Warning Harry's Supper Club Surf & Turf

gracie65

We were on the 10/31 Liberty cruise and thought the Supper Club food was great. Filet was perferctly charred outside but medium inside, lobster tail was delicious. We all tried different things (3 of us).

I've eaten at the Supper Club on 2 Carnival ships now and have not been disappointed by any means!

I do agree with you and in the past I would have said something

But being this was my GF first cruise in over a year after battling stage four breast cancer, I didnt. She was wearing a wig, since she had no hair at the time and other things that only someone that has gone thru that would understand. She was very very self concious about her situation I didnt want to bring any attention to us I chose to keep the whole situation quiet. She actually didnt find out aboutit till 4 months later when she was wondering why we were not booking our semi annual cruise on Carnival

Looking back maybe I should have gotten up and went to the hostess at the bar flirting with her BF and brought it to her attention but since I was being overprotective of my GF's feeling insecure about her appearance I didnt

What would you have done if it was your silverware though? I can understand your position, just couldn't have stood it if it were mine. My kids say I'm germaphobic, which I'm not, just can't tolerate gross stuff.

Everything we had was wonderful except the surf & turf & the cold baked potato I had to send back (second one was very hot). Just skip the lobster & get the rib-eye or porterhouse. The Lobster Bisque is fabulous.

What was wrong with the meat quality? Too much fat, too little fat, overdone, underdone, tough, tasteless? Cold? "Quality" is subjective. What exactly did you find unacceptable?

What was wrong with the meat quality? Too much fat, too little fat, overdone, underdone, tough, tasteless? Cold? "Quality" is subjective. What exactly did you find unacceptable?

The best description I can give is that it was just like the fillet you buy at the grocery store that has the bacon wrapped around it except this didn't have the bacon. I have eaten at Ruth's Chris, New York Prime & my fav. Council Oak at Hard Rock in FLL and this cut of meat was in no way similar to any of those. It was cooked correct (medium rare Pittsburgh style) however it was tasteless & obvious to our group that it didn't measure up to other Supper Club visits. It was very obvious this was a cut no better then what I get at my local Food Lion.

Again, the bone in Rib-Eye & Porterhouse cuts were wonderful & that's what I'll get next time I go to a Carnival ship Supper Club.

The Customer service has gone down with Carnival. Ever since Bob retired

The new CEO is about the Bottom line not customer service

You got that right! It's almost been a stampede downward. Carnival's food was always better than the other lines. Now I'm not finding that at all. It's a shame.

The best description I can give is that it was just like the fillet you buy at the grocery store that has the bacon wrapped around it except this didn't have the bacon. I have eaten at Ruth's Chris, New York Prime & my fav. Council Oak at Hard Rock in FLL and this cut of meat was in no way similar to any of those. It was cooked correct (medium rare Pittsburgh style) however it was tasteless & obvious to our group that it didn't measure up to other Supper Club visits. It was very obvious this was a cut no better then what I get at my local Food Lion.

Again, the bone in Rib-Eye & Porterhouse cuts were wonderful & that's what I'll get next time I go to a Carnival ship Supper Club.

I'm pretty sharp on steaks and I doubt I could VISUALLY tell the difference between a Choice and a Prime piece of COOKED meat. Especially Pittsburgh.

But if you did not care for the flavor, that's good enough.

Sounds like a bad cut of meat. I freakin' hate that. I wonder if they'll let you see the cuts before picking. Anyone ever tried that?

Sounds like a bad cut of meat. I freakin' hate that. I wonder if they'll let you see the cuts before picking. Anyone ever tried that?

Good idea. They do bring them out to see, but since I've always loved the surf & turf I didn't pay much attention. I have always compared the meats to those of the finer steak houses & I get a better Fillet at Outback then I got this time. I still love the Supper Club and whole experience so next time I'll either ask to see the meat or go with a different cut.

I'm afraid that if people keep paying for food at a supper club, then we will all be paying for our food in the MDR eventually. Just a thought.

