Hotel Advice in Ft. Lauderdale

kimberlymae1423

Hello!

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale 1 day early (just in case our snowy Wisconsin delays us). Our cruise leaves from Miami the next day. I have heard many good things about SAS Transportation. I know that they only pick up from certain hotels and then drop you off at the port of Miami. If anybody has a recommendation of a hotel that has a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and that also knows SAS transportation picks you up from the morning of the cruise: advice would greatly be appreciated!! Are their grocery/liquor/ convience stores around these areas?

We are also planning on staying one night after our cruise. We would like a hotel that is within walking distance to the beach (or even on the beach for that matter!) We would like to stay under 150 if possible!

Hello!

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale 1 day early (just in case our snowy Wisconsin delays us). Our cruise leaves from Miami the next day. I have heard many good things about SAS Transportation. I know that they only pick up from certain hotels and then drop you off at the port of Miami. If anybody has a recommendation of a hotel that has a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and that also knows SAS transportation picks you up from the morning of the cruise: advice would greatly be appreciated!! Are their grocery/liquor/ convience stores around these areas?

We are also planning on staying one night after our cruise. We would like a hotel that is within walking distance to the beach (or even on the beach for that matter!) We would like to stay under 150 if possible!

For after the cruise, check out Bahia Mar hotel, across the street from Fort Laud beach and close to the airport, with good rates for the area.

Hi,

We are doing a very similar trip at the end of January. Coming from Connecticut, we decided to fly to Ft. Lauderdale two days early in case of bad weather. We used Hotwire to get the Hyatt Place (Ft. Lauderdale Airport North) for $89 a night. They have a free shuttle from the airport. It is my understanding that there is a shopping center with a Publix grocery store and a liquor store and some restaurants in very close walking distance of the Hyatt. There is also supposed to be a trolley (?free on the weekends?) that goes to the beach. I confirmed with Steve from SAS Transportation for a pickup at the Hyatt Place on the morning of our cruise. SAS will also pick up us at the end of the cruise and bring us back to the Ft. Lauderdale airport.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like we will be in the area at the same time! My question for you is in regards to Hotwire. I have never booked with them, it looks like you don't know what hotel you book, you just get a brief description. How do you know that the hotel you pick will work for SAS transportation? Do they tell you what hotel you book right after you book? Looks like great prices though!

If you decide that you definitely want to stay at Hyatt Place, check out valuetrips for the best rates. Depending on the dates, it might cost no more than Hotwire, and you are choosing the hotel. I don't think any other 3-4* Hotwire hotels in the downtown area have free shuttles.

Kimberlymae,

This was the first time I used Hotwire, and I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about doing it! I saw a post here on CC about what criteria/strategy would give me the Hyatt (royalcruz: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077658&highlight=). I checked the map and saw that the Hyatt was located close enough to the airport (about 2 miles) that I could not see why SAS would not pick us up. We originally had a reservation at La Quinta (Ft. Lauderdale AP), which even with an AAA discount ($120.60), was higher in price than the Hyatt ($89). Also, we felt that staying at La Quinta, we would probably need to rent a car for the weekend. After I got the Hyatt through Hotwire (they let you know the hotel name after you secure your payment method). I also received an email confirmation from Hotwire. I double checked by confirming my reservation with Hyatt directly! I emailed Steve at SAS to be sure he could pick us up. He responded in a few minutes to let me know he made a change of location in our reservation, and he would indeed pick us up at the Hyatt. I cancelled our reservation at La Quinta, and we have decided that there are enough stores and transportation available to us near the Hyatt, we will not need the additional expense of a rental car!

Hope this helps!!:)

thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Wow, I am really starting to enjoy Cruise Critic :)

Unfortunately, the Hyatt is completely booked up on our arrival date ( I even called the hotel directly) but I booked them for 89 after our cruise...so that is exciting!

After calling a lot of hotels about our arrival date, I began realizing that the town is pretty booked on that night... I ended up going with a 3.5 star on Hotwire for $103 per night but it does not have Airport Shuttle. However, I am happy to even have a hotel!

• 2 weeks later...
thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Wow, I am really starting to enjoy Cruise Critic :)

Unfortunately, the Hyatt is completely booked up on our arrival date ( I even called the hotel directly) but I booked them for 89 after our cruise...so that is exciting!

After calling a lot of hotels about our arrival date, I began realizing that the town is pretty booked on that night... I ended up going with a 3.5 star on Hotwire for $103 per night but it does not have Airport Shuttle. However, I am happy to even have a hotel!

May I ask what hotel you got for the $103? And your ship/cruise date? I am currently checking out hotwire for miami hotels for end of January! (Is there any reason you chose to overnight in FLL instead of miami?)

We ended up getting booked at the Riverside Hotel for 103 dollars. We are on the Carnival Valor beginning on January 24th. We are staying overnight in Ft. Lauderdale on the 23rd. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale (cheaper flights and SW flies there). The reason we chose Ft. Lauderdale was due to the advice given to us by Steve from SAS. We now have to pay for only a shuttle from the hotel to the port. If we booked in Miami we would have to essentially pay to get to a Miami hotel on the 23rd, and then pay to get to the port on the 24th.

We ended up getting booked at the Riverside Hotel for 103 dollars. We are on the Carnival Valor beginning on January 24th. We are staying overnight in Ft. Lauderdale on the 23rd. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale (cheaper flights and SW flies there). The reason we chose Ft. Lauderdale was due to the advice given to us by Steve from SAS. We now have to pay for only a shuttle from the hotel to the port. If we booked in Miami we would have to essentially pay to get to a Miami hotel on the 23rd, and then pay to get to the port on the 24th.

