Where to snorkel in Cozumel

stunned

Better snorkeling will be found from a boat. If I was to snorkel, I'd want to go to Palancar Reef. You could easily do this with a boat snorkeling trip from Playa Palancar.

If you only want to snorkel from shore, the Chankanaab Park is probably your best choice.

Given the option, I recommend a boat trip. Tropical storm Wilma devastated the near shore reefs at Coz.

It takes many years for the reef to rebuild itself; however, marine life still visits these reefs, so it's not a total waste.

Fortunately, there was minimal damage to the off shore reefs.

There are a number of excellent snorkel/dive operators at Coz. I use Eagle Ray.

They mix divers and snorkelers, but each group has a guide and there have always been only about eight total on board.

Whichever operator you choose, I strongly suggest taking the "full" day trip.

The shorter half days usually only go to the near shore reefs.

The standard "full" day itinerary includes Columbia and Palancar reefs. Last time we went to Punta Sur for a third stop. it was magnificent, Marvin! :D

Our boat stopped at Palancar Beach for lunch on the return. There are plenty of taxis at Palancar so you can bail out here if you don't want to boat ride back to the dock.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

This is an excellent guide for activities at Cozumel:

http://cozumelinsider.com/index.php

• 2 weeks later...
The Money bar. Short taxi ride, no entry fee. good snorkeling just 100 ft. out. You should buy some drinks or lunch there.

Ditto w/above. Anywhere between Presidente and Fiesta Americana is good, shallow snorkeling. Money Bar is about halfway between the two. You can start from just past Presidente, pretty rough on the feet getting in (wear booties) but well worth it, and finish at Money Bar, or start at Money Bar and finish at Fiesta Americana's small beach at walk in area. We stayed at FA and just walked the road to get between the two, a pretty healthy walk.

Good burgers & drinks at Money Bar too.

• 3 weeks later...

If I was coming into the International Pier, I'd go to the money bar.

If I am coming into Punta Lagosta, I go down to Margaritaville. The area just north of there is a nesting area for Blue Tangs..Tons of them there.

• 2 weeks later...

I too, heard good things about Eagle Ray Divers. But when I checked out Trip Advisor about 1/3 were quite negative, complaints from leaving late, the slow and OLD boats, non-english speaking guides, etc.

Does any one have some other snorkeling company recommendations in Cozumel for a couple of hour trip (we still want to visit Margaritaville and other places in the city)?

Thanks.

I too, heard good things about Eagle Ray Divers. But when I checked out Trip Advisor about 1/3 were quite negative, complaints from leaving late, the slow and OLD boats, non-english speaking guides, etc.

Does any one have some other snorkeling company recommendations in Cozumel for a couple of hour trip (we still want to visit Margaritaville and other places in the city)?

Thanks.

These comments need a fact check:

Eagle Ray uses well maintained, standard size, dive boats. They are small compared to most cruise ship sponsored catamarans and single hulls that often board 50 or more snorkelers. The usual number on an Eagle Ray boat is 6 - 8 passengers. When there's a dive/snorkel mix on board, Eagle Ray provides separate guides for each group. Not all operators do that. All of the Eagle Ray guides speak better english than many of the tourists they serve. Eagle Ray's guides are among the best I've ever been accompanied by, and I've done dozens of snorkels on darn near every Caribbean Island visited by us cruise ship gringos.

If you're in a hurry and like large boats with lots of company, take a ship sponsored trip. For me, small and slow is a good thing! :D

I'm certainly not a tout for Eagle Ray. There are a number of other good operators on Coz who provide snorkel and dive trips. I do, however, have to respond when I know from personal experience that a vendor is being unjustly smeared with lies.

Trip Advisor obviously has some very misleading reviews.

I have also have seen both good and bad reviews for Eagle Ray, but have had no direct experience with them. As for those other good operators, between my son and me we have had 3 good experiences with Papa Hog's Scuba Emporium. My wife and I did a resort scuba with them, and my son (who is an advanced diver with divemaster and several other certifications) has dived with them on two occasions. They have small fast boats, and take small groups, with good divemasters. They don't really cater so much to cruise passengers, but if you have sufficient port time, they are a good choice.

http://www.playauvas.com/

We went to Playa Uvas and snorkeled from their beach. It was some of the best snorkeling I've ever done. It was also pretty empty so we got our own private guide for free (we just tipped him well) and he took us out for an hour. He showed us stuff I would have never found on my own or noticed like a freshwater spring under the water, flounder, barracuda, and tons of beautiful, huge fish. It also was fun to find a $20 bill on the ocean floor! The only drawback to this beach is that it is very rocky and hurts your feet...but that is how you get a good area for snorkeling!

http://www.playauvas.com/

We went to Playa Uvas and snorkeled from their beach. It was some of the best snorkeling I've ever done. It was also pretty empty so we got our own private guide for free (we just tipped him well) and he took us out for an hour. He showed us stuff I would have never found on my own or noticed like a freshwater spring under the water, flounder, barracuda, and tons of beautiful, huge fish. It also was fun to find a $20 bill on the ocean floor! The only drawback to this beach is that it is very rocky and hurts your feet...but that is how you get a good area for snorkeling!

Thinking about going to Playa Uvas. How much did you pay, they have a $7 rate that gives you a drink and use of their facilities. What did you do and how would you compare the snorkeling there to Hawaii?

I can't remember how much we paid, but I made a reservation online beforehand and when we got there they had our names on a board and we got a cheaper rate than walk-ins. I thought it was very reasonable as it also included a couple of drink tickets, lawn chairs, umbrellas, pool, changing rooms, showers, etc.

I would say it was pretty comparable to snorkeling in Hawaii. I had mixed experiences in Hawaii but I would say it was similar to some of the better sites I went to there. Probably not the greatest snorkeling ever, but very good.

I can't remember how much we paid, but I made a reservation online beforehand and when we got there they had our names on a board and we got a cheaper rate than walk-ins. I thought it was very reasonable as it also included a couple of drink tickets, lawn chairs, umbrellas, pool, changing rooms, showers, etc.

I would say it was pretty comparable to snorkeling in Hawaii. I had mixed experiences in Hawaii but I would say it was similar to some of the better sites I went to there. Probably not the greatest snorkeling ever, but very good.

Hi-- Thanks for the info. We are still trying to decide, but this sounds good. John

Archived