Switching Cards in Cameras???

waterbugohio

Just wondered if someone can help me. Is there anything wrong with taking photos on one camera and then switching the SD card to another camera to read it.

had a friend take photos for us today. She just gave me her card, not her camera. Now I am home and the only way to get the photos into my computer is to put the card into my camera. Is there a problem doing this??

You can try it, but some brands of cameras use different folder structures to store the photos inside. Just be careful if your camera tries to format the memory card when you insert it, you'll lose all the photos. You could get a very cheap media card reader for less than $20 that will read all formats of cards, they plug into the USB port of your computer.

I have used the same card in different cameras which were different brands. They made a new folder for their own pictures, but didn't read the other pictures. When I reviewed my pics in the camera, it was as if the other pics didn't exist. I don't directly hook up my camera to a computer but use a card reader, so not sure how that would work. I echo jester though, cause some cameras can auto format even if that wasn't your wish. Also, depending on how you download when your camera is hooked up, it may do some strange things with the card, once again depending on your settings or the brand. DH's Fuji always got messd up by co-workers when they would download photos. Good luck. Buy a card reader.

most newer computers have a built in card reader...I bought an external card reader for my wifes laptop..then found the slot for reading cards on the front...black on black so hard to see if you don't know its there...I would go the card reader route as some cameras will autoformat and then you lose the pictures on the card.

Buy yourself a card reader. They are really inexpensive.

HERE is one of $3.99 with free shipping if you use the Coupon Code MLC400576110550A [Exp: 11/14/2009]

I've bought stuff from meritline.com before. Shipping isn't super-fast, but the price it right.

most newer computers have a built in card reader
I think that mostly applies to Laptops. And if OP doen't have a "newer" computer.......

I would go the card reader route as some cameras will autoformat and then you lose the pictures on the card.

I agree.

Just wondered if someone can help me. Is there anything wrong with taking photos on one camera and then switching the SD card to another camera to read it.

had a friend take photos for us today. She just gave me her card, not her camera. Now I am home and the only way to get the photos into my computer is to put the card into my camera. Is there a problem doing this??

If it works then it works.

I've rotated my CF in between a Canon and Nikon and had no issue reading both sets of images.

Different cameras will put there own filing system into it the card if you are writing them. Always a risk to corruption, I'd recommend that the safest thing is as everyone said, get a reader :)

Archived