Help: Best Flight-Seeing???

SEPyle

We're going on the 5/20 Summit with 5 night cruisetour at the end. We want to do a flight-seeing trip, during the actual cruise or at end. Please advise as to which one and from what port or within interier, gives the best bang for the buck and is the most spectactular. Of course $$'s do come into the picture however I'd pay more for a better experience rather than a cheepie just to say we did it.

Thanks in advance for any help you Alaskan veterans can give!

Sharon

We're going on the 5/20 Summit with 5 night cruisetour at the end. We want to do a flight-seeing trip, during the actual cruise or at end. Please advise as to which one and from what port or within interier, gives the best bang for the buck and is the most spectactular. Of course $$'s do come into the picture however I'd pay more for a better experience rather than a cheepie just to say we did it.

Thanks in advance for any help you Alaskan veterans can give!

Sharon

Hi Sharon!

I have a couple of suggestions for you. Depending on the excursion, you will get flightseeing as a side benefit - Taku Glacier Lodge out of Juneau, Neet's Bay Bear Viewing out of Ketchikan, etc. The flights in a bush plane are exciting!

For us, the absolute best flightseeing, however, was the summit flight over Mt. McKinley in Talkeetna. An experience not to be missed!

Have a great cruise!

Mike, thanks for your suggestions! Did you book indepedently for the Summit flight out of Talkeenta; thu who; and how much did it cost. We are doing a cruise tour, however I'm all for booking independently!

Thanks!

Sharon

I have been on a lot of flights in Alaska. My favorite is a glacier helicopter landing, and I have done all that is listed above- more than once. For clarification- Neets Bay floatplane tour is NOT available in May. As for a McKinley summit flight- I have gone with Talkeetna Aero the most- be aware there are summit view and summit flights, If you haven't been in a ski plane that may be of interest but is only available on the summit view flights. :) Way too many excellent flights to consider- it may also depend on your flying experience too. :) I always do at least 2 flights per trip.

Mike, thanks for your suggestions! Did you book indepedently for the Summit flight out of Talkeenta; thu who; and how much did it cost. We are doing a cruise tour, however I'm all for booking independently!

Thanks!

Sharon

Hi Sharon!

We did book this independently with Talkeetna Aero through the lodge. As I remember, the cost was a shade over $200 pp. One couple on our cruisetour (and flight) had booked beforehand over the internet. The wife was a shopper deluxe and I am pretty sure she had a better price already arranged.

Thanks so much both BudgetQueen and Mike for you help. I do have some questions:

Mike, for just over $200 did your flight include a glacier landing? If so does that really add to the overall experience? We've just decided to bring along our 25 year old daughter. Of course that means more $'s spent. She's a great traveler and we will really enjoy having her along...but it will sure add to our total cost!

BudgetQueen, I see that you have done the flight with Talkeenta Aero as well. What is better Summit flight or Summit view? Also, what's the difference?

If you could only do one, would you wait and experience the flight seeing in Denali?

One last question. When I booked Whale watching with Capt Larry the other day, I talked to Pam on the phone. She said they can also arrange a float plane that goes to Tracy Arm, which costs $145 per person. I just read this morning that Sawyer Glacier at Tracy Arm is really something to see. In your opinion, BudgeQueen, would that be a good option?

Thanks again!

Sharon

Sharon,

We took the Summit Flt with Talkeetna Aero in late Aug using the Tour Book coupon. We were cancelled on Fri on way to denali, and rebooked for Sun on way back. Pretty spectacular experience, great photos, and hard to imagine if you have never seen from ground which we hadn't. We got to fly between the summits and it was really clear.

Thanks so much both BudgetQueen and Mike for you help. I do have some questions:

Mike, for just over $200 did your flight include a glacier landing? If so does that really add to the overall experience? We've just decided to bring along our 25 year old daughter. Of course that means more $'s spent. She's a great traveler and we will really enjoy having her along...but it will sure add to our total cost!

BudgetQueen, I see that you have done the flight with Talkeenta Aero as well. What is better Summit flight or Summit view? Also, what's the difference?

If you could only do one, would you wait and experience the flight seeing in Denali?

One last question. When I booked Whale watching with Capt Larry the other day, I talked to Pam on the phone. She said they can also arrange a float plane that goes to Tracy Arm, which costs $145 per person. I just read this morning that Sawyer Glacier at Tracy Arm is really something to see. In your opinion, BudgeQueen, would that be a good option?

Thanks again!

Sharon

Hi Sharon!

