Our Good Olympic Fortune

eh2zed

We just returned from a b2b on the Splendour out of Venice. During the first week our youngest daughter (30) joined us. She particularly wanted to see Olympia and Athens since she took ancient sport in University. A few days before our stop in Katakolon (Olympia) we were informed the ancient Olympia site would not open until 2 pm on the day we were scheduled to arrive there. The reason was this was the day the official lighting of the Vancouver Winter Olympic torch was taking place. What a coincidence that we had not anticipated but it gave rise to a tremendous once in a lifetime opportunity.

When we arrived in Katakolon we took the 0825 train to Olympia and walked to the Museum but had to pass through heavy security. The museum wasn't open either but to our good fortune we learned that spectators were being let in the back entrance to the ancient stadium. After another security scan we were the first into the ancient stadium and were able to get a spot on the grass bowl inside the stadium right in the front.

We had to wait a few more hours for the ceremony to start. A few thousand spectators including bus loads of school children arrived.

As Canadians we were absolutely thrilled to see the theatrical ceremony, the speeches and the running off of the Olympic torch. I got pictures taken with the Premier of British Columbia, the federal Minister of Sport and the Mayor of Vancouver, all of whom came over to the crowd to say hello to a number of Canadians in the crowd.

What made it even more special for me is that I am on the local committee planning for the torch run through our city in late December on its way to Vancouver for the February games.

It was a particular thrill for my daughter and for all of us. Something we will always remember. Just had to share!!

eh2zed, Sounds like it was a memorable time. Great beginning to a spectacular event I'm sure Canada will be one of the best hosts in history. Always have a great time visiting Canada and the world will share your great hospitality thru the Olympics that we have always found. Hope you found the Splendour...hmm..splendid! We hade a fantastic cruise and one of the best crews on RCCL. OH CANADA.......!:)

WOW!! I am so happy you were in the right place at the right time!

I saw and touched the torch for the Calgary Olympics back in 1988 when it came to Vancouver and I am so looking forward to having the Olympics in our city in 2010!

That is a cruise you will always remember for the unexpected event you got to experience in addition to all the planned excursions etc!:D

Here are a few pictures. My first time posting pictures so be kind. A bit out of order of occurence

Priestess bringing newly lit flame in the cauldron into the ancient stadium.

Lighting the primary Olympic torch

The lit Vancouver torch with Greek athlete about to commence run to Athens

Lighting the Vancouver torch

Priestesses dramatic ceremony

IMG_2946.jpg.1187b341c0b25787768497e912e37eda.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg.0505467ee209c48e64e8b97e5dd1a6de.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg.f7f97842695711ec5bba9f8148f09231.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg.df924f168e6e4e2fe369358e3bfcd1d9.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg.653aae5dc239f6555d6ad6cd77e64b87.jpg

Wow, that is what travel is all about -- experiences that make life long memories.:)

It was so wonderful you were able to be there at that moment in time.

Look forward to watching the Olympics!

Kathy:)

We were on a trip to Europe a few years ago and our visit coincided with some pretty interesting events that we hadn't planned on.

We were in London when the 2012 summer Olympic games were awarded to them (party in the streets). Unfortunately, London bus and tube bombings happened the next day, which was pretty scary (given we had been on double decker buses and in the tube just the night before).

Later in the trip we were in Paris and happened upon Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow at the finish line of the Tour de France. We had no idea that event was happening so it was pretty exciting.

So far, our cruises have not coincided with any unexpected local events, but we have enjoyed them nonetheless.

That sounds absolutely wonderful! So glad you got to experience that!

Yep, in 3 short months, the Olympics will begin here in Vancouver!;)

You are so lucky to have them right there. I know Vancouver will be a great host.

Archived