Aft VA Cabins on Vista Class Ships

SabreSailor

We've normally booked midship cabins with HAL, but are intrigued by the aft VA cabins on the Vista Class ships. If the water gets rough, do you sense a lot of movement there? Is it preferable to have one of these cabins on a particular deck?

We love sitting far aft in the main dining room, so we thought this might be a good location for our cabin.

Thanks in advance!

We love this location ... it is very quiet ,the lovely wake is just a step away and both starboard and port vistas can be enjoyed.

Neither my husbsnd nor I suffer from motion sickness,having said that I did not experience much motion in our cabin at all

Hurricane Hannah was close by at one point during our cruise and even then the sensation was not anything untoward., whether this would bother a motion sensitive person I can't say.

The Eurodam balconies are not as deep as some of the other Vista ships ( see deck plans) but we enjoyed ours very much.

We were on the fourth deck (you are still quite high up from the water:)) I can't say how much difference higher up would make

.Perhaps the cabins directly under the Lido deck might have some issue with deck chairs being moved etc.

Have fun deciding:)

I've had aft balconies on several of the Vistas, both pre- & post- renovations.

As to your first question, you may feel a bit more motion than mid-ship, but certainly not nearly as much as a forward cabin. (I've never been sea-sick <knock on wood>, and only had one night when rocking & rolling was "difficult"!)

As to which deck? It is said that the higher cabins have more movement; perhaps they do; I've only had Navigator deck afts. As for sun/shade coverings, it just depends on whether they've been "altered", and I can't keep up with which decks are "sunnier" on which ships! Bepsf has a pretty good handle on these, I think; or others may volunteer info on those, if that's part of your decision.

You can search the boards for "aft cabins" or "aft balcony" and probably find lots of threads with lots of info. I always love an aft balcony whenever I can get one!

Hope this helps...

Paul ;)

I think you may be confused about Zuiderdam's deck 5 being fully covered. I was in a deck 6 aft cabin in May and the balconies below mine were all very open.

Diane

These pics are of a deck 5 corner SC - 5191, I believe. Admittedly not a VA, but they show how little overhead exposure there is on deck 5. The partition in the lower pic connects to a VA.

attachment.php?attachmentid=85592attachment.php?attachmentid=85593

These pics are of a deck 5 corner SC - 5191, I believe. Admittedly not a VA, but they show how little overhead exposure there is on deck 5. The partition in the lower pic connects to a VA.

attachment.php?attachmentid=85592attachment.php?attachmentid=85593

AHA...that's why it's covered and soooo much larger than the aft VAs...it's an SC. :D My aft VA (deck 6) on the Zuiderdam had a lounger, chair and ottoman and tiny round table with none of the wide open space to wander around in like in your picture. And, like I said, it had hardly any cover, maybe 1/5 ft., just like the one OP was asking about on deck 5. I could see very well into the balconies below me and when my neighbors were sitting out there. It's wide open viewing in the VAs.

My aft VA (deck 6) on the Zuiderdam had a lounger, chair and ottoman and tiny round table with none of the wide open space to wander around in like in your picture. And, like I said, it had hardly any cover, maybe 1/5 ft.,
These pics are from the Westerdam, and maaaaaaaybe there's a difference from the Zuiderdam, but I just don't understand how that is possible, since the floor plans are identical.

Yes, decks 6 and 7 (both corner suites and VAs) still have exposure post-refit (but less than before), and deck 4 still has all of the exposure that it had pre-refit, since nothing was changed there. Deck 5 was not extended.

You can see in the lower pic, near the partition, where the steel floor structure of deck 6 extends to relative to the railing. Most of that VA cabin's veranda is under that overhang. I understand that you may be able to see a little bit of the deck 5 VA balconies from 6 or 7, but it can't be more than a foot tops. On the Westerdam ... which may be different from the Zuiderdam.

I don't suppose you have a picture looking down from your railing or you would have posted it.

These pics are from the Westerdam, and maaaaaaaybe there's a difference from the Zuiderdam, but I just don't understand how that is possible, since the floor plans are identical.

Yes, decks 6 and 7 (both corner suites and VAs) still have exposure post-refit (but less than before), and deck 4 still has all of the exposure that it had pre-refit, since nothing was changed there. Deck 5 was not extended.

You can see in the lower pic, near the partition, where the steel floor structure of deck 6 extends to relative to the railing. Most of that VA cabin's veranda is under that overhang. I understand that you may be able to see a little bit of the deck 5 VA balconies from 6 or 7, but it can't be more than a foot tops. On the Westerdam ... which may be different from the Zuiderdam.

I don't suppose you have a picture looking down from your railing or you would have posted it.

You are correct, I did not take any pictures of the balconies below mine. I was in Alaska and all of my pictures were focused on the gorgeous scenery, not the ship. :) I don't know why you're doubting me. :confused: In May, I was on the Zuiderdam (not the Westerdam...the OP was asking about aft VAs on the Zuiderdam) in an aft VA on deck 6 and I swear that the balconies directly below me were wide open for perfect viewing into them.