I'm sure it's been discuss in the board room and probably even already sought feedback from previous cruiser. If you haven't noticed, in this economy, marketing has a big empaths on SAVING money. Carnival currently follows that stragetgy by touting "cruise for $70/day". I'm sure a lot of top brass would like to say "cruise for $49/day!" But at the cost of charging a fee in the MDR.

Just back from the Valor and thought the Super Club was OUTSTANDING! I didn't tip an additional amount and later felt slightly guilty about that.

I travel a lot for work and we often stay at hotel with a Ruth Chris. I personally think Ruth Chris is way overrated.

The best entire meal I have ever had was a few years ago at Emeril's Las Vegas. The food, the presentation, the service the creativity....I would say our meal from the Super Club was close if not surpassed this.

DW got the surf and turf (I don't really do filet as it is tender but not very tasty). I almost went with the NY Strip (my personal favorite and one I cook at home a lot), but I went with the lobster and it was awesome! I loved that it was grilled. When the chef came out and asked how everything was, I even talked to him about how it was cooked. I thought maybe they boiled it first and then finished on the grill. But they do it 100% on the gill!

Here are some pic's....

Escargot...(good but my least favorite of what I ordered. I just didn't like the breading with it).

escargot.jpg

Sushi. It is hard to see, but these are big pieces!

suchie.jpg

Very well cooked grilled lobster

lobsterk.jpg

Incredible desert, Chocolate tart. Incredible in presentation and in taste

desert.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the added free chef selection. This included a another appetizer and another desert!

I'm pretty sharp on steaks and I doubt I could VISUALLY tell the difference between a Choice and a Prime piece of COOKED meat. Especially Pittsburgh.

Yea, I would tend it agree. It would be impossible to see the difference after cooking.

And tasting. That would be tough as well unless you had the two side by side. A good Choice can be better than a bad Prime.

Just back from the Valor and thought the Super Club was OUTSTANDING! I didn't tip an additional amount and later felt slightly guilty about that.

I travel a lot for work and we often stay at hotel with a Ruth Chris. I personally think Ruth Chris is way overrated.

The best entire meal I have ever had was a few years ago at Emeril's Las Vegas. The food, the presentation, the service the creativity....I would say our meal from the Super Club was close if not surpassed this.

DW got the surf and turf (I don't really do filet as it is tender but not very tasty). I almost went with the NY Strip (my personal favorite and one I cook at home a lot), but I went with the lobster and it was awesome! I loved that it was grilled. When the chef came out and asked how everything was, I even talked to him about how it was cooked. I thought maybe they boiled it first and then finished on the grill. But they do it 100% on the gill!

Here are some pic's....

Escargot...(good but my least favorite of what I ordered. I just didn't like the breading with it).

escargot.jpg

Sushi. It is hard to see, but these are big pieces!

suchie.jpg

Very well cooked grilled lobster

lobsterk.jpg

Incredible desert, Chocolate tart. Incredible in presentation and in taste

desert.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the added free chef selection. This included a another appetizer and another desert!

My lobster usually comes out like this but looked nothing like it this time except for being in the shell. Which reminds me the waiter usually comes over to remove from the shell & I ended up doing it.

Since I know for a fact how good the surf & turf usually are at The Supper Clubs I think either they have made cut backs in Harry's or I was there an off night. Either way it won''t keep me from going again and it may even not keep me from getting the surf & turf again but if I did have another meal similar I would swap another cut of meat if I were to be served the bad excuse for a fillet I got this time.

I mainly just wanted to give other Supper Club lovers a heads up that the surf and turf quality may have gone down & to mentally prepare in case this is now the norm. I look very forward to The Supper Club each time I sail & while this in no way gave me a bad cruise it did not satisfy my fillet & lobster craving which builds prior to each cruise!!!LOL

Thanks for the pix. Service/Presentation aside, RC has two major problems...1st they use cheaper WET-aged prime beef which isn't as good as DRY age beef...2nd because they heat the plates to 500f, if you cut up your steak into small pieces, those little pieces will continue to cook and dry out. For best results, one needs to only cut off one piece and eat before cutting additional pieces, especially when first served.

I've wondered what the supper clubs used as far as aging, if they ever freeze the beef and what do they do with the leftover beef when the cruise is over...

