What does Carnival do for the W Caribbean cruises & Tropical storms??

sgirlsmom

Anyone have experience with crusing the W Caribbean itinerary during a W Caribbean Tropical Storm or Hurricane? We're due to leave this Saturday from Miami for the Cozumel/Cayman/Jamaica itinerary and am wondering where we're going to end up due to the Tropical Storm due to hit Honduras any time, and due to be over Cozumel area on Monday (the day were supposed to be there!).

Am wondering if they ever reverse the order of ports to stay out of the storms way, change to an Eastern route, or any other solutions...I know we're in for rocky seas, but am hoping we're not on a 7 day at sea cruise!!

Any comments or sharing of experiences is greatly appreciated to help calm my nerves :-).

You have listed the possibilities that can happen...reverse or do Eastern. Their most important thing is to keep you out of harm's way. I had a friend who got caught near a hurricane years ago going to Canada...trust me, you don't want to go there!:eek: They have to make port SOMEwhere, so they try to find alternatives. Good luck! Go with an open mind and enjoy wherever you end up!:)

If they change your itinerary, there will be a weather update on the Carnival home page ... have you checked with your roll call?

They might reverse a port or they might go around a storm, if they cant get to a port because of high waves, you will get $20 pp.

Cayman is missed the most because its a tender port, so waves cant be high.

This is Nov, and a serious hurricane is pretty unlikely .... changing to Eastern this late is highly unlikely. Id say at the worst you miss a port.

Anyone have experience with crusing the W Caribbean itinerary during a W Caribbean Tropical Storm or Hurricane? We're due to leave this Saturday from Miami for the Cozumel/Cayman/Jamaica itinerary and am wondering where we're going to end up due to the Tropical Storm due to hit Honduras any time, and due to be over Cozumel area on Monday (the day were supposed to be there!).

Am wondering if they ever reverse the order of ports to stay out of the storms way, change to an Eastern route, or any other solutions...I know we're in for rocky seas, but am hoping we're not on a 7 day at sea cruise!!

Any comments or sharing of experiences is greatly appreciated to help calm my nerves :-).

They will do all that you mentioned, but it will work out someway I'm sure just have a good time. We are right behind you leaving on Sunday out of Galveston for Jamacia, GC, & Cozumel. They will keep you safe and give you the best cruise they can under the circumstances.

Iv been out driving around in 55 mph when I used to live in Florida. winds only has to hit 74 mph to be classified as a hurricane ... and its hitting land so it will be short lived even as a cat 1.

Its not a big threat to the OP, at most they miss a port if the captain wants to avoid rough waters. thats my prediction.

We were on the Conquest (our very first cruise) during Hurricane Rita. We left Galveston, on a Sunday, in beautiful sunny weather. While at sea we found out that the Port of Galveston was close and we were going to be at sea an extra two days. It was a wait and see situation. The Captain was going to wait and see if the port was planning on opening or if we were going to head for Miami where we all were going to have to fly home. While at sea Costa Maya was nice enough to open their port to our ship for one day. This port was not on our original itinerary and I have to admit it was the best port of the other three we had been to that week. All this time we are experiencing beautiful, warm, sunny days and calm seas. I could not have asked for a better first cruise. The ship did not ask us to pay for the extra port taxes and even open the phone lines to everyone on the ship, free of charge, so we could call our families, neighbors and bosses.

Instead of arriving back in Galveston on the following Sunday we arrived on the Tuesday. But the Captain kept us safe and out of harm's way.

Our last cruise in February the ship was having mechanically problems so before leaving Galveston we had our ports-of-call reversed so the ship could sail at a slower speed while they fixed the problem. Then we stayed in Costa Maya until 10:30 PM while they continued to work on the ship. And we still made it to our next port of call on time. How he did it I will never know because it did not feel like he "open the throttle" to get to the next port on time.

So you see its not only weather that can reverse the direction a cruise will take. It many different things; weather, flu outbreaks, mechanical problems, medical emergencies, etc.

The key to cruising is just to accept what comes then sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Archived