As Budget Queen mentioned, there are 2 different types of flights. The flights that land on the glacier are in single-engine ski-planes, but they do not go over the summit. As I remember, the glacier landing is an add-on that pushed the price to about $240-$250. The over-the-summit flight is in a twin-engine, non-pressurized plane and you will be on oxygen.

While on our flight, we saw a couple of the skiplanes on the glacier and I captured one on video while it was taking off. Just a fantastic adventure!

We went out to dinner with our friend who is coming with us. I was telling them about this thread and telling them that there are two types. When I first read BudgetQueen's reference to ski planes, I interpreted that as planes that take up skiers. Duh...I hate to be so gullable! We figured out that ski planes must be called that because they have special landing equipement to help them land on the glaciers...like skies. But I'm completely surprised that in the the summit flights you actually use O2! So you used oxygen??? That must be quite a flight!

Thanks for the explanation!

Sharon

We took a summit flight with Denali Air...the whole experience was fabulous...one I will never forget. Jeff was our pilot and he took us to the summit, flew around it and he would bank right and left for pictures while talking to us throughout the whole flight. We did not use oxygen in his plane...he made us chew gum on the way back. This was the highlight of our trip!! Jeff was the best!

We went out to dinner with our friend who is coming with us. I was telling them about this thread and telling them that there are two types. When I first read BudgetQueen's reference to ski planes, I interpreted that as planes that take up skiers. Duh...I hate to be so gullable! We figured out that ski planes must be called that because they have special landing equipement to help them land on the glaciers...like skies. But I'm completely surprised that in the the summit flights you actually use O2! So you used oxygen??? That must be quite a flight!

Thanks for the explanation!

Sharon

Hi Sharon!

The summit flight goes over 21,000 feet so the pilot and passengers are indeed on oxygen. The mask is a molded plastic that fits over the nose and mouth and you can take it with you as a souvenir - I did! Since the glacier flights do not go as high, I am not sure if they require O2 or not.

For clarification- as mentioned you do need O2 for the summit flights- the above did not fly over McKinley?? My clear preference are the summit flights- but I have done them all at various times- again depending on your flying experience- a ski plane may be more desirable?? It is very snow packed so don't expect a lot of ice usually, for that a glacier helicopter landing far surpasses. The toursaver coupons can usually be upgraded to the summit flights for a fee. But for me just flying darn close to the top of McKinley is a flight I'll do over and over. :) As for Tracy Arm- I have no flying experience there only sailing in. But consider trying it- I'm sure it is a great viewing option.

Yes !! We did fly to the summit of Mt McKinley...on the most beautiful clear day. Jeff flew us to the summit of the mountain and around the peak and we did not have oxygen masks on. No he did not go OVER the mountain but circled it so close we felt like we could touch it...at one point he flew into the mountain and seemed to lift the nose up at the last minute...it was thrilling. He pointed out the routes that the hikers take to reach the summit, the base camp and the camp 1/2 way up. He even postitioned the plane for the best pictures...gave us a count of three and then leveled the wings again and moved on...he did this for both sides of the plane. The scenery en route to the Mt and back was gorgeous! Jeff talked to us the whole flight and as a native, he was just a wealth of information. I will forever remember that adventure!

I assume his plane was pressurized...I will have to ask my husband what kind of plane it was (small 5 seater but relatively new)....it got pretty intense when he had to descend rapidly due to turbulence but the gum really did help.

FYI We flew from the Denali Air air strip just south of Denali Park.

Ocean.queen, what company did you use for your flight-seeing? Did you book your flight independently? Your trip sounded incredible!

I wonder if I'm going to last till May! I have to be careful to not get on the boards too late at night because if I do I can't fall asleep!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

We were headed back to Anchorage...and I saw the sign for Denali Air...I was driving, I looked at one of the other wives in the car and we both smiled...so I made a quick left into the parking lot...(our husbands were too chix to go :rolleyes: ). We walked into the office asked if they had room for a "summit flight" and they did...we just had to wait 1/2 hour for the pilot. Our luck was with us that day...for sure. Not one cloud in the sky, no wind, we got Jeff as our pilot and, I gather, a great plane!! (We had an older couple with us that booked through their hotel by phone and Denali Air even went and picked them up.)

Denali Air was one that I had read good things about...I waited to see what the weather would be when we got up there...I knew I ran the chance of it being all booked up but I guess there was a part of me that was nervous. It worked for me to do it on impulse at the last minute.

We did 4 days pre-cruise on our own in Denali and I would do it again in a minute! I also recommend Jeff King's Kennel's...........

Kathy

Archived