My husband and I have eaten in the Supper Club three times. The first two (both on the Liberty two years ago) we beyond excellent. The food quality, the taste, presentation, service, ambiance, etc. It was all wonderful.

We were disappointed in our Supper Club experience last October on the Spirit. The service was just okay. Not bad, just okay. The food portions were much smaller, which didn't really bother us, but might bother "big eaters." The quality of the food was nowhere near what we experienced two years ago. Also, on the Liberty, each main course was accompanied by thoughtful side items (I remember my surf and turf coming with some kind of oxtail creation and a yummy ravioli type item) that enhanced your main course (this was in addition to the sides you could order, such as creamed spinach or sauteed mushrooms). This time, my surf and turf came with nothing other than the sides we ordered. The portions on these sides were tiny, too. In terms of quality, the steak and lobster was just okay. I actually enjoyed many meals in the MDR much more than that one night at the Supper Club.

This was a 12-cruise, so we had originally planned on eating in the Supper Club several times, but after the first night decided not to come back again.

I was hoping this was an isolated incident on this sailing because I have enjoyed and recommended the Supper Clubs in the past, but from reading some posts on this forum, it sounds like the Supper Clubs may be changing for the worse.

Thanks for the pix. Service/Presentation aside, RC has two major problems...1st they use cheaper WET-aged prime beef which isn't as good as DRY age beef...2nd because they heat the plates to 500f, if you cut up your steak into small pieces, those little pieces will continue to cook and dry out. For best results, one needs to only cut off one piece and eat before cutting additional pieces, especially when first served.

I've wondered what the supper clubs used as far as aging, if they ever freeze the beef and what do they do with the leftover beef when the cruise is over...

Well I won't disagree with you, but my main issue with RC is I can almost literally NEVER get them to not coat everything in that butter! And dare I ask them not to put that crap on my steak, they look at me like "only they know what is good". One guy even said "you have to have a little, it is our signature"! Really? Your signature it to ruin a great piece of meat with butter????

When my co-workers insist on going there, I know skip the steak all together usually get a salad and appetizer shrimp which is usually more than enough food for me.

My lobster usually comes out like this but looked nothing like it this time except for being in the shell. Which reminds me the waiter usually comes over to remove from the shell & I ended up doing it.

Since I know for a fact how good the surf & turf usually are at The Supper Clubs I think either they have made cut backs in Harry's or I was there an off night. Either way it won''t keep me from going again and it may even not keep me from getting the surf & turf again but if I did have another meal similar I would swap another cut of meat if I were to be served the bad excuse for a fillet I got this time.

I mainly just wanted to give other Supper Club lovers a heads up that the surf and turf quality may have gone down & to mentally prepare in case this is now the norm. I look very forward to The Supper Club each time I sail & while this in no way gave me a bad cruise it did not satisfy my fillet & lobster craving which builds prior to each cruise!!!LOL

That is a shame. Your right, maybe the stars were crossed or the chef was having a bad day.

We were also on the 10/24 sailing of the liberty. Talked about going to Harry's this was our 7th cruise and we have only eaten in the specialty room once in all these cruises. A couple of our tablemates went to Harry's and said they were not impressed for the extra cost.

I don't think we would pay the extra to eat in the supper house. I can not see it being all that different from the MDR.

What would you have done if it was your silverware though? I can understand your position, just couldn't have stood it if it were mine. My kids say I'm germaphobic, which I'm not, just can't tolerate gross stuff.

If it had been ours I would have definately complained

And hind sight is 20/20 concerning my choices that night

BTW I have a very extensive medical background so you can call me very cautious when it does come to germs. So I do understand where your coming from

Wow..

I guess I'm kind of glad I'm not alone in my review of the supper club.

I kind of knew we were in trouble when our servers tried to sell us on 'warm water Canadian Lobster'. :eek:

I think if my Porterhouse had been cooked properly it probably would have been quite tasty. It's not a steak I EVER buy at home.. I think I've had it once previously in the last year only. I just can't believe they couldn't properly prepare a steak to 'Medium'... and it wasn't just mine.

