Maya Chan Beach Resort?

DaniellefromOttawa

This looks like a lovely place and a nice addition to Costa Maya. It definitely looks like it fits the bill for a quiet, relaxing beach day.

I have read through this thread, looked at the multitude of lovely pics posted here and on the official website and didn;t see anyone actually swimming. There were alot of kayakers and some underwater snorkel pics but i didn;t see anyone just floating or enjoying the ocean waves.

I understand the turtle grass can be bothersome and at times overwelming but does it prevent swimming ( do you get all tangled up in loose grass?)

I would appreciate any comments. Thanks:D

I went swimming when we were there- the grass is pretty easy to avoid and I had none on me when I got out of the water. They also have floats that you sit in that have drink hoolders- if you are not too far out David or one of the others will bring drinks out to you. It's very relaxing.;)

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Maya Chan last week and it was the highlight of the week. Great place to just relax or kayak and snorkel. Food and drinks were great and staff made our trip very memorable. They could not do enough for us. Great day!!!

We just got back from our cruise and went to the Maya Chan just by chance. We had never heard of it but just happened to rent a golf cart for the day and while we were going by on the road, we saw a sign saying: "Welcome Epic Cruisers". We decided to stop for a drink and that allowed us to use their beach and chairs. We also used their free WiFi to check our e-mail on our Ipod touch while we were resting.

They had a buffet lunch that we did not partake of but were told that it was $10 or $12 per person. The had some great looking Tortillas.

Contact me if you need more info on the resort. We got the manager's business card.

We loved it there and would love to return.

We just got back from our cruise and went to the Maya Chan just by chance. We had never heard of it but just happened to rent a golf cart for the day and while we were going by on the road, we saw a sign saying: "Welcome Epic Cruisers". We decided to stop for a drink and that allowed us to use their beach and chairs. We also used their free WiFi to check our e-mail on our Ipod touch while we were resting.

They had a buffet lunch that we did not partake of but were told that it was $10 or $12 per person. The had some great looking Tortillas.

Contact me if you need more info on the resort. We got the manager's business card.

We loved it there and would love to return.

How long were you on the golf cart? By regular cab or bus, Maya Chan is AT LEAST 30 minutes. I cannot imagine how long it would have taken by golf cart on those roads. Also, Maya Chan is known for their "no walk in" policy and that is what appeals to everyone who prebooks because people are turned away if they just show up. How did you manage to do this?

We just returned from Maya Chan and we loved it!!!

On the way there my wife was giving me the "what were you thinking booking this" face but 10 minutes after we arrived and she was telling me I was a genius.

As far as golf carts go I know we got lapped by 1 group on carts. The golf carts passed us with ease. I think that would be the fastest way to get there.

Our only complaint was waiting for the bus at the pier and the ride there. They had us all in an open air bus that rode like a school bus minus it's shocks. Took 40 minutes to get there 20 or so to get back by van. If we could have just grabbed a cab right when we got there we would have had about 1 hr extra.

We will definitely go back anytime we are on cruise that hits Costa Maya

We have reservations to go to Maya Chan in January, and I am getting concerned about the trip there after reading several comments about the "rough road" and bus. Several of us have very bad backs - is there any option to riding the bus?Should I contact Maya Chan to ask if they have any alternatives - has anyone delt with this problem?

Fran (and Jeff)

We went twice to Maya Chan- both times the girl waiting for guests put us into a van-- it is a bumpy road, but we found it interesting- lots to see, although some of it was hurricaine damage. Once we went back in a van and once in a cab. Either way it is the same distance. We loved it there and are still in contact with Mark. He and Jane and their son, Mark are great people. They are born hosts and all their employees are very nice people. When I went kayaking and one lady had trouble getting back into her kayak after snorkling, I just had to yell "Preston!: and he came streaming through the water and got her right back into her kayak. I told him that he was a hero, he said "no", but to that girl and me, he certainly was. Preston is a fixture in Costa Maya and a treasure for Maya Chan. Once we were there and the weather was fine- we did water sports and ate and drank, the next week was after the Haiti earthquake and the water was murky- so snorkling was out, so just swimming and a grand "social" day. Rain or shine, the next time our cruise ship stops in Costa Maya, we will be at Maya Chan. ;)

We went to Maya Chan on the 19th and had the best time. The staff and other guests were all wonderful and so much fun! We had tasty drinks and lunch followed by a relaxing massage. We loved the floating chairs and the drink delivery while floating in those chairs. Some of our group took the kayaks out to snorkel. The ride to and from was bumpy but we had some great laughs along the way. We were lucky enough to have experienced pirates with us on the way to Maya Chan who should be part of the Maya Chan marketing team. They assured us that we were going to love Maya Chan like they did the week before... and they were right! We dMaya Chan and told everyone we talked to on the ship how much they missed if they did anything else in Costa Maya. Mark told us the place isn't the Ritz, but they sure treated us like it was!!!

