I *think* I've come up with a brilliant idea....

I keep a little LED key chain type flashlight on the night stand. No light until you need it and then plenty of light to see your way . . . wherever. A really nice one with a metal barrel is a couple of bucks. I am still using the same one I bought two years ago.

In our never ending quest for a perfect solution to being able to see our way to the rest room in the night.......I think I've come up with a brilliant solution that I have never seen on the boards before! I may be mistaken, I'm sure someone will point it out if so:rolleyes:

In the past we've left the bathroom light on, and enough light is visible from under the door for a little night light. On the downside, once you actually open that door, it is blinding to everyone else in your cabin, not to mention to you once you are finally "seated" in said restroom! I'm thinking about taking along some glow sticks (bracelets, necklaces, real thin ones) on our next cruise. The seem to give off just enough light to maybe drop a couple on the floor leading to the bath, maybe a bracelet on the door handle, and 3 or 4 as a necklace for a nice warm glow inside of the bath so you aren't "blinded awake". Since you have to leave the light on for the electricity to work in the bathroom, you can't actually use a plug in night light like you would in a hotel.

I don't know, what do you all think?

I think its genius, but thats just me!:p

Since I am using a cell phone as an alarm clock I use my cell phone display as a flash light. It is amazing how much light a little display has when it is completely dark.

I'm thinking about taking along some glow sticks (bracelets, necklaces, real thin ones) on our next cruise. The seem to give off just enough light to maybe drop a couple on the floor leading to the bath, maybe a bracelet on the door handle, and 3 or 4 as a necklace for a nice warm glow inside of the bath so you aren't "blinded awake".

I don't know, what do you all think?

I think its genius, but thats just me!:p

I think it's a wasteful solution to a minor problem, and the burden of adding all those short lived plastic/chemical tubes in to the landfill is an unnecessary burden and cost to the environment. I try to teach my kids how to find solutions that are not only unnecessarily costly but also respectful of the environment.

I think a small penlight flashlight with recharging batteries could work quite nicely.

Do what my Urologist DH does. He brings a urinal jug. When nature calls at 2AM he sits up, plants his legs on the floor and goes right there at the side of the bed! No stubbed toes for him. Gross for me but.... he pays for the cruise.:eek:

Sorry - but that is absolutely disgusting.

I will never, ever again walk around a cabin without slippers or shoes. That is truly one of the least sanitary things I've ever heard anyone admit to here!

We always just bring along a couple of small flashlights and put one on each nightstand. (The disposable kind that cost about $2 - $3 each.) We prefer them to any kind of night light because the room stays dark when we are sleeping, but the light is right there within arm's reach should we need it to find the bathroom, or anything else.

The biggest advantage over a regular night light is that you can point it directly where you need the light. It is great for taking a pill, reading directions on medication, or finding anything in a drawer or bag in the middle of the night without needing to turn on cabin lights and awaken anyone else.

On days in port where we may need to find our way back after dark, we toss one of the flashlights into a day bag. It has also come in handy for reading the menu in dark restaurants and reading a road map in a dark rental car.

They last a long time and the light starts to dim very gradually, so there is plenty of advance warning to let us know if we should replace one before the next cruise.

Believe it or not I did this on our cruise 3 weeks ago...so you are not the first to come up with the idea,;).

For the late night pool party . I wore a glow-in the dark neck lace and ear rings....that night I hung the three together on a cabin cupboard knob...they glowed for the next five nights....I was shocked they lasted so long,usually they only last a day or two.

They did provide great night lighting in our D1 balcony.

I think it's a wasteful solution to a minor problem, and the burden of adding all those short lived plastic/chemical tubes in to the landfill is an unnecessary burden and cost to the environment. I try to teach my kids how to find solutions that are not only unnecessarily costly but also respectful of the environment.

I think a small penlight flashlight with recharging batteries could work quite nicely.

We do teach our children to be a green as possible, a flashlight doesn't cure the problem of needing a night light. I don't see the harm of a few glowsticks in the giant scheme of wastefulness on a cruiseship......I'll use a couple less straws to make up for it.:)

Believe it or not I did this on our cruise 3 weeks ago...so you are not the first to come up with the idea,;).

For the late night pool party . I wore a glow-in the dark neck lace and ear rings....that night I hung the three together on a cabin cupboard knob...they glowed for the next five nights....I was shocked they lasted so long,usually they only last a day or two.

They did provide great night lighting in our D1 balcony.

Drat!! Guess I won't be heading over to NASA anytime soon.....;)

My son, the Boy Scout, has an LED light that is attached to a head band. He uses that when he's camping so he can find his way to the restroom. I guess we'll be taking that with us in April. It wasn't that expensive and it's lasted quite a while. Of course he also uses it to read under his covers at night!:D That won't work for him on the cruise since he'll be sharing a bed with his brother.

I have enjoyed your thread, and this is a step above a minor problem. I don't want to wake the wife, and I do not want to be awakened by her, unnecessarily. Glow sticks and night lights are good ideas, Christmas lights are good too.

But, since the light switch is on the outside of the bathroom door, just getting to the door is only half the battle. I guess you would need one of the night life choices to be present and operational inside the bathroom.

Forgive me if someone mentioned this also, didn't have time to read through all 3 pages, but, I have a little key chain made of clear plastic that has a red led bulb in it. Some business gave it to me for advertizing. You just squeeze it and it lights. Almost not there, just a glow. You might look for something like that. I've seen them in Walmart, etc. Only costs a couple of dollars if that. It will never run out of juice and you can keep it on your bedside table.

Oops, there it is from mjdvlks...sorry

Forgive me if someone mentioned this also, didn't have time to read through all 3 pages, but, I have a little key chain made of clear plastic that has a red led bulb in it. Some business gave it to me for advertizing. You just squeeze it and it lights. Almost not there, just a glow. You might look for something like that. I've seen them in Walmart, etc. Only costs a couple of dollars if that. It will never run out of juice and you can keep it on your bedside table.

Oops, there it is from mjdvlks...sorry

2eogroj.jpg

Well it looks like you've solved the problem of being woken up from the light...now can you fix that loud flushing/sucking noise when you're done using the bathroom? :eek:

Thats what the duct tape is for.....your ears!

Err, I don't have a solution for that dilemma.....I guess they all must sleep through noise but not light! Whats wrong with them anyways?:confused:

You can wear your glow sticks to the M&M too! That is exactly what our group will be doing...all 8 of us! We are going to hang them on the bathroom door when we are done so we can find our way too....

great posts!

Great idea Michelle! If only the M & M was at night.....I am so going to be able to pick you out of a crowd!:D

Sorry - but that is absolutely disgusting.

I will never, ever again walk around a cabin without slippers or shoes. That is truly one of the least sanitary things I've ever heard anyone admit to here!

Whats the big deal urine is mostly sterile...you are probably the type that HAS to wipe down a public toilet too. Its no big deal :p

I have been switcing to the battery operated tea-lights- you can find them at Walmart in the Christmas stuff.

We use them in our faux/foam carved halloween pumpkin display and they even flicker a little bit. I think this would make a charming night light AND be nice for people who like the idea of having a 'candle' in their stateroom on a cruise.

Archived