The lobster bisque I had was good, albeit served lukewarm. The only difference between the Sun King bisque and the MDR? the Sun King had slightly larger pieces of lobster in it. Other than that, identical...but MDR was served warmer. I think the lobster was better in the MDR, from what my husband said.

True, once cooked the marbling melts into the meat. That's why I like the places where they show you the uncooked meat, and let you see that it is high quality. That assumes they don't show you the good stuff and then serve you something else.

It sounds to me like the prime filet was not really prime. Maybe they ran out, and failed to take it off the menu, or maybe they are trying to make an extra buck for the stockholders. Either way, they are wrong!

Well I won't disagree with you, but my main issue with RC is I can almost literally NEVER get them to not coat everything in that butter! And dare I ask them not to put that crap on my steak, they look at me like "only they know what is good". One guy even said "you have to have a little, it is our signature"! Really? Your signature it to ruin a great piece of meat with butter????

When my co-workers insist on going there, I know skip the steak all together usually get a salad and appetizer shrimp which is usually more than enough food for me.

Yes, butter's definitely their signature...The steak doesn't sizzle, it's the butter that does. Sell the buttered sizzle, not the steak...lol

Want to mention again that I have never been to the supper club. A prime 24oz porterhouse, a few starters, sides and dessert for $30 out the door...Is it a steal or a rip off; answer is, compared to what? Low-end steak house chains such as outback, logans or longhorn usually don't use aged or prime beef and maybe only include a salad and one side would charge more than $30 plus gratuity and tax. Compared to the MDR, if you are in the mood for a steak that's free, that's a tough one. On my cruise, they pitched the supper club as a five star restaurant...It definitely sounds like this is not the case and the meat is wet-aged and possibly frozen. :)

Yes, butter's definitely their signature...The steak doesn't sizzle, it's the butter that does. Sell the buttered sizzle, not the steak...lol

Want to mention again that I have never been to the supper club. A prime 24oz porterhouse, a few starters, sides and dessert for $30 out the door...Is it a steal or a rip off; answer is, compared to what? Low-end steak house chains such as outback, logans or longhorn usually don't use aged or prime beef and maybe only include a salad and one side would charge more than $30 plus gratuity and tax. Compared to the MDR, if you are in the mood for a steak that's free, that's a tough one. On my cruise, they pitched the supper club as a five star restaurant...It definitely sounds like this is not the case and the meat is wet-aged and possibly frozen. :)

Well I know everyone has an opinion, but I think the Super Club was well, well worth it. Five Star? Who knows. I do know my wife's Fillet Mignon in the Super Club was perfectly cooked and a nice thick cut. The steak she had in the MDR was "fine", but nothing special. There was NO desert in the MDR that would compare to the deserts in the Super Club. The Sushi I had in the Super Club was very good in taste and much better and MUCH larger pieces than anything in the MDR or the Sushi restaurant on board. While the service in the MDR was very good, I had a nice conversation with the chef in the Super Club.

I probably should have gotten the NY Strip as that is my "house" steak. I can cook it to perfection in my well seasoned cast iron pan. But I just didn't want to get so full as to be sick. Next time I'll have to get that.

Well I know everyone has an opinion, but I think the Super Club was well, well worth it. Five Star? Who knows. I do know my wife's Fillet Mignon in the Super Club was perfectly cooked and a nice thick cut. The steak she had in the MDR was "fine", but nothing special. There was NO desert in the MDR that would compare to the deserts in the Super Club. The Sushi I had in the Super Club was very good in taste and much better and MUCH larger pieces than anything in the MDR or the Sushi restaurant on board. While the service in the MDR was very good, I had a nice conversation with the chef in the Super Club.

I probably should have gotten the NY Strip as that is my "house" steak. I can cook it to perfection in my well seasoned cast iron pan. But I just didn't want to get so full as to be sick. Next time I'll have to get that.

Glad you overall liked it. Just wanted to add, if the chef couldn't cook to perfection, than he wouldn't have a job very long. I also curious to how they cook their steaks. Pan or griddle seared? Broiler and if so what tempature? Perhaps my next cruise I'll give it a shot...

Archived