Britannia Dining--Upper or Lower Level

MerrylandCruiser

I notice the Voyage Personalizer has a check box to request an upper level table in Britannia. Is upper level preferable?

It is preferable to some. A couple of things to consider: breakfast and lunch are served on the lower level, so upper can be a nice change for dinner. On the other hand, if you are wedded to your table-size request, specifying upper may somewhat limit your odds.

In the spirit of being helpful and NOT meaning to cut off discussion, you may wish to peruse the following recent thread. I'm sure there was some heated debate therein, but I've not re-read it as I'm in the middle of lunch and do not wish to cause myself indigestion.:D

We finished a crossing last week and enjoyed being in the upper, but sat in the lower for open seating. Either one is good.

Best Wishes

This ship is our new favorite ship, yes it is a ship not a floating hotel.(thats what we want)

We just returned from a TA on October 29th. We sat on the lower level for dinner and loved it. We had lunch in the Britannia one day (just the two of us) and were seated upstairs by the window. We didn't like it at all, we felt really closed in and the ceiling seemed way too low.

Downstairs for dinner we were at a table for eight, and a wonderful group they were too. We were just to the side of the centre with the soaring ceiling and it truly felt like we were in a grand dining room. (Plus you get the chance to come down that sweeping staircase on formal nights if you wish and with a long gown you feel like a queen).

I wouldn't hesitate to request lower again, and would be disappointed if we were given upper. Just our opinion though.

My opinion is.. that it doesn't matter. What matters is who is at your table.

We were assigned to a table on the lower level waaay in the back, right next to the waiter's station near the kitchen. At first, I wanted to request a table change because you had all the waiters zipping by and the constant clanking of dishes and glasses. It was noisy, and the ambiance was the pits.

But.. we ended up hitting the table-mate lottery. We shared the table with four of the nicest people.. and two of them were funnier than the comedian on board. After that first night, I never even heard the background noise.. I was too focused in on the great conversation we were all having.

And.. I've become good friends with two of my tablemates, and plan to continue that friendship off the ship. I'm sooo glad I didn't switch tables!

We were assigned to a table on the lower level waaay in the back, right next to the waiter's station near the kitchen. At first, I wanted to request a table change because you had all the waiters zipping by and the constant clanking of dishes and glasses. It was noisy, and the ambiance was the pits.

But.. we ended up hitting the table-mate lottery. We shared the table with four of the nicest people.. and two of them were funnier than the comedian on board. After that first night, I never even heard the background noise.. I was too focused in on the great conversation we were all having.

And.. I've become good friends with two of my tablemates, and plan to continue that friendship off the ship. I'm sooo glad I didn't switch tables!

You are absolutely correct about tablemates making all of the difference--I have been quite lucky with this and am still in touch with tablemates from previous cruises and have plans to travel with some of them in 2010. I will say that I prefer the lower level of the Britannia dining room but then I am a bit claustrophobic and the lower ceiling on the upper level bothers me a bit.

We just returned from a TA on October 29th. We sat on the lower level for dinner and loved it. We had lunch in the Britannia one day (just the two of us) and were seated upstairs by the window. We didn't like it at all, we felt really closed in and the ceiling seemed way too low.

Downstairs for dinner we were at a table for eight, and a wonderful group they were too. We were just to the side of the centre with the soaring ceiling and it truly felt like we were in a grand dining room. (Plus you get the chance to come down that sweeping staircase on formal nights if you wish and with a long gown you feel like a queen).

I wouldn't hesitate to request lower again, and would be disappointed if we were given upper. Just our opinion though.

I couldn't agree more. We had a table in the upper level near a window on our last TA, but really much preferred being down on the lower level - TA before. We will be avoiding the upper level in the future.

Hi Chris,

I totally agree with what you are saying. If you have great tablemates and wonderful waiters the level of the dining room doesn't matter.

Beth

My opinion is.. that it doesn't matter. What matters is who is at your table!

Very wise advice. My preference is for the centre section downstairs under the dome - but a friend found it a bit noisy - so it really is a matter of individual preference. When you get to your cabin, check the card which will have your table assignment, go to the dining room to check it out - and if you are sure you won't like it, join the queue to get it changed - but as Surfgirl points out, you may be missing meeting new friends!

We have always dined downstairs and have loved it so I can't comment on upstairs from personal experience. Our last table for our crossing and Norway cruise in August was beside a window downstairs...it was heavenly. But we've not sat anyplace downstairs that we haven't enjoyed the location.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour...

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere

Archived