10 Sleeps left for first time cruisers!

Betty Rizzo

Makes you wonder where all the years went. They seem to have flown by.

We're going the month before our anniversary. I wanted to do the Adriatic one B2B with Greece and Turkey and we'd have sailed into Venice on our wedding anniversary. But Mrs. didn't fancy sailing so late in case the weather was bad.

Not muched changed on the Island Chat, had to laugh when I read about the new years eve deck party 60 & 70s disco ...wonder how people aged 60 & 70 go and will they let us younsters in (55) :p

Can't wait until next June/July .. even though the Outlaws will be with us for the 1st week :eek:

Reading the Island Chat has made me even more excited, we are going on the Christmas Carousel, and cant wait, its our first cruise too, and have read lots on the reviews and forums, and basically am going with no high expectations, but just a wonderful holiday, seeing lots of nice new places, with good food and staff!

Thanks for posting the Chat, really gives an insight

Hi there, like Pujro we arrived back to UK on 27th November :(

We had a fabulous time! Why was I so worried??!! Did not get seasick and so no need for medicines! :D

Apologies if I repeat what previous contributors have said but briefly:

Lovely weather.

Delicious food and plenty of it.

Cabins were dated but very clean and the steward, Ryan, tidied it at least twice daily (not that it needed doing of course). We were allocated a cabin on deck 6, for 3-4 people so there was plenty of space for us two. Beds were quite comfy. Nothing wrong with the plumbing in the bathroom!

Staff and crew were mainly excellent and saw to our every need (not that there were many 'probs'!). They seemed to work 24/7.

Entertainment was hilarious at times, usual pub/club/cabaret stuff. Our only gripe was the theatre shows. We never managed to see one. People were queueing for up to an hour to get in to ensure a seat. We had other things to do and didn't fancy queueing for all that time. Hope the management can sort out a better system. :( Also the 'dj' in the disco was annoying for some folks. :rolleyes: The parties on deck 10 were great fun though! The resident band, pianist, singer/guitarist, singing duo were quite good. What we saw of the young dancers, well they were excellent. We enjoyed doing bingo, quiz, etc and had a laugh with all our new friends!

Excursions can be booked on board, but book early some sell quickly! We only did one - Madeira up the cable car to Monte. The rest of the ports we accessed via taxi or walked.

There is Island chat newsletter to explain what's happening each day.

We had 'wake up calls' from the captain each morning which was good as we wanted to get up early (especially since we mostly partied till 2-3am!).

There was lots to do and no time for afternoon naps or breaks to read a novel or do a crossword on this holiday for us, but there are many folks who do relax and sunbathe instead of 'doing' the ports.

Was impressed with the security too.

I could go on forever!

We didn't want to go home and I am looking to book for next year!

The holiday is exactly what it says on the box, relaxed (for some!!), friendly, informal and that suited us just fine.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask

Bon Voyage

Betty :)

Thanks Betty, glad to hear you had such a great time.

A very good report and it's always good to get a different view from someone else. Especially as some of us have not been aboard since last year before Thomson's took over.

I bet you felt the cold and damp now you're back. :(

Only a week and a half for us now :D

Berwyn

Hi there, like Pujro we arrived back to UK on 27th November :(

We had a fabulous time! Why was I so worried??!! Did not get seasick and so no need for medicines! :D

Apologies if I repeat what previous contributors have said but briefly:

Lovely weather.

Delicious food and plenty of it.

Cabins were dated but very clean and the steward, Ryan, tidied it at least twice daily (not that it needed doing of course). We were allocated a cabin on deck 6, for 3-4 people so there was plenty of space for us two. Beds were quite comfy. Nothing wrong with the plumbing in the bathroom!

Staff and crew were mainly excellent and saw to our every need (not that there were many 'probs'!). They seemed to work 24/7.

Entertainment was hilarious at times, usual pub/club/cabaret stuff. Our only gripe was the theatre shows. We never managed to see one. People were queueing for up to an hour to get in to ensure a seat. We had other things to do and didn't fancy queueing for all that time. Hope the management can sort out a better system. :( Also the 'dj' in the disco was annoying for some folks. :rolleyes: The parties on deck 10 were great fun though! The resident band, pianist, singer/guitarist, singing duo were quite good. What we saw of the young dancers, well they were excellent. We enjoyed doing bingo, quiz, etc and had a laugh with all our new friends!

Excursions can be booked on board, but book early some sell quickly! We only did one - Madeira up the cable car to Monte. The rest of the ports we accessed via taxi or walked.

There is Island chat newsletter to explain what's happening each day.

We had 'wake up calls' from the captain each morning which was good as we wanted to get up early (especially since we mostly partied till 2-3am!).

There was lots to do and no time for afternoon naps or breaks to read a novel or do a crossword on this holiday for us, but there are many folks who do relax and sunbathe instead of 'doing' the ports.

Was impressed with the security too.

I could go on forever!

We didn't want to go home and I am looking to book for next year!

The holiday is exactly what it says on the box, relaxed (for some!!), friendly, informal and that suited us just fine.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask

Bon Voyage

Betty :)

Looks like another successful cruise ,, to all those people who knock her ..well we all cannot be wrong :rolleyes: just go with the focus on having fun

mrs.c

Thanks Betty, glad to hear you had such a great time.

A very good report and it's always good to get a different view from someone else. Especially as some of us have not been aboard since last year before Thomson's took over.

I bet you felt the cold and damp now you're back. :(

Only a week and a half for us now :D

Berwyn

Yes, Berwyn after reading so many negative views I wondered what we were letting ourselves in for but no worries at all. Feeling the cold now it's freezing up here and probably going to snow soon :(

Just been to travel agents for cruise brochures .... ;)

Betty

Hi Betty,

I know from your post you were busy doing things to sunlounge. But did you notice if people had trouble getting sunloungers while you were aboard.

Thanks.

Berwyn

Hi again Berwyn, I didn't notice any probs with sun loungers, there seemed plenty, and I didn't hear anyone complaining that there were not enough so you should be ok. We tended to sit outside beachcomber or sailaway bar. We found one of the most relaxing and quiet places to sit was around the decks under the lifeboats :)

Yes, Berwyn after reading so many negative views I wondered what we were letting ourselves in for but no worries at all. Feeling the cold now it's freezing up here and probably going to snow soon :(

Just been to travel agents for cruise brochures .... ;)

Betty

Yes, it's freezing down here too. We don't see much snow being at the seaside but apparently it's up on the mountains behind us.

We moved our September cruise on Thomson's Destiny to a balcony cabin with queen size bed on Princess Cruises Grand Princess for cheaper. And so we didn't lose our deposit with Thomson's have booked on their new ship (1986) the Dream in April.

Berwyn

Yes, it's freezing down here too. We don't see much snow being at the seaside but apparently it's up on the mountains behind us.

We moved our September cruise on Thomson's Destiny to a balcony cabin with queen size bed on Princess Cruises Grand Princess for cheaper. And so we didn't lose our deposit with Thomson's have booked on their new ship (1986) the Dream in April.

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn, that's interesting to know.

I've heard the Dream mentioned recently - was that previously called the Horizon?? I am going to investigate it!

Thanks Berwyn, that's interesting to know.

I've heard the Dream mentioned recently - was that previously called the Horizon?? I am going to investigate it!

No, she's part of the Costa fleet. the Costa Europa. She does her 1st cruise for Thomson on 22nd of April and we're on the week after.

Thanks for the info on the sunloungers, I'll pass it on. Sue who asked, contacted me by email and she's going this Friday.

Berwyn

Archived