"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

That's a really big task you've taken on

Make sure you also check cc ports threads and the cruise roll call for what you pick

Plus the wedding section could be a handy one

Enjoy your trip and good luck

Thanks! I found my Roll Call, but definitely need to spend some time looking at the other forums/threads. So much information! It's great for my over-planner tendencies.

Thanks! I found my Roll Call, but definitely need to spend some time looking at the other forums/threads. So much information! It's great for my over-planner tendencies.

Even for us seasoned cruisers we have lots if research also

Never really reduces and sometimes gets worse

Enjoy your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RE: Seasickness or potential seasickness...I always bring the patches. I have very little side effects....sometimes dry mouth or sleepiness which seems to subside after a day or so. I also bring candied ginger along. If I feel a little queasy, I will eat a piece.

I am afraid to wait until I start getting sea sick...I would rather prevent it than try to stop it once it starts. ;)

Edited by suzyed

RE: Seasickness or potential seasickness...I always bring the patches. I have very little side effects....sometimes dry mouth or sleepiness which seems to subside after a day or so. I also bring candied ginger along. If I feel a little queasy, I will eat a piece.

I am afraid to wait until I start getting sea sick...I would rather prevent it than try to stop it once it starts. ;)

I agree!

I've only been seasick once. And the ship was just leaving the dock. The last day of our cruise my 24 hour pill had worn off during the day when we were in port. Got back to the ship and I was a goner. No last night redo's. No dinner. No nothing. Spent the whole night in bed in the dark. DH had to pack our suitcase. That was a disaster!

Now I use the patch. I don't want to take any more chances. No more counting on the pills.

On our last cruise out of Galveston, it was so windy. We got stuck in the oil spill last March and we were two days behind. So the captain put the pedal to the metal. With the wind and the speed, I got a bit queasy even with the patch. So I took a Bonine that our waiter gave me and I was back to feeling good again.

Next cruises, the patch and Bonine just in case!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from my cruise, and it was AMAZING! So I thought I would write a post about what I learned. Although this wasn't my first cruise (I don't even know how many I've taken), I still learned a few new tricks from this forum.

Things I took that I used:

Sea sick patches (my partner never felt the least bit queasy even though we hit some bad weather, water spout and all)

Extension cords

Bedside clock (although this was the first cruise I've taken where there was actually a clock in the cabin)

Over the door shoe holder (this was the first time I've used this, and it was WONDERFUL. I couldn't use it on the bathroom door because there were 2 towel bars there. I used it on a closet door)

Multi-colored highlighters (These were invaluable. We sat every evening or morning and planned the day, each of us using a different color)

My favorite flavored coffee creamer (the ship only had half & half)

More than one swim suit.

Extra Underwear (ok, I know this is a bit TMI, but when you’re walking around the port or the ship sweating, it’s nice to have fresh undies to change into).

Plastic bags. (We put our wet swim suits in these for the trip home so that everything in the suitcase didn’t get wet)

Things I took that I did NOT use:

Magnetic clips. (The walls in our room were not metal, or at least did not allow for the use of magnets)

Extra eyeglasses. (I will probably bring these again, though. I’m blind without my glasses, so if mine had broken, at least I would have had some to wear)

Things I wish I had thought to bring:

Clothes with pockets (none of my sundresses had pockets, so I was constantly keeping my key card in my cleavage)

European to American electric plug converters. (the sockets on the ship were European except for a few that were in use. It would have been easier if I had a converter)

Things that irritated me:

Although we are a couple, my partner and I have different last names. This made for problems with the onboard account. For some reason, they couldn't seem to get our cards both connected to the same onboard account. It’s quite embarrassing to order a drink, hand them your card and them say the account is closed.

The spa drawing was more of a sales pitch, and they did it during sail away!!! We ended up leaving so that we could be on deck while the ship left port.

The coffee. We had a espresso maker/single serve coffee maker in the room and in Cagney’s where we had breakfast they used French press coffee makers. I would have liked to have just a regular brewed cup of coffee.

