, fish, plain

rice and baked potatoes. The ship also bakes gluten free bread.

We do not provide goat’s milk, almond milk or rice milk. We do provide soy

milk, lactose-free milk and vanilla-flavored Ensure. These items are

provided free of charge. Please note - we do not specify brand name, type

or flavor of soy milk or lactose-free milk.

Guests are allowed to bring on board their own supply of dry, nonperishable

food items such as cookies, chips, cracker, energy bars, etc. You may also

bring individual packets of your favorite salad dressing.

Royal Caribbean International will not receive, store prepare or serve any

meals brought on board by our guests. These meals will be discarded

immediately.

Once on board please meet with the Maitre 'd to review the menus and address

any questions you may have. Please note - if you choose to dine in

food venues other than the Main Dining Room it is required that you meet

with the Restaurant Manager for that particular venue. This is to ensure

that your needs are properly communicated to the staff.

Cruisingly Yours

Just made me think of yet another question :p

For those of you that are gluten free and have sailed on Celebrity before, do they provide a GF salad dressing (even if it's just oil and vinegar) that you can have?

RedSox ~ sent an email to my friend but haven't heard back yet. Don't know if they are home and checking email this weekend. As a mom whose child has an allergy, you will be shocked how many products contain something you can't have. We have become very adept at reading ingredients. And the web is fantastic for looking up products and what they contain. We've come along way in providing products for those with allergies. We have a new grocery store that has a TON of gluten free products. I'll have to go look up their name. I'll be back as soon as I hear from our friend!

RedSox ~ sent an email to my friend but haven't heard back yet. Don't know if they are home and checking email this weekend. As a mom whose child has an allergy, you will be shocked how many products contain something you can't have. We have become very adept at reading ingredients. And the web is fantastic for looking up products and what they contain. We've come along way in providing products for those with allergies. We have a new grocery store that has a TON of gluten free products. I'll have to go look up their name. I'll be back as soon as I hear from our friend!

Thanks, Anne- you rock!

Archived