Route Cancelation Question

gargoyle999

I have(had) a flight on Sun Country from Minneapolis to San Diego booked for next April. Was notified today that my flight is canceled. Looks like Sun Country is no longer flying to San Diego in April.

Will airlines normally help find you another flight even if on a different airline or is it just here is your money back sucker. Reason I'm asking is because flights are more expensive then when I first booked back in July.

I only travel a couple times a year so I'm not familiar with what happens when an airline just flat out stops flying where you want to go to.

You probably will have to start from scratch and I would be surprised if you get any money back. From previous airline bankruptcies, you become one of the creditors - stand in line. If you do get money back in the future, it'll probably be a percentage of what you paid.

I'm not sure where you would find info about the bankruptcy, but maybe start with the DOT?? Don't really know but maybe there is info on line.

Sorry - I was wrong - they are still flying. I think maybe there were, or are, in Chapter 11 and that's where I got that from.

Yes, in my case they have just stopped flying to San Diego after Jan. Though they did file Chap 11 last year.

I called them and basically I can get a refund or fly earlier if I want to go visit San Diego sooner!

I booked it through Travelocity, I'll see if they come up with any better solutions. Might have to give Southwest a try as I want to avoid NWA/Delta.

Sun Country is an independent carrier without alliances. As such, they really have no resources to re-accommodate you on another carrier. Just a refund and you are on your own.

Travelocity won't be of any assistance - it's not like they can just shift you to another flight. In effect, you get your money back then look for something else to get you to SAN.

You likely bought Sun Country because of the price. This was one of the possible side effects of going with the lowest cost.

Well, that and it was direct and not NWA. ;)
Say what you will about the legacy carriers....they have the resources to fix things if they go pear shaped. Had a mechanical today, and was rerouted onto other flights to complete my journey. Yes, it was unfortunate that they had to do MX on my aircraft after I boarded, but DL/NW came through for me with alternative flights. If I was on a LCC, I might very well have been still waiting for seats to get to my destination.

The power of an extensive route network and alternative routings can be quite valuable.

The power of an extensive route network and alternative routings can be quite valuable.

Well, we had 2 NWA flights in a row where we had to turn around shortly after takeoff due to a mechanical problem. Both events made for a very long day before we finally arrived at our destination. And we only fly a couple times per year! So that is what made me looking for an alternative.

But I ended up booking NWA for this flight since it's the only direct flight now! Though I probably have Southwest to thank for the price since it was $5 less than the 1 stop Southwest flight. Will be more once we check bags, but the direct flight made it worth it. (assuming the plane doesn't have to turn around..ha!)

I assume you mean "non-stop" on NW, as your Southwest flight is actually "direct".

Non-stop = no stops between origin and destination.

Direct = no change of flight number between origin and destination, though there may be one or more stops along the way.

You can very easily be sold a "direct" flight that makes half a dozen stops along the way. You could even have to change aircraft. For example, DL 67 is a "direct" flight from Tel Aviv to Miami. However, it flies a 767 from TLV to JFK, then you change to a MD-88 from JFK to MIA. Since it is the same flight number though, it is referred to as a "direct" flight TLV-MIA. Ditto DL 208 from Moscow to Seattle. "Direct", though it has a stop and equipment change at JFK.

A number of folks here have bought a "direct" flight thinking it was "non-stop" and were less than happy to find out the difference. Just for future reference.

A number of folks here have bought a "direct" flight thinking it was "non-stop" and were less than happy to find out the difference. Just for future reference.

Thank you for the information! I would have been one of those and that is very good to know for future flights. In this case, I did mean non-stop. :)

Mr. Flyer Talker knows whereof he speaks...We flew the red-eye from LAX to DEN. There we changed planes for the "DIRECT" to ORD. There were stops in Wichita & Minneapolis. At ORD we changed again for the "DIRECT" to MHT, which took us to Albany & Portland before getting here.

But I ended up booking NWA for this flight since it's the only direct flight now! Though I probably have Southwest to thank for the price since it was $5 less than the 1 stop Southwest flight. Will be more once we check bags

Personally, I try to book travel on Southwest ("WN") anytime I can. Especially with their free checked bags (that alone can be $100 r/t), which is especially important to cruisers like me.

On my upcoming Panama Canal cruise, I booked WN PHX->SAN and had to book AA out of Miami (back to PHX) since Southwest does not fly into MIA. Only after booking did I think to check if Celebrity would offer an easy transfer to FLL, where I could fly WN back to PHX.

Oh well, live and learn...

Archived