Looking for info on additional costs

HattieCR

I will be going on my first cruise in February on HAL Veendam, Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. To say that I know less than nothing about cruising is an understatement. So " everything is included" except for ..... what? I know from the HAL site that some restaurants on board will have an extra charge but what else? I gather that using the fitness area is free but using the Spa costs extra? Also I see that you can get fresh fruit in your room but do you have to pay for bottled water on this cruise? What about those lectures or cooking classes? What else costs extra?

I would appreciate so much if anyone that has done this cruise (or the opposite Valparaiso to Buenos Aires) would share their experience with me. I am trying to put together a budget but am missing lots of pieces that all your veterans have at hand. I say "this cruise" because it appears to me that different cruises and cruise lines have different things going on.

Apologize in advance for being so dense but thanks for any info.

I will be going on my first cruise in February on HAL Veendam, Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. To say that I know less than nothing about cruising is an understatement. So " everything is included" except for ..... what? I know from the HAL site that some restaurants on board will have an extra charge but what else? I gather that using the fitness area is free but using the Spa costs extra? Also I see that you can get fresh fruit in your room but do you have to pay for bottled water on this cruise? What about those lectures or cooking classes? What else costs extra?

I would appreciate so much if anyone that has done this cruise (or the opposite Valparaiso to Buenos Aires) would share their experience with me. I am trying to put together a budget but am missing lots of pieces that all your veterans have at hand. I say "this cruise" because it appears to me that different cruises and cruise lines have different things going on.

Apologize in advance for being so dense but thanks for any info.

I hope someone comes along who has done this specific cruise. My comments are "in general". Extra costs include:

Gratutities for waiters, room stewards, etc. The cruise line should have a "suggested amount", and many lines are now allowing you to prepay this, or have it billed to your account, payable at the end of the cruise.

alcohol, bottled water, soft drinks, and specialty coffees. Not only will you be charged for the beverage, there will be an 15% gratuity added on. You'll be asked for your sign-and-sail card before they'll bring the beverage, so if you didn't intend to order something that you'll have to pay extra for, you can always decline.

Spa services (like facials, massages, hair cuts/colors). You'll be asked for your sign/sail card, and a gratutity -- 18% (although it may now be 20%) will be added on.

Your daily newspaper will tell you if there are charges for the classes. Some lectures and entertainment will be free. If there are lectures about the ports, they'll be free. Like with everything else, if you're not certain -- if they ask for your sign/sail card, you'll be charged, so you just graciously decline and move on.

Excursions. There'll be lots of opportunities for excursions offered by the cruise line, and others by independent contractors. The ones offered by the cruise line are generally more expensive -- but if you're new to cruising, you might feel safer using them. You'll be billed to your onboard account, payable at the end of your cruise.

Meals in the dining rooms, buffets, some more casual restaurants, all will be included in the price of your cruise. Room service also is free -- although generally you're expected to "tip" a small amount to the person who brings you the food -- $1- $5 (US), depending on how much you order.

I'm sure others will add more, and/or be more specific! :)

Hattie,

My DW and I did the Buenos Aires - Valparaiso cruise in April of 2009. While we were on a different ship, I can helpl you with cruises in this part of the world.

With the exception of alcohol, soft drinks, bottled water, and paying gratuities, you do not have to spend any money at all. There is water on the ship, coffee, and all the iced tea you can drink for free. A bottle of beer will be $3 -4.00 and fancier drinks will be $5 - 7. which over 12 days comes to a very reasonable amount if you watch it.

Buenos Aires...you do not say if you are staying here for one night before your cruise or using the ship's package. Let us know about your plans here so we can give you some money saving tips about Buenos Aires.

Montevideo...You can see this interesting city by walking. It is not very big. You can see some of the city, walk back to the ship have lunch and walk around some more. Some leather shops have free shuttles to their shop and we went on one. There was no pressure to buy anything but if there is, you can walk back to the ship but stay on the main streets especially the streets where there are no cars - pedestrian shopping streets.