Things that blew me away in a good way:

The Captain on the NCL Sky (Capt. Fedrikkson) is AMAZING. Not only is he personable with everyone he meets, he is down to earth and fun. When he found out that my partner and I were planning a commitment ceremony on their private island, he decided to make it even better. He sent us an invitation to the bridge and did a little ceremony for us, popped a bottle of champagne, bought us dinner and wine at one of the "pay for" restaurants, then sent another bottle of champagne to our room. When we were all leaving the ship, he was standing with some of the other crew members dancing us off the ship. He was so cool.

The communication between the crew members. I couldn't believe how quickly everyone communicated. If you asked about something then walked to the other end of the ship, the person there would know exactly what you wanted. It was crazy. LOVED it!

No lifejackets for the safety drill. This was a God-send. No more tripping over everyone’s straps and no more racing back to the room to retrieve or drop off life jackets before and after drill.

Some observations:

I know that most people on the forums say to save money and just get an inside cabin because you're not in it all that much. For me this is not true. We splurged for a suite for the second time, and have decided to never cruise any other way. Yes the perks of specialized treatment are great, but the size of the room and balcony are awesome. I spend time in my cabin, and love to sit on my balcony and watch the water, or the goings on in port. For me, a balcony is a must, even if I don't splurge for the suite.

The unlimited soda package is worth it for someone who drinks a lot of soda (like my partner). I, on the other hand, drink a lot of water. We brought a couple cases of water onboard with us, and it worked out great. We checked it with the luggage, just attached a luggage tag to each of them.

Never leave your cabin without a camera (or camera phone). We saw a water spout while on deck. Some people never even noticed it, and I didn’t have a camera to capture it! We didn’t think to take it from the cabin because we were just going down to grab a quick bite to eat.

Do not fly out the same day your cruise gets back if you can help it. Our ship was selected for a more stringent customs evaluation. We were in line waiting to go through customs for about 2-3 hours. There were several who missed their flights. I always stay in a hotel the day before and the day after just in case.

Do NOT be late coming back to the ship while in port. We left a couple in Freeport because they didn’t make it back in time. They met back up with us in Nassau the following day, but they had to pay for a flight to get there.

Edited by justjoanie29

I just got back from my cruise, and it was AMAZING! So I thought I would write a post about what I learned. Although this wasn't my first cruise (I don't even know how many I've taken), I still learned a few new tricks from this forum.

Sea sick patches (my partner never felt the least bit queasy even though we hit some bad weather, water spout and all)

Extension cords

Bedside clock (although this was the first cruise I've taken where there was actually a clock in the cabin)

Over the door shoe holder (this was the first time I've used this, and it was WONDERFUL. I couldn't use it on the bathroom door because there were 2 towel bars there. I used it on a closet door)

Multi-colored highlighters (These were invaluable. We sat every evening or morning and planned the day, each of us using a different color)

More than one swim suit.

Extra Underwear (ok, I know this is a bit TMI, but when you’re walking around the port or the ship sweating, it’s nice to have fresh undies to change into).

Plastic bags. (We put our wet swim suits in these for the trip home so that everything in the suitcase didn’t get wet)

Magnetic clips. (The walls in our room were not metal, or at least did not allow for the use of magnets)

Extra eyeglasses. (I will probably bring these again, though. I’m blind without my glasses, so if mine had broken, at least I would have had some to wear)

Clothes with pockets (none of my sundresses had pockets, so I was constantly keeping my key card in my cleavage)

European to American electric plug converters. (the sockets on the ship were European except for a few that were in use. It would have been easier if I had a converter)

Although we are a couple, my partner and I have different last names. This made for problems with the onboard account. For some reason, they couldn't seem to get our cards both connected to the same onboard account. It’s quite embarrassing to order a drink, hand them your card and them say the account is closed.

The spa drawing was more of a sales pitch, and they did it during sail away!!! We ended up leaving so that we could be on deck while the ship left port.