We just got back from Maya Chan and it was a great experience.

The service and the friendly people were what stood out, that and the sea bass what was out of this world amazing.

Our friends got to see us in front of the web cam which was cool and we made them all jealous.

The ride is a little long, if you get car sick, sit in the front seat and appreciate how good we have it here in America. That was another world going there, and you could tell the area was still trying to get back on their feet from Hurricane Dean three years ago? But, Maya Chan was a paradise, I would 100% go back and will. Still can't get over the service.

Here is a picture of my wife and I from their web cam.

SnapshotJPEG.jpg

We have reservations to go to Maya Chan in January, and I am getting concerned about the trip there after reading several comments about the "rough road" and bus. Several of us have very bad backs - is there any option to riding the bus?Should I contact Maya Chan to ask if they have any alternatives - has anyone delt with this problem?

Fran (and Jeff)

The bus we were on went extremely slow, its not like they are flying down the road, its just a long road, not all of its bumpy just the last 10 minutes or so. Really no alternatives to getting there. You should be fine as there was a few people on our bus worried about their backs and they were ok because we went very slow down the bumpy road, the long road to get there disappears quick when you have that first cocktail in your hand. :)

15 min trip from the ship. its real worth it. friendly staff, good food, open bar and no skimping.

maya chan isn't known for its water so dont expect the great barrier reef.

they keep it clean and it is what it is. comfortable chairs.

the ship it there and you dont get better in maya chan. great company, staff looking to please and a bit off the beaten path with a limited number of guests.

if i'm back in maya chan there there is no where else i'd go.

We just returned from yet another fantastic day at Maya Chan! The water was reddish in color due to red-mangroves upstream discoloring the water but it didn't stop us from enjoying it! My family considered it their favorite day solely due to the attention from the staff and the pure relaxation. It was the perfect first port. The massages were fantastic and drool-worthy. The food was out of this world.

Our trip in November 2010

http://www.pbase.com/trtllovr/costa_maya

Our first trip in February 2010

http://www.pbase.com/trtllovr/costa_maya_2010

Fran (and Jeff)

we went last month. & yup the travel was the absolute worst !!

seems maya chan has a big problem with the port transportation. the taxi/port insist that they want to use those big open air bus transportation.

but they DO have many different size taxis that handle 3 people & up.

Mayaychan has said if you have to wait for longer than 10 minutes to insist on a taxi & they will pay the driver.

we had friends who got to taxi stand before us, they were not happy waiting 15 min , then isisted on a taxi. after much arguing they got what they wanted. we arrived waited 15 min, then they finally put 6 of us in a taxi to head off.. BUT while the driver was hedging, they pulled us off saying that a larger group had arrived & we would all go together. well dang, they had nice HUGE busses there,, but nooooooo we were shoved on the stupid open air no shock ride. after we got on our drive informed us that the ride would take 1 hour!!!! wth?

I so wished I had the guts to get off & demand a smaller cab.

seems our friends in a smaller cab got there in 15 min, our trip over 45 min.

on way back, the resort got 2 14 pax busses , which we were crammed in .. ( I hate that.. one buy even had to sit on floor). but it only took us 20 min to get back.

my suggestion..... when you get to taxi stand & check in insist on a smaller taxi,, quickly. maya chan pays,, but even if you did, its only like $3. pp ( or so I was told)

ok,, thats it for th ebad part.

the best part is it was wonderful beach!!!

just wonderful powder soft sand! & they had someone raking the sea grass while we were there. but even then i can see where it is a pain, it just floats up all the time!!

the people were great, all the palapas were wonderful.

highly recomended

we went last month. & yup the travel was the absolute worst !!

seems maya chan has a big problem with the port transportation. the taxi/port insist that they want to use those big open air bus transportation.

but they DO have many different size taxis that handle 3 people & up.

Mayaychan has said if you have to wait for longer than 10 minutes to insist on a taxi & they will pay the driver.

we had friends who got to taxi stand before us, they were not happy waiting 15 min , then isisted on a taxi. after much arguing they got what they wanted. we arrived waited 15 min, then they finally put 6 of us in a taxi to head off.. BUT while the driver was hedging, they pulled us off saying that a larger group had arrived & we would all go together. well dang, they had nice HUGE busses there,, but nooooooo we were shoved on the stupid open air no shock ride. after we got on our drive informed us that the ride would take 1 hour!!!! wth?

