Any experience cruising solo over Christmas?

thepumpkin

Noticed some good deals out of San Juan on Celebrity over the holidays,,,lot better than out of Florida...so wondering if any one has traveled out of San Juan at that time of year ....fear there will be just large family groups and one could feel a bit intimidated as a solo....I imagine RCCL and Carnival will be worse .

I would appreciate any advice..

Noticed some good deals out of San Juan on Celebrity over the holidays,,,lot better than out of Florida...so wondering if any one has traveled out of San Juan at that time of year ....fear there will be just large family groups and one could feel a bit intimidated as a solo....I imagine RCCL and Carnival will be worse .

I would appreciate any advice..

Hi,:) I have sailed the week before Christmas before and yes, there

were a lot of families on board.

Nobody intimidated me but I do know Christmas week was going to

have wayyy more families on board than when I went......if you don't

mind 500 kids? Just depends if the savings is worth it to you.

Christmas cruises ALWAYS have tons and tons of families.

Not something I care to do but not because of intimidation.

Not saying children aren't nice but since I have choices when I want

to sail, I go when there are less on board.

I've cruised over Christmas/New Years before--Dawn Princess out of SF for 11 nights in 2007. I'd suggest, if you want to cruise over the holidays, to take a longer cruise. On my cruise there were about 30-40 singles that showed up at the various meet ups the first few days on my cruise.

I've noticed over the past few years there are lots of solos travelling over the holidays (both land trips and cruises). For me this is when I have extended time off from work and it works out to be a good time to travel (except of course for the added cost).

Faith

I used to take holiday cruises because my former company closed down for the 2 week period. I always had a great time. Carnival makes a point of seating singles together so that was never a problem. One time I was seated a lone and these 2 huge families from Canada seated near me invited me to join them and I bounced around between the 2 families and that was fun. Also sat with a family from NJ on an RCCL cruise and we kept in contact for a long time afterwards. If you are a people person you should not have a problem. And the # of kids never really made a huge difference since they stay in the day camp. I also am very talented in finding the places where the kids and crowds won't be.

The problem with so many families, the children may be 3rd and 4th occupancy in a cabin- the ship gets really crowded. I was on a cruise in January (the Carnival Valor, if I remember correctly)- 400 kids, you never saw them- but there had been 1400 over Christmas.

But with the cost of airfare to San Juan, there might be fewer families from there- I'd suspect that's why they're offering the deals.

I've had good experiences on cruises Dec 26 - New Years. I find there are a lot of couples and families, but there are a lot of solo travelers too. I supposed it all depends how outgoing you are. I like meeting people. I'm taking a cruise on Dec 26 on HAL(Eurodam) this year, and looking forward to having a great time.

Holly

Archived