Belize Port

carncruiser2010

There's the usual shops with jewelery t-shirts and "mayan" trinkets. Then there's the Wet Lizard bar and restaurant (good Belkin beer prices and great conch fritters! Otherwise not much. You can stroll out of the Tourist village and go across the swing bridge into Belize City. But unless you have an idea of where you are going it's not a walk in the park. Down the street on the other side of the swing bridge is JamBel's Jerk Chicken, a good place to try local food. The horse carriage tours get good reviews here and you can catch them just outside the gate.

• 2 weeks later...
Was looking for some more info on the Belize port...what's there, what's there to do, etc.

Still debating my excursion decision for this stop.

Unless you are completely opposed to getting wet, see our experience from last week on the thread "Booking Directly Through Jungle Paws?" I can't rave enough about this tour!

Enjoy your time in Belize.

• 3 weeks later...
There's the usual shops with jewelery t-shirts and "mayan" trinkets. Then there's the Wet Lizard bar and restaurant (good Belkin beer prices and great conch fritters! Otherwise not much. You can stroll out of the Tourist village and go across the swing bridge into Belize City. But unless you have an idea of where you are going it's not a walk in the park. Down the street on the other side of the swing bridge is JamBel's Jerk Chicken, a good place to try local food. The horse carriage tours get good reviews here and you can catch them just outside the gate.

Crew - Is it safe walking solo to Jambel's? I'm really interested in trying out the Jerk Chicken. BTW, can you recommend the Belikin Brewery Tour offered by Coral Breeze/Wet Lizard?

first posting for me, it definately won't be the last, I don't now what you are looking for but last year (Aida Aura) we took the Lamani tour and it was one of the best ever. We did the Chichen Itza the day before which was fantastic but more commercial.

After a bus drive from the port you travel through the forest on a super speed boat and visit a Mayan site, as only a very small portion has excavated you get the idea of how the explorers found it.

obviously I don't know if your ship offers this excurison but if they do you won't be sorry

good luck

As long as it's light out you shouldn't have any safety issues other than what you might have walking down the street in your home town. THe area is primarily a major shopping/commerce district. THe St. Johns Church and court buildings are in that section of town. I wouldn't wear any jewelery, watches or other bling that calls attention to yourselves. And keep your wallet in the front pocket, purse wrapped around your arm. But that should be S.O.P. for anyone anywhere.

Haven't done the Belikan Brewery tour. It's outside the city about 1/2 hour or so. I think a couple of city tours go there. But Belikan beer is mostly all you have to drink. 3 different types. Most people drink Belikan, a pale lager sort of like a "hoppy" Coors or an old Busch Barvarian. But there's Lighthouse, their version of the oxymoron, Coronoa Light. and a light stout which isn't quite up to non-Ireland brewed Guiness but probably okay for the climate. Note the only packaging difference between Belikan and the Stout is the cap, Belikan is green, stout is blue.

As long as it's light out you shouldn't have any safety issues other than what you might have walking down the street in your home town. THe area is primarily a major shopping/commerce district. THe St. Johns Church and court buildings are in that section of town. I wouldn't wear any jewelery, watches or other bling that calls attention to yourselves. And keep your wallet in the front pocket, purse wrapped around your arm. But that should be S.O.P. for anyone anywhere.

Haven't done the Belikan Brewery tour. It's outside the city about 1/2 hour or so. I think a couple of city tours go there. But Belikan beer is mostly all you have to drink. 3 different types. Most people drink Belikan, a pale lager sort of like a "hoppy" Coors or an old Busch Barvarian. But there's Lighthouse, their version of the oxymoron, Coronoa Light. and a light stout which isn't quite up to non-Ireland brewed Guiness but probably okay for the climate. Note the only packaging difference between Belikan and the Stout is the cap, Belikan is green, stout is blue.

The brewery tour sounds intriguing...but I think I can find a nice meal and a few beers for a little less than $66 in the city somewhere. :)

Archived