The coffee. We had a espresso maker/single serve coffee maker in the room and in Cagney’s where we had breakfast they used French press coffee makers. I would have liked to have just a regular brewed cup of coffee.

The Captain on the NCL Sky (Capt. Fedrikkson) is AMAZING. Not only is he personable with everyone he meets, he is down to earth and fun. When he found out that my partner and I were planning a commitment ceremony on their private island, he decided to make it even better. He sent us an invitation to the bridge and did a little ceremony for us, popped a bottle of champagne, bought us dinner and wine at one of the "pay for" restaurants, then sent another bottle of champagne to our room. When we were all leaving the ship, he was standing with some of the other crew members dancing us off the ship. He was so cool.

The communication between the crew members. I couldn't believe how quickly everyone communicated. If you asked about something then walked to the other end of the ship, the person there would know exactly what you wanted. It was crazy. LOVED it!

No lifejackets for the safety drill. This was a God-send. No more tripping over everyone’s straps and no more racing back to the room to retrieve or drop off life jackets before and after drill.

Some observations:

I know that most people on the forums say to save money and just get an inside cabin because you're not in it all that much. For me this is not true. We splurged for a suite for the second time, and have decided to never cruise any other way. Yes the perks of specialized treatment are great, but the size of the room and balcony are awesome. I spend time in my cabin, and love to sit on my balcony and watch the water, or the goings on in port. For me, a balcony is a must, even if I don't splurge for the suite.

The unlimited soda package is worth it for someone who drinks a lot of soda (like my partner). I, on the other hand, drink a lot of water. We brought a couple cases of water onboard with us, and it worked out great. We checked it with the luggage, just attached a luggage tag to each of them.

Never leave your cabin without a camera (or camera phone). We saw a water spout while on deck. Some people never even noticed it, and I didn’t have a camera to capture it! We didn’t think to take it from the cabin because we were just going down to grab a quick bite to eat.

Do not fly out the same day your cruise gets back if you can help it. Our ship was selected for a more stringent customs evaluation. We were in line waiting to go through customs for about 2-3 hours. There were several who missed their flights. I always stay in a hotel the day before and the day after just in case.

Do NOT be late coming back to the ship while in port. We left a couple in Freeport because they didn’t make it back in time. They met back up with us in Nassau the following day, but they had to pay for a flight to get there.

Excellent!!! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extension cords

More than one swim suit.

Some observations:

Agree with all of your statements!

If you cruise on Princess, the walls in the cabin ARE magnetic, so if you sail with them, you can and will use those magnets! We hang a calendar with all our activities and excursions, on the wall, pix of the kids and our doggie at home....etc, etc!

I also agree...that balconies are awesome (suites are even better! ;)) I just smile when folks say, "we don't spend that much time in the cabin, so we get an inside"

Yeah, I wouldn't hang in my cabin either, if I had an inside! My DH and I love relaxing in our cabin and having a drink or morning coffee on our balcony! To me, that is one of the best parts of cruising!

Would be awesome to cruise with other like minded folks like you! :)

DH and I are going on our 2nd cruise in 121 days. RCI Navigator OTS out of Galveston. I've picked up lots of good information here that we'll definitely be using.

One thing I wish I'd known on our first cruise in 2010 is if you choose early dining you'll miss all the sunsets. :( My FIL took DH and I, my BIL & SIL, so once I figured it out, I really hated missing dinner with them all. This time we've chosen MyTime Dining so we'll get to enjoy some from our balcony.

I also want to stress getting to departure port a day ahead. On our previous cruise, we thought the five of us were at a large table in the MDR alone, but day three of our cruise we finally had two sisters join us. They missed the ship in San Juan and couldnt get on until the first stop due to flying in the day of departure. What a bummer it would be to miss that time on the ship! DH and I are driving to Galveston for our next cruise and even though it's only a four hour drive from home, we're still going the day before. You never know when you'll have car problems (or anything else) can happen. As everyone else said, it's the cheapest insurance you can get!