Diane

You are correct, I did not take any pictures of the balconies below mine. I was in Alaska and all of my pictures were focused on the gorgeous scenery, not the ship. :) I don't know why you're doubting me. :confused: In May, I was on the Zuiderdam (not the Westerdam...the OP was asking about aft VAs on the Zuiderdam) in an aft VA on deck 6 and I swear that the balconies directly below me were wide open for perfect viewing into them.

Diane

The OP was not asking about VAs on the Zuiderdam, she was asking about Vista ships. (See post #1) I made a general statement about the three Vista ships which have been retro-fitted, not just the Zuiderdam, and you questioned my statement.

You are the first person that I have ever heard say that the deck 5 balconies on the post-refit Oosterdam, Westerdam, or Zuiderdam "were wide open for perfect viewing into them". Or, in fact, had any exposure to speak of at all.

OP: you can see the lower edge of deck 6 just above the partiton in the second picture. You can see the deck 5 railing. You can judge for yourself how much coverage you can expect to find in stern VA cabin 5189 on the Westerdam. Apparently, on the Zuiderdam, you may find something different.

The OP was not asking about VAs on the Zuiderdam, she was asking about Vista ships. (See post #1) I made a general statement about three of the Vista ships, not just the Zuiderdam, and you questioned my statement.

You are the first person that I have ever heard say that the deck 5 balconies on the post-refit Oosterdam, Westerdam, or Zuiderdam "were wide open for perfect viewing into them". Or, in fact, had any exposure to speak of at all.

OP: you can see the lower edge of deck 6 just above the partiton in the second picture. You can see the deck 5 railing. You can judge for yourself how much coverage you can expect to find in stern VA cabin 5189 on the Westerdam. Apparently, on the Zuiderdam, you may find something different.

I stand corrected....the OP was asking about Vista class, not the Zuiderdam in particular.

However, I stand by my vivid memory of less than 6 months ago. The stern of the Zuiderdam was stair-stepped at an angle that allowed me to easily see into all of the balconies below me. Ya know what, it's kinda cool to be "first" at something. :D

THIS SITE (click) has excellent shots of the Zuiderdam stern before and after her 2008 refit. Note that the deck 6 stern railing is almost directly vertically above the deck 5 railing, such that deck 6 covers almost all of the deck 5 verandas. :)

Hoo boy! Note to self: never enter into another "discussion" on this board unless you have pictures to validate your memory. :)

Quick question for John's wife -- How many "yes dears" do you get without an ongoing argument? :D:D:D

Happy cruising!

Diane

Since deck 4 was not altered on the Oosterdam, does that mean if we are sitting on our verandah everyone above us will see us sipping our coffee? Is there any shade on deck 4 aft cabins?
Roughly 1/2 of the deck 4 verandahs can be seen from above. If you are sitting back near the door you are hidden. Look closely af the Before picture in the link that I gave.

The amount of shade depends on which way the ship is facing. :)

We love this location ... it is very quiet ,the lovely wake is just a step away and both starboard and port vistas can be enjoyed.

Neither my husbsnd nor I suffer from motion sickness,having said that I did not experience much motion in our cabin at all

Hurricane Hannah was close by at one point during our cruise and even then the sensation was not anything untoward., whether this would bother a motion sensitive person I can't say.

The Eurodam balconies are not as deep as some of the other Vista ships ( see deck plans) but we enjoyed ours very much.

We were on the fourth deck (you are still quite high up from the water:)) I can't say how much difference higher up would make

.Perhaps the cabins directly under the Lido deck might have some issue with deck chairs being moved etc.

Have fun deciding:)

Have been in a Stern Verandah on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam.

It is very convenient for getting to the dining room. And if you are on an upper deck, for a quick run up to the Lido.

There is much less movement in rough seas than forward on the ship.

The real value comes from the view. Always looking over the wake.

This was especially beautiful in Alaska, where PAX are always concerned as to which side of the ship they should be on. Well the Stern sees BOTH.

On the decks below me only the last 2/3 feet of their verandahs was visible. The part near the cabin door is totally covered.

Book the stern and enjoy.

I thought I had this photo somewhere.

Here is a profile photo of the Westerdam from this August.

The "Westie" is on the left and the Hideously Ugly Veendam stern is on the right.

It should be Identical to the other Vista Class ships with the possible exception of the Noordam.

One can clearly see the "staircase" of the stern with each of the decks (except 8, which is Totally covered) having mostly covered verandahs with the last few feet uncovered.

Hope this helps

DSCN3234.jpg.9dc4228e4182203f7a06b9008ad83c39.jpg

It should be Identical to the other Vista Class ships with the possible exception of the Noordam.
Yes, the Noordam stern is evenly sloped, rather than having that vertical drop from deck 6 to deck 5 that resulted from the retrofits.

IMO it's really a shame that they didn't extend the Veendam's dining room to line up with the new upper section. It still would have been uglier than the original design, but I believe not as ugly as it is now. :(

Archived