May cruise with older kids 10 - 17 years old

PA2CRUISE

I am considering taking a cruise with extended family in early May on the Carnival Pride. I'm thinking May because the prices are so much cheaper than in the summer months which would be more ideal of course. Anyway, can anyone tell me what the atmosphere would be for older children cruising in May? It would be nice to get an idea of how many other kids their age would be cruising at the same time from your experience. I would love for them to have the opportunity to meet kids other than the kids in the family.

BTW, yes, I have thought about cruising during holiday and summer but to be honest, it's not very financially appealing to me. By the time the kids do get out of school in the middle of June, the cost would be about $1300 higher just for my family alone. :eek:

We've cruised with our DD (now 14YO) once in late May and several times in November (her school has a rather odd schedule) -- there are generally not as many kids as when we cruise in June or August, but still a pretty good number.

Thanks. There are SO many choices to consider!! How in the world do you every actually book a cruise??? I definitely want the most bang for my buck and I want to afford them the same opportunity to have as much fun as I plan to. Decisions decisions... I just might consider July again.

If you are on Carnival, there will be a ton of kids. For best prices, there are a number of online discount cruise companies. This cruise critic site has adds for a number of them. Check them often and watch for cruises leaving from your preferred port. Also, check out the travel section of the newspaper from your nearest large city. We booked several cruises that way at tremendous discounts with great incentives thrown in. Since you aren't locked in to a specific timeframe/date, go for what you want with the best price.

Archived