We REALLY enjoyed having coffee and fruit and/or pastries delivered to our room every morning - and the wake up call is nice if you have somewhere to go. (We enjoyed a couple's massage the first port day.)

I love this thread! Not a first time cruiser, but will be a first time SOLO cruiser on Jewel of the Seas on October 11...so many great tips on this board..thought I'd pass along something I read on another thread. Disembarkment day can be hectic and crazy, especially trying to eat breakfast in Windjammer. One poster said she called room service the night before, before they closed, and ordered cereal, milk, fruit, pastries and coffee. Put the milk, fruit and coffee in her mini fridge and made iced coffee the next morning...gave them extra time in their cabin to get ready to leave. BRILLIANT!! Happy cruising, everyone!

Edited by LifeIsButADream

Wow! So many useful hints & tips in this thread!

First cruise in Feb 2015. 4 adults in a balcony cabin on the Diamond Princess (please hold your advice re this - we are a close family and are happy to save the $$ and spend it on board).

Every time I read a different post I think of more questions! Hopefully someone can please help me out here...

1. Will Princess deliver 4 copies of the princess patter to our room?

2. Does the Diamond Princess have US powerpoints?

3. When tipping on our cruise from Sydney to Auckland what currency should we tip in?

4. In regards to tips - I have read lots of suggestions re when to tip and when not to tip, when to remove your gratitudes and when to keep them, etc. I think it comes down to personal preference and what experience you encounter on board. Having never cruised, we plan to remove 2 gratitudities out of 4. We then plan to tip cash where necessary. I also intend to leave cash for our steward right at the beginning of the trip, explaining that there are 4 of us in this small room, so if he/she could do their best to keep it tidy it will be much more pleasant for us. Obviously, my thoughts about this may change prior to boarding, but has anyone done something similar?

5. Does it cost to borrow books from the Library? I don't want to take too much on board, and as a 23 year old, I LOVE the feel of an actual book.

6. What are the "hidden" costs I need to be aware of. So far I have drinks, photos, the sanctuary (for some reason I thought this was free!). When you are poolside, does it cost if someone brings a drink to you? Do people bring drinks to you, or is this limited to the sanctuary? I know the Diamond now has Japanese style baths. Is this extra? It is very hard to do a budget when I don't know what to budget for!

7. How much does bingo cost? Does it cost to participate in the trivia games etc?

8. Has anyone participated in the book club on board the Princess ships? Is there much participation? What about the board game meet ups?

9. Will the hot water "run out" in our bathroom?

10. What is the shower pressure like?

11. I know beach towels are provided, but are bath towels?

12. I've read some about flowers on board. Is there a florist? How much does this cost? I'd love greenery in our room!

Okay.. I have more, but that is probably enough for now! Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you kindly :)

The four of you will all be eating, correct? Using the bathroom? Using fresh towels daily or twice a day? I'm not sure what makes you think that the service employees will only have to work for two of you.

The cash tips in lieu of daily gratuities don't work they way you think they do - they will still be shared among everyone who makes your cruise special.

I know tipping is foreign to Australians. Just go with the flow and tip additionally if you choose to. Don't withhold automatic gratuities.

Congratulatiins on your first cruise, tealeafdestiny!

1. You can ask your room steward to give you 4 copies of the Princess Patter, if need be. Otherwise just pick up extra copies from Guest Relation.

3. Any currency will be welcomed. US dollars is preferred.

4. Prepaid the gratuities. Period. If you want to tip extra, please do.

5. Library is free. If you bring your own, would be nice if you donate it to the library after reading it.

9. You'll never "run out" of water. Hot or cold.

10. Shower pressure would be decent.

11. Bath towels provided.

You can post questions specific to Princess in the Princess forum, you'll get better answers.

Have you joined your cruise roll call?

Bon voyage!

tealeafdestiny...congratulations on your first cruise. I promise you will get addicted to cruising and this will only be the first of many!!

