Taking Food from Horizon Ct to Private Balcony

Konagal

In one of the cruise reviews I've read, the poster said casually that she loaded up her plate at the Horizon Court and took it to her balcony to eat. This is obviously different than taking a few cookies back to the room. Does staff disapprove of this or is this a common practice? If a common practice, is that true for all meals or just breakfast and/or lunch?

Sure it's OK? Why not? The food is there, it's a buffet. My husband often goes there and gets breakfast food and brings it back, and I did that for lunch a coupld of times the last time we were cruising -- I stayed on board, he was out and about, I didn't want to be sitting at a table by myself.

Just try not to spill it..a challenge when they don't provide trays!

Lots of times after we get back from a shore excursion it is after lunch and to close to dinner to eat so I will go to the buffet and get some fruit, cheese and crakers and go sit on the balcony with DW and relax and take our time getting ready for the nights activities

DH is a very early riser so he goes to the coffee bar to drink his first cup of the day. He gets tea for me, and then he goes to the HC to get some fruit for me too. I'd agree with covering the dish with another dish or a napkin. There's nothing worse than getting a plate of food only to have someone coughing in the elevator.

Just please don't put your dirty dishes in the hallway! The halls are narrow, and it also looks terrible. Leave them in your room and your steward will take them away.

DH is a very early riser so he goes to the coffee bar to drink his first cup of the day. He gets tea for me, and then he goes to the HC to get some fruit for me too. I'd agree with covering the dish with another dish or a napkin. There's nothing worse than getting a plate of food only to have someone coughing in the elevator.

Just please don't put your dirty dishes in the hallway! The halls are narrow, and it also looks terrible. Leave them in your room and your steward will take them away.

Those of us who use scooter and wheelchairs really do appreciate NOT having dirty dishes in the hall! It's hard enough to maneuver around the service carts, without that added problem! :o

In one of the cruise reviews I've read, the poster said casually that she loaded up her plate at the Horizon Court and took it to her balcony to eat. This is obviously different than taking a few cookies back to the room. Does staff disapprove of this or is this a common practice? If a common practice, is that true for all meals or just breakfast and/or lunch?

We have done it without problems. I packed saran wrap to cover the plate before leaving the buffet. I tried to take the plates back to HC, since the cabin was already cleaned. My steward advised me to leave the plate outside of the door. If you order room service, keep the tray for future use at HC.

My cabin (for 4) with no room for much more:

2926671630101627832S200x200Q85.jpg

Enjoy!

Sure it's OK? Why not? The food is there, it's a buffet. My husband often goes there and gets breakfast food and brings it back, and I did that for lunch a coupld of times the last time we were cruising -- I stayed on board, he was out and about, I didn't want to be sitting at a table by myself.

Just try not to spill it..a challenge when they don't provide trays!

You can use the tray that usually sits on top of the refrigerator cabinet.

I imagine your steward would get you one for the asking.

I'm glad this was finally mentioned. It looks awful and nasty and those hallways are really narrow. I can't imagine having to navigate around that stuff if you're disabled. The room stewards will take care of any dishes left in your room.

Room service brings food to the cabin also. We often do this when shore excursions are to start right at lunch time or if it is a beautiful day and something interesting (I love industrial ports and trying to figure out what is being loaded and off-loaded) is going on. I am just about to jump to balcony on Coral Princess Grand Panama Mar. 7.

It is so easy while on a cruise to think in terms of "Rules" that go along with being on land.

There are not too many "Rules" you must follow while on a cruise.

You MUST attend the Muster Drill

You CAN NOT take any food with you off the ship

You CAN NOT throw anything off the ship

While I might have missed a couple I apologize.......the point is ......It is YOUR vacation. Have fun and try not to fall into "Land Rules".

Feel free to do what you want .....When you want!

If you want to bring food with you from HC....go ahead.

You can eat when and where you want

You can dress like you want......Yes you have choices.... You can do formal or you can do casual.

I think it is hard because there are SO many choices and options for things to do or not while on a cruise and as you probably have noticed while on these boards, people tend to hold on too tight to the "You Should" just because they do.

You should attend the shows

You should dress formal

You should not dress formal

You should get you pictures taken

You should eat in the main dining room

My final thought for you ........You should not Should All Over Yourself! ;)

You can use the tray that usually sits on top of the refrigerator cabinet.

I imagine your steward would get you one for the asking.

My hubby will take this tray with him to the Horizon Court in the morning. After he gets his made-to-order omelet, he'll make a tray up of breakfast items for my daughter and me to eat back in our cabin.

We do this quite often, especially at breakfast. Since room service does not generally deliver hot items, we will order our juices, coffee and pastries through room service and one of us will trek up the Horizon Court to get a big plate of bacon, hashbrowns and other hot goodies. Use another plate to cover the top when when back at the cabin we each make our own plate. By using both room service and the Horizon Court is keeps us from having to balance drinks, silverware and plates on the trip back. A little extra work, but well worth not have search for a table in the Horizon Court.

We like to take a tray of food after a good night at Skywalkers or the Explorers Lounge. It's nice to sit out on the balcony, snack, and unwind as the seas go by. A great way to live.

Memories are made of these moments...i hate that I'm being cheap and going for a inside cabin on this next cruise,,,but it is ok,, now I can afford to go on two cruise...memories (I'm hearing Barbara singing in my head right now)

Enjoy you cruise and eat where you would like to eat at.

I agree w/ the posters who ask that trays not be left in the corridor. They are unsightly & can be difficult to navigate around.

Trays in the corridor put me in mind of people who throw anything & everything out the window to avoid having a messy car.

I'm glad this was finally mentioned. It looks awful and nasty and those hallways are really narrow. I can't imagine having to navigate around that stuff if you're disabled. The room stewards will take care of any dishes left in your room.

I have solved this problem. After we have lunch from plates from the buffet, I call Room Service for coffee. When the Room Service staff arrives with the coffee, I ask them to take the dishes from lunch. Works like a charm. We leave the coffee tray for the Room Steward to remove when the room is cleaned for the evening. Of course, we tip folks in cash for the services provided.

We have Room Service deliver Breakfast daily. Do a late lunch in the cabin with lunch we bring from the buffet. Really like the peace and quiet of eating in our cabin, with the balcony door open so we can hear the sea. On port days we can eat on our balcony. For us a cruise is all about the sea.

Archived