I so wished I had the guts to get off & demand a smaller cab.

seems our friends in a smaller cab got there in 15 min, our trip over 45 min.

on way back, the resort got 2 14 pax busses , which we were crammed in .. ( I hate that.. one buy even had to sit on floor). but it only took us 20 min to get back.

my suggestion..... when you get to taxi stand & check in insist on a smaller taxi,, quickly. maya chan pays,, but even if you did, its only like $3. pp ( or so I was told)

ok,, thats it for th ebad part.

the best part is it was wonderful beach!!!

just wonderful powder soft sand! & they had someone raking the sea grass while we were there. but even then i can see where it is a pain, it just floats up all the time!!

the people were great, all the palapas were wonderful.

highly recomended

So we should hold out and insist on taking a taxi? There will only be the two of us, but I don't want to waste 30 minutes and deal with a terrible trip if it's not necessary.

We went to Maya Chan twice last January- once in a sedan and once in a regular van. Both times it took about 30 minutes- kind of bouncy, but not bad- the driver went around most of the potholes. Going back, both times we had vans. If you have any worries e-mail Mark and tell him of your concerns about transportation. He is a reasonable man and wants all his guests to be happy. Mark wants you at the resort as soon as you can get there and to have such a wonderful time that you will want to be his friend forever. E-mail him. ;)

So we should hold out and insist on taking a taxi? There will only be the two of us, but I don't want to waste 30 minutes and deal with a terrible trip if it's not necessary.

I agree with LaurieCM

email mark

they pay transportation no matter which you take. ( meaning no matter what kind of vehicle you take the port charges them)

you will just have to be really firm with the taxi people that you do NOT want to ride in one of those big old banana trucks.

the smaller the vehicle the faster you will get there.

when we go again we are certainly going to get a taxi we want ( even if we had to pay the pittance for the fee)

you check in on a list at the taxi stand. tell them you are NOT waiting for 40 people to take a bus. you will wait 5 min for a small taxi. then go back & complain. insist insist insist. our friends did that & got over an hour more beach time than we did.

there is no point for your beginning of your day to be marred with this.

really wish we did that!

A group of 7 of us went to Maya Chan last Tues.Nov.9th. It was wonderful! Everything I read on here was right. It was pure paradise! The staff were friendly, especially Zach, the snorkelling guy (a little too friendly...) and the food was incredible!!! The service was soooooo good and the beach was sheer heaven. Yes the road was extremely bumpy and my friend and I both felt car sick bad, but the driver was very slow and didn't hit the holes hard at all. Worth the drive to get to paradise. The snorkelling and kayaking was fun and the beach was lovely. I would go back again for sure!

Lisa in Canada

Interesting, when we got picked up on Nov. 1 we were picked up in a large bus, not open air. The pickup time was estimated from 9-9:30 so we got there after 9:15 and only had to wait about 5-10 minutes. The ride over was fine, a bit slower since it was such a large bus but we were thankful for the air conditioning and the fact that they were going slow over those craters. And besides it gave us a chance to see local things.

No complaints here.

We were there on a rainy day last week. An air conditioned bus picked up our group. The ride out wasn't near as bad as I expected, just bumpy from pot holes. The only problem with the bus was that water leaked in from the ceiling. I should say that it poured in from the ceiling. Some people got wet. The air condition was blasting and we were all freezing. When we arrived, it was raining hard. Fifteen people decided not to stay, but the rest of us wanted to give it a try. It rained for about an hour, and then stopped. The sun never came out but we were all able to enjoy the beach and activities. It was too chilly to enjoy playing in the water, but some kayaked and snorkeled. Lunch was great. The service was fantastic. Everyone who works there is really fun. At the end of the day, a group of us went back in a van. I'm glad we stayed and gave it a try. If we go back to Costa Maya, we will definitely go back to Maya Chan.

We went to Maya Chan twice last January- once in a sedan and once in a regular van. Both times it took about 30 minutes- kind of bouncy, but not bad- the driver went around most of the potholes. Going back, both times we had vans. If you have any worries e-mail Mark and tell him of your concerns about transportation. He is a reasonable man and wants all his guests to be happy. Mark wants you at the resort as soon as you can get there and to have such a wonderful time that you will want to be his friend forever. E-mail him. ;)

I am sure it is staring me in the face but could you give me (or lead me to) his email address? Thanks for helping me decide what we are going to do in Costa Maya! :D

Archived