I urge you to reconsider eliminating two automatic gratuities. The $12 per person per day (or whatever the amount is for your cruiseline) is just a part of the cruise price; it must be factored in for every person sailing just like the cost of parking, shuttle service, specialty restaurant dining, drinking specialty coffees liquor or sodas taking a shore excursion, etc. It is a cost that is expected, if not required, unless you experience some sort of terrible service issue which needs to be addressed with the proper crew member. You may choose to "save" somewhere else, but I urge you to not do it in this way.

If your cabin steward doesn't deliver 4 Princess Patters to your cabin every night, it's very easy to drop by the customer service area and pick up one. They will be displayed out on a wall on a shelf somewhere.

I love to go to the library as soon as I get on the ship. That's usually when you'll find the best selection. I also bring a few paperbacks from home that I've already read, and leave them in the "share" section in the library. That way I feel good about taking a book...leave one/take one.

The check-out books don't cost anything. That works just like checking out a book from your local library. Books are due back usually late afternoon of your last day.

Drinks cost you, no matter where you are...poolside, in the Sanctuary, in a bar or lounge...anywhere. Tips are included on your bill every time you buy a drink. Some people choose to tip above & beyond that, but it's certainly not required.

The Sanctuary is very nice, and it's certainly a special treat, but it's very expensive in my opinion. Unless you require constant pampering & immediate personal service all the time, this is definitely an area where you can cut back. Doing the Sanctuary every day will set you back more than several hundred dollars per person for the entire cruise. To me, that's money wasted, but it's certainly personal preference.

Trivia games are free, and lots of fun; Bingo is expensive!

All your bath linens are provided, and if you need extras at any time your cabin steward will be happy to bring you more. Pool towels are provided also, usually right around the pools on a shelf or "towel station". Some ships you have to check out pool towels with your card, other ships you just pick them up.

I've been on one ship (RCL) that had a little florist and the prices were extremely reasonable. That was maybe 8 years ago and I don't know if your ship has that or not.

Your first cruise can be very scary & even intimidating when you don't know exactly what to expect, or what's expected of you. You are to be applauded for asking questions and seeking answers beforehand. I know you'll have a fabulous time, and I have no doubt you'll want to do it again!!!

~Marilyn

93 pages and four years of information...my brain is spinning! Here is what I tell people-

No one cruise line/ideal/behavior fits everyone. Know thyself! I am a fairly quiet introvert, but I like to have a lot to do. Nothing is quite so fantastic as relaxing and watching the ocean while reading a good book for me-so I look for ships and places that will let me do so. Parties are simply not my style, and more stressful then fun! So don't feel like you have to do everything-do what looks like fun for you. (That said, do try new things, but don't feel like anything, aside from the muster drill, is mandatory).

Choose the cabin that makes you happy. I love my balcony- it fits all my needs for a quiet place to read and relax. I also do extensive photography. So for me, it is worth it. For you? Maybe not! And don't doubt your decision- you will have fun!

Even if you aren't an OCD cruise planner, at least read a little about each port before you go. You'd be surprised what you can learn, and you will have a better idea what you want to do. If you feel more comfortable with ship excursions, do them and ignore the naysayers! If you want to try a private tour, do that and ignore the naysayers! I've done both (private in the Caribbean, ship tours in Alaska) and had a great time on both. I decide what I want to do, and find the excursion to match- I never decide based on what is available. If I want to try something, chances are a lot of people do as well.

Ask questions. Ask people who have cruised, and since you're already here, explore the boards. Use your cruise line board for Line specific questions, Port of Call boards for port ideas, Departure boards for pre-cruise hotels and help, and general boards for broad questions. And, of course, join your roll call! Everyone here has something in common- we love to cruise, and enjoy talking about it. So ask! I ended up booking an amazing hotel for my upcoming cruise by asking questions-I wouldn't have even known it existed without the amazing folks on the departures board.