Hey Kimberly!! We are on the same cruise - come over and visit us on the roll call and say hello! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1011646 (we're already on page 27!).

Sounds like you got a good rate at the Riverside - and the reviews are pretty good!: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34227-d114368-r47066936-Riverside_Hotel-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

But I think since it is downtown they do not have an airport shuttle??? So you may have to pay for a cab to get there anyways!!! (which equals one shuttle and one cab any way you look at it :))

I am also flying into FLL (also cheaper) but we are shuttling directly to MIA hotel (with free breakfast of course! :D)....then probably a cab to the port. I would get too nervous being in FLL and always want to be as close to the port as possible and leave as early as possible! (gotta start that vacation asap!).

Hey Kimberly!! We are on the same cruise - come over and visit us on the roll call and say hello! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1011646 (we're already on page 27!).

Sounds like you got a good rate at the Riverside - and the reviews are pretty good!: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34227-d114368-r47066936-Riverside_Hotel-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

But I think since it is downtown they do not have an airport shuttle??? So you may have to pay for a cab to get there anyways!!! (which equals one shuttle and one cab any way you look at it :))

I am also flying into FLL (also cheaper) but we are shuttling directly to MIA hotel (with free breakfast of course! :D)....then probably a cab to the port. I would get too nervous being in FLL and always want to be as close to the port as possible and leave as early as possible! (gotta start that vacation asap!).

We're on the Valor the week before you and we're also flying into FLL (also cheaper). We're thinking of staying in FLL because we don't get in until 7PM. How are you getting to MIA and at what time?

John

We're on the Valor the week before you and we're also flying into FLL (also cheaper). We're thinking of staying in FLL because we don't get in until 7PM. How are you getting to MIA and at what time?

John

I believe we r supposed to be landing around 4:30 pm (but I have very bad 'airplane luck' and rarely arrive when I am supposed to - ha ha ha)

I am aware of 2 shuttle companies recommended on cruise critic: SAS http://www.ridesas.com/index.html and easy express http://www.easyexpress.biz/ I don't think getting in at 7 pm would be a problem and if so I know there are other shuttle services availabel at the airport (e.g. super shuttle?) which could transport you if required.

If you get to the airport you can get 'your' hotel shuttle there or ask to be dropped off at your hotel if possible..... I have booked a 'backup' hotel in Miami, but currently studying the hotwire rates for the MIA airport area and there are still some good deals to be had!

Keep the ship in good shape for us :D

We won the Riverside on Priceline for $81 on Jan 15th- we also called Steve from SAS to book a shuttle- he is able to pick up at the hotel, but we had wanted to go early- he pointed out that the shuttles were picking up passengers getting off the ships in POM and then going to FLL, so he starts pick ups around 1100 (which seems obvious once I thought about it)- I'm not sure how far the Riverside is to the beach, thought we might walk around in the morning before the shuttle arrives-

We won the Riverside on Priceline for $81 on Jan 15th- we also called Steve from SAS to book a shuttle- he is able to pick up at the hotel, but we had wanted to go early- he pointed out that the shuttles were picking up passengers getting off the ships in POM and then going to FLL, so he starts pick ups around 1100 (which seems obvious once I thought about it)- I'm not sure how far the Riverside is to the beach, thought we might walk around in the morning before the shuttle arrives-

Great price! From what I have read there is lots of shopping and many restaurants in the area (Las Olas!).....but I too would want to leave earlier than 11 am - esp if I was coming from FLL!!! (plan on leaving our MIA hotel at 10 am and should be at the port by 10:30 am - let me on that ship!:p)

I hear really good things about the area also! We have an early evening flight so we thought we would stay in Fort Lauderdale. I believe Steve said that he would pick us up at 10:00 but I will have to double check, and he said it was a short ride to Miami. Hopefully all goes as smoothly as he assures me :)

Steve is right, Miami is much closer than I imagined. We stayed at Hyatt Place when it was Amerisuites. There are plenty of stores and restaurants around 17th St. If you walk up to the bridge the water taxi stop is underneath the bridge. We would like to stay at Riverside on our next trip because Los Olas is a great place to shop and eat. Don't get to POM too early because it can be a long wait in the hot sun.

Great price! From what I have read there is lots of shopping and many restaurants in the area (Las Olas!).....but I too would want to leave earlier than 11 am - esp if I was coming from FLL!!! (plan on leaving our MIA hotel at 10 am and should be at the port by 10:30 am - let me on that ship!:p)

I think you are going to need to leave earlier than 10AM to get to the Port of Miami by 10:30. That trip will be closer to an hour.

FWIW, The Riverside is an outstanding hotel. The best location in Fort Lauderdale.

I believe we r supposed to be landing around 4:30 pm (but I have very bad 'airplane luck' and rarely arrive when I am supposed to - ha ha ha)

I am aware of 2 shuttle companies recommended on cruise critic: SAS http://www.ridesas.com/index.html and easy express http://www.easyexpress.biz/ I don't think getting in at 7 pm would be a problem and if so I know there are other shuttle services availabel at the airport (e.g. super shuttle?) which could transport you if required.

If you get to the airport you can get 'your' hotel shuttle there or ask to be dropped off at your hotel if possible..... I have booked a 'backup' hotel in Miami, but currently studying the hotwire rates for the MIA airport area and there are still some good deals to be had!

Keep the ship in good shape for us :D

I'll try my best to leave the ship in one piece for you, but, no guarantees :D. By the time we get to FLL, I think everyone is going to be pretty tired. It'll be all day affair. I'm still trying to lock down a hotel. We're thinking of renting a car for the night and then have SAS just meet us back at the airport in the morning. Either way, we'll be on that ship :D.

John

Archived