Cape Liberty to Penn Station

ABay22000

Can you give me the name of the car service. Last year we were kicked out of 2 Taxi's at Penn Station Manhattan before a 3rd finally agreed to take us to Bayonne for $50. Once there he kept swearing because he had to wait in line for 20 minutes. I gave him $70 and he said he would never do the trip again even for $100. He was from Pakistan. I guess he could have made more if he stayed in his homeland. :mad:

Can you give me the name of the car service. Last year we were kicked out of 2 Taxi's at Penn Station Manhattan before a 3rd finally agreed to take us to Bayonne for $50. Once there he kept swearing because he had to wait in line for 20 minutes. I gave him $70 and he said he would never do the trip again even for $100. He was from Pakistan. I guess he could have made more if he stayed in his homeland. :mad:

New York Taxi drivers are NOT ALLOWED to refuse to take you anywhere. It you have a driver who refused to take you, tell him you want to be taken to the nearest police station to report him and then write down his name and number. He'll be happy to take you anywhere you want to gol

This is excerpted from the "Taxi Cab Rider Bill of Rights" posted on the NYC Govt Website:

"As a taxi rider, you have the right to: Go to any destination in NYC, Westchester, Nassau, or Newark Airport"

The only place in NJ that a NYC cab driver cannot refuse to take you is to Newark Airport.

It's a Sunday morning - that's good. However, you have to get off the ship quickly which means self-disembarking or ensuring you are in the first groups off (NP if you are a diamond member). There are no guarantees - if the ship is a little late or customs and immigration is slow you could be delayed. Where are you traveling to and when is the next train? You will have a much more relaxing end to a lovely cruise if you're not under pressure to make a train.

This is excerpted from the "Taxi Cab Rider Bill of Rights" posted on the NYC Govt Website:

"As a taxi rider, you have the right to: Go to any destination in NYC, Westchester, Nassau, or Newark Airport"

The only place in NJ that a NYC cab driver cannot refuse to take you is to Newark Airport.

Thanks for that info!

The only place in New Jersey that NYC yellow cabs (taxis) are required to take you is Newark Airport. The cruise port is in Bayonne, NJ, so yellow cabs have no obligation to take you between the ship and NYC.

I have used limo services many times to transport me between the cruise port in Bayonne and NYC, and have never had any problems. You arrange for them in advance, they know where they are going, no fuss, no bother. I suspect that I'm not permitted to put the names of the limo services on here, but in NYC, if you just keep your finger on a single number on the phone and press seven times, you'll probably get one of the limo services.

That being said, I think it unlikely, but not impossible, that you could make a 10:15 train. If you arrange for the limo a day or more in advance, and call them as soon as the first passenger is allowed off the ship, they'll probably arrive as you finish Customs. The dispatcher should be able to give you an idea of when you could arrive at Penn Station (NY or NJ).

Another advantage to the limo is that you will know exactly how much it will cost in advance. You may also be able to fnid a coupon for $3-$10 off.

Note also that you will have to go through the boarding process as well in Penn Station, no luggage inspectin as far as I know. And either have to get a red cap to help you with your luggage of schlepp it yourself down the escalator or down the stairs (a pain). There is one down escalator on 7th ave & 32d street (main entrance) or one down escalator on the corner of 8th ave and 31st street (closest to the Amtrak trains).

Archived