Read every packing list you can get your hands on, and every bit of advice offered. Then take it all with a grain of salt, and pack what makes sense to you. Just remember-you are out in the middle of the ocean-there is no Walmart. I always take extra midol, Tylenol, immodium, pepto, etc. Just in case. I may not need them, but usually a travel companion will! It takes very little space, so why not?

Finally, the things I can't live without when I travel:

1. Olay face cloths-dry. They are pre-soaped, but don't bother my sensitive skin. Easy and disposable, and they wont spill like my usual face wash. I usually wont use anything disposable, but I make the exception here.

2. Shampoo-I have long, thick hair. So I really need good shampoo and conditioner when I travel. I either bring bar shampoo (like from lush) or I save the end of a bottle so I can throw it out after the trip. Big empty bottles are light, but make sure I have room for my finds on the way home!

3. Also hair related- Make sure to get hair ties that don't have any metal- saltwater and wind and metal are a bad combination! I get a 30 pack of metal free hair ties and they live in my travel bag.

4. Pop up hamper. It actually lives in my suitcase always for travel. I love the convenience of just tossing anything I wont wear into it and having it out of the way in the closet. I do carry a small tide stick to treat any stains before putting them in the hamper.

5. Reef Safe Sunscreen! Coral is sensitive, and many current sunscreens are very harmful to the coral-and actually aren't allowed in places like Cozumel. Yes, you can apply it on the ship and they wont know- but it doesn't cost any more to buy reef safe and you are protecting that place for the future. Especially important if you will be diving or snorkeling.

But my most important tip? Be excited! You can learn everything anyone has ever figured out about cruising here, but only you know you. And be aware- it is addicting! Your pocketbook won't appreciate the new addiction, but your soul will!

Megan

93 pages and four years of information...my brain is spinning! Here is what I tell people-

No one cruise line/ideal/behavior fits everyone. Know thyself! I am a fairly quiet introvert, but I like to have a lot to do. Nothing is quite so fantastic as relaxing and watching the ocean while reading a good book for me-so I look for ships and places that will let me do so. Parties are simply not my style, and more stressful then fun! So don't feel like you have to do everything-do what looks like fun for you. (That said, do try new things, but don't feel like anything, aside from the muster drill, is mandatory).

Choose the cabin that makes you happy. I love my balcony- it fits all my needs for a quiet place to read and relax. I also do extensive photography. So for me, it is worth it. For you? Maybe not! And don't doubt your decision- you will have fun!

Even if you aren't an OCD cruise planner, at least read a little about each port before you go. You'd be surprised what you can learn, and you will have a better idea what you want to do. If you feel more comfortable with ship excursions, do them and ignore the naysayers! If you want to try a private tour, do that and ignore the naysayers! I've done both (private in the Caribbean, ship tours in Alaska) and had a great time on both. I decide what I want to do, and find the excursion to match- I never decide based on what is available. If I want to try something, chances are a lot of people do as well.

Ask questions. Ask people who have cruised, and since you're already here, explore the boards. Use your cruise line board for Line specific questions, Port of Call boards for port ideas, Departure boards for pre-cruise hotels and help, and general boards for broad questions. And, of course, join your roll call! Everyone here has something in common- we love to cruise, and enjoy talking about it. So ask! I ended up booking an amazing hotel for my upcoming cruise by asking questions-I wouldn't have even known it existed without the amazing folks on the departures board.

Read every packing list you can get your hands on, and every bit of advice offered. Then take it all with a grain of salt, and pack what makes sense to you. Just remember-you are out in the middle of the ocean-there is no Walmart. I always take extra midol, Tylenol, immodium, pepto, etc. Just in case. I may not need them, but usually a travel companion will! It takes very little space, so why not?

Finally, the things I can't live without when I travel:

1. Olay face cloths-dry. They are pre-soaped, but don't bother my sensitive skin. Easy and disposable, and they wont spill like my usual face wash. I usually wont use anything disposable, but I make the exception here.

2. Shampoo-I have long, thick hair. So I really need good shampoo and conditioner when I travel. I either bring bar shampoo (like from lush) or I save the end of a bottle so I can throw it out after the trip. Big empty bottles are light, but make sure I have room for my finds on the way home!

