Wheelchair

Happytrip

Hi all,

I requested a wheelchair for my mother when boarding and disembasskation through my TA when I booked the Splendor. My TA said she requested a wheelchair for my mother, but TA does not know how and where to get one when I get to the port of Long Beach? My mother cannot continuing walking more than 20 steps at one time. I really need a wheelchair for her. Please tell me, how to get one when I get to the port of Long Beach. :)

Thanks

Hi all,

I requested a wheelchair for my mother when boarding and disembasskation through my TA when I booked the Splendor. My TA said she requested a wheelchair for my mother, but TA does not know how and where to get one when I get to the port of Long Beach? My mother cannot continuing walking more than 20 steps at one time. I really need a wheelchair for her. Please tell me, how to get one when I get to the port of Long Beach. :)

Thanks

Ask one of the porters as soon as you get to the port they should be able to help you out;)

Somewhere on Carnival's website it states that getting a wheel chair is not guaranteed.

I think they'll let you use one to get on and off at ports.

If she really needs a wheel chair, she should bring her own (or rent one).

Hi all,

Thanks

If your mother can not walk more than 20 steps at one time..what is she going to do once on the ship?? Carnival (and most of the other cruise lines) only has wheelchairs available for getting on/off the ship, not for use while on the ship, except in an emergency. And knowing you can't walk for more than 20 paces wouldn't count as an emergency!

If you've cruised Carnival in the past, you might remember that they did let passengers use wheelchairs throughout the cruise. That has been discontinued. If your mother needs one while on the ship (or while in ports), you need to talk to the special needs department at Carnival, see who they work with to rent a wheelchair, and do that.

Or, look at large pharmacies like Walgreens, where you can buy a lightweight collapsible chair, or in your local want ads where they're often for sale for less than $100, used.

Like the other posters said, you definitely should rent or buy a wheelchair/transport chair for your mother unless she plans on staying in the cabin all week. (A transport chair is one with small wheels - no big wheels so she can't push herself in it, but then most ppl who aren't used to pushing themselves in a wheelchair can do it for very long.)

My DW also needs a wheelchair for embarkation, and disembarkation. On our previous five Carnival cruises from Long Beach, we asked a porter, or a Carnival represenative, for one, and didn't have a problem.

Our TA suggested we fill out and send an assistance request to Carnival for our upcoming cruise in December, which we did. Our TA sent us the form, but you can print one from the Carnival website.

Hopefully, having sent the form, things will come off without a hitch.

Hi all,

Thanks

Your TA can find out this information for you.....that's her job.

Tell her you need the information and let her get on the phone and find out......

That's why folks use a TA.....to do the work.

Hi all, I requested a wheelchair for my mother when boarding and disembasskation through my TA when I booked the Splendor. My TA said she requested a wheelchair for my mother, but TA does not know how and where to get one when I get to the port of Long Beach? My mother cannot continuing walking more than 20 steps at one time. I really need a wheelchair for her. Please tell me, how to get one when I get to the port of Long Beach. :) Thanks

Ok, so we were at the LB pier a month ago, and had a similar situation....

If there are more than just you and Mom, this is what I recommend...drive up to the curb where the porters are, an adult needs to get out and walk over to the tables (outside) where the check in begins (go to the far right one, that's the special needs area). As you head over, see if you can find a Carnival employee (they're wearing blue blazers)...if you do find one, ask him/her for wheelchair assistance, which will likely be handled at once...if you have to, get in line at special needs, and ask for wheelchair assistance. They have only about a half dozen chairs at the dock, but they'll have someone come, and even push her for you. Your entire party can bypass the long check in line by going directly to the special needs area (far right table). If it's just you and Mom (no other adult), you'll have to ask security (directing traffic) for direction to where you can safely "park" and follow directions above.

Now, here's MY question...what will happen when you get on the ship? Carnival will not loan Mom a chair for the duration of the cruise, so once she's on board, they want their chair back (immediately). Wouldn't it be easier to rent a wheelchair for her use during the trip? It's gonna be a mighty long week if Mom can only walk 20 steps or so at a time.

Hi all,

Thanks

Hi Happytrip, Just go to your reservations, click on Manage bookings, you will see a drop down menu. Click on modify booking and you will see a form for your information, you will find a place to order a WC in advance. Carnival will call you a few days before departure date and confirm this and give you the particulars. I've done this many times. I admire your Mom for trying to be active and a cruise would be perfect for her. You might want to consider renting one of the lightweight foldable chair for her to use on board. Happy sailing! :D

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the suggestion. I will fill up the request form, if I do not get any reply from Carnival, I will deal with it when arrive @ Long Beach.

I am glad that I join Crise Critic, you are all fully experience cruisers:)

Archived