Ushaia...while there are some truly nice ship excursions especially a catamaran/ Tierra Fuego National Park excursion, you can have a very nice time spending no money just by walking around this small but very interesting city. The walk from the ship into town is about 10 minutes or so. If you are going to splurge on an excursion it is here, because the surrounding countryside is truly spectacular.

Punta Arenas and Punta Montt can be seen by walking around, that is, spending no money. The same is true for Valparaiso.

Frankly, my wife and I have the money to go on any excursions we want to. But it is sometimes much more fun just to walk around and see places, and if you are on a budget never ever feel that you must spend to have a great time.

Most likely you will meet other passengers and most of whom are veteran travelers. They may invite you to go with them and share the cost of taxis, for the most part are inexpensive. Also, the ship excursion desk will have information for you. While it is their job to sell excursions many are very nice and will help you with suggestions as to the cost of taxis, how far the walk is to downtown and so on.

Head waiters (serious looking men and women in tuxedoes who are responsible for the smooth operation of dining rooms) are another great source of information.

I would obtain some maps of the cities you will be visiting, and do some research on the ports. And please remember these are not backward places where no English is spoken. If you are out and need some help, look for a younger well dressed person as generally they will speak English.

Thanks, guys, for the great info. And Fredr - I will be flying into Buenos Aires a few days before the cruise. I figure if I spend all that money flying to Buenos Aires, I surely should spend a little bit of time looking around. Any help here is appreciated - not interested in shopping; mostly cultural, historical kinds of things. Also - I speak Spanish. Hmmm. Maybe that Spanish-speaking ability will make me popular when it comes to shore excursions. Hmmmm.

You generally pay extra for

* alcohol

* tips

* photos

* bottled water -- but the ship's water is desalinated, safe to drink & tasty

* gambling

* spa

* specialty restaurants

* gambling

* bingo

* shopping / souveniers

* excursions

Your extra costs can be a high or as low as you need them to be. Bon Voyage!

Hattie,

Speaking Spanish will add to your enjoyment of your South America cruise.

In Buenos Aires, taxis are relatively inexpensive but use "Radio" taxis as they have the best reputation. Make sure that the meter is on whenyou enter the taxi...these are normal precautiuons used even in the USA.

Recoleta is a famous cemetery where Evita Peron is buried and the cemetery itself is a fascinating part of Argentina's history. The neighborhood is upscale for walking around. The La Biela restaurant is very close by and this is a Buenos Aires landmark. La Biela has good food at reasonable though not inexpensive prices. But part of this restaurant's charm are the waiters...older, very professional and lots of fun.

We saw the Madero Tango show which while not inexpensive was very enjoyable to us...food was great, music and show were outstanding. Part of the package is that they pickyou up at your hotel and return after the show. Puerto Madero is a part of BA that has been revitalized with office buildings, restaurants and some shopping. Walking here is safe and fun to see the river Plata.

For history do not miss the Plaza Mayo and look up at the second story balcony of a large pink building. From here Evita would speak to the people of Argentina. Not far from here is the Metropolitan Cathredal, which is the main Catholic Church in BA.

While it is almost completely overlooked and has not been restored, if you can do so, see the mural in the cruise terminal. It was done by an admirer of Diego Rivera. A very interesting work of art even though you might disagee with the political statement.

Do not hesitate with your questions.

• 4 weeks later...

There are no extra charges that are mandatory. Everything that you will pay for, you must order and sign for it. This can include:

beverages - alcohol, soda, specialty coffees.

Excursions

gambling

Specialty restaurants

Spa treatments

tips (recommendation is probably $10 to $12 per person per day) - may be automatically charged to your account.

I took some wine, a 12 pack of diet coke and 12pack of bottled water (to drink on excursions) on HAL on a recent 14 day cruise. Yes, you can get coke and bottled water on the ship, but I just bought it in port and took it on with no problems and saved myself a few bucks.

Bringing wine is not a problem on HAL. You just have to pay a corkage fee if you drink it in the DR.

Haven't been on this particular cruise, but would love to do it! Have a great time!

Archived