3. Also hair related- Make sure to get hair ties that don't have any metal- saltwater and wind and metal are a bad combination! I get a 30 pack of metal free hair ties and they live in my travel bag.

4. Pop up hamper. It actually lives in my suitcase always for travel. I love the convenience of just tossing anything I wont wear into it and having it out of the way in the closet. I do carry a small tide stick to treat any stains before putting them in the hamper.

5. Reef Safe Sunscreen! Coral is sensitive, and many current sunscreens are very harmful to the coral-and actually aren't allowed in places like Cozumel. Yes, you can apply it on the ship and they wont know- but it doesn't cost any more to buy reef safe and you are protecting that place for the future. Especially important if you will be diving or snorkeling.

But my most important tip? Be excited! You can learn everything anyone has ever figured out about cruising here, but only you know you. And be aware- it is addicting! Your pocketbook won't appreciate the new addiction, but your soul will!

Megan

Can you name a Reef Safe Sunscreen?

One thing I wish I'd known on our first cruise in 2010 is if you choose early dining you'll miss all the sunsets. :(

This is an excellent observation. I took the tripod and an extra lens on our cruise primarily for shooting sunsets, but because of early dining I didn't get to do that. Next time I think I'll try MTD.

3-Ring Binder: I used to work in event planning and got in the habit of bringing a small 3-ring binder (1/2 inch width) with me on all my business and personal trips. It holds paper copies of everything--travel docs, itinerary, hotel confirmations, etc. I also include a couple page protectors to prevent important stuff from getting bent or wet. I also have copies of docs on my phone and email but sometimes you just need a paper copy.

Pencil Pouch: I have a pencil pouch insert for the binder that I use to hold those small things that I need or want to save, but can often get lost like receipts, tickets, coins, etc.

Glow in the Dark Necklaces: Glow in the dark bracelets/necklaces work great as night lights. Just hang a couple around the room or wear them at night for fun. I usually buy a bunch of them at the dollar store.

Itinerary & Contact Info: Include a letter sized piece of paper with your itinerary and contact information in your luggage AND carry on bags.

Wipes: Disinfecting wipes to clean armrests and tray tables on the plane. Also use these in hotel rooms and cabins. Wipe down door handles, remotes, etc. Remotes are surprisingly full of germs!

It's a shame that all ships don't have guest laundry facilities. I'm going on a 12 day cruise in Nov. on a ship with no guest laundry, and I'll have to pack very carefully. This is one subject that really, really agrivates me about cruise lines; they purposely make it so you'll have to use their expensive laundry services.

Our next cruise is a 25-nighter, without guest laundry.

The undies are gonna get washed in the shower each night - but there's simply no way to take enough clothes to last nearly 4 weeks without a laundry service :-(

Our next cruise is a 25-nighter, without guest laundry.

The undies are gonna get washed in the shower each night - but there's simply no way to take enough clothes to last nearly 4 weeks without a laundry service :-(

25 nights?? Color me completely jealous!!!!!!

Have fun!

Wow, I just spent the last two weeks going through all 93 pages in the thread. SO MUCH awesome advice. Our honeymoon cruise is next October and I like to plan ahead. I've been on a cruise before, but it was with a friend's family back in 08' (they paid for and handled everything- woohoo!) and I didn't really pay attention to much other than having fun. So essentially, I'm a first time cruiser. And the fiance is too. This thread will be invaluable in helping our planning.

Thanks, everyone!

CrusinMark, if you'll turn signatures OFF you'll only have 47 pages of this thread. Sounds so much easier and faster to read than 96 pages, doesn't it...well it is! That simply eliminates the "fluff" and contains only the posts.

Sign up for the roll call thread for your cruise and you'll learn a lot from that also. And the one for first time cruisers might be helpful too. Lots of great information out there and lots of tremendously nice & helpful people.

Good luck on your wedding planning...and congratulations.

~Marilyn