Hotels in Rome & Athens

Millerhm01

We're taking Azamara's Holy Land cruise at end of May 2010, departing out of Rome and ending in Athens. Cruise line website has no pre & post-cruise listings yet on hotels. Plan to spend two nights in both cities, would like to be centrally located and stay in fairly nice accommodations. Recommendations sought, as the travel guides are driving me crazy with mixed messages! Also would welcome conversation with others who will be on the May 29th cruise, perhaps finding others interested in sharing tour guides in some of the ports. Thanks!

Howard Miller

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Here is a link to the "Roll Call" for your cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=991176

This is where you can connect with others who are on the same cruise with you.

As for hotels, I can't help in Athens, but in Rome you cannot go wrong with the Albergo del Senato. It's an excellent hotel in an excellent location, right next door to the Pantheon. You'll find numerous great reviews both here and on other travel boards. I've stayed there several times and love it. However, just be aware that it's very Italian in feeling -- it's not an American luxury hotel in Rome; it's a Roman hotel. :)

I second the Albergo del Senato. Anyone who doesn't think location matters, hasn't stayed in this hotel. Staying there at that hotel was a highlight of our trip to Rome. The service was incredible, and the nicest people in the breakfast room that we have encountered.

I want to go back now!:D

Remember, though, that Albergo del Senato can be quite noisy. I was interested in staying there (because of the fine location), but as I reviewed many posting on various websites, I found too many people who said it was not a quiet place. If you enjoy being in the thick of things, I imagine that hotel would be a wonderful choice. For us, peace and quiet trumps everything. Our next best bet was Capo d'Africa (also well located)-- but we had to nix that when we learned that they did not have king beds. (We can't do queens.)

Good luck with your search. We are still searching.

Remember, though, that Albergo del Senato can be quite noisy. I was interested in staying there (because of the fine location), but as I reviewed many posting on various websites, I found too many people who said it was not a quiet place. If you enjoy being in the thick of things, I imagine that hotel would be a wonderful choice. For us, peace and quiet trumps everything. Our next best bet was Capo d'Africa (also well located)-- but we had to nix that when we learned that they did not have king beds. (We can't do queens.)

Good luck with your search. We are still searching.

In fairness, I would not categorize Albergo del Senato as "quite noisy". Yes, it is in the center of things. However, I've stayed here several times, in different room categories, and with the windows closed you will hear very little if any noise from outside.

Here is a link to the Tripadvisor site, which features numerous reviews of the hotel:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d191099-r48392659-Albergo_del_Senato-Rome_Lazio.html#REVIEWS

Although Tripadvisor's ratings are constantly changing based on reviews, the Del Senato is almost always in the top 5 hotels in Rome (when I posted the above link it was at #3).

I first stayed at this hotel about 4 years ago. Interestingly, as more people have "discovered" it, the prices have increased. And now that prices are higher, there tends to be more quibbling in reviews over the small points (as there rightly should be). I wonder if their popularity isn't pricing them out of the market??

Anyway, I would suggest to the original poster that if you are interested in staying at this hotel, you're likely to find the best rates by contacting the hotel directly (via their website) rather than going through an online booking agency. I've always had very good luck doing this, particularly with hotels in Italy.

I first stayed at this hotel about 4 years ago. Interestingly, as more people have "discovered" it, the prices have increased. And now that prices are higher, there tends to be more quibbling in reviews over the small points (as there rightly should be). I wonder if their popularity isn't pricing them out of the market??

Based on recommendations here and on TripAdvisor, I have booked the Albergo Del Senato for next September for our pre-cruise stay at $190 Euros per night. That doesn't seem out of line for Rome although I admit I was shocked when I first began researching! I am very comfortable with everything I've read about the hotel--the location, the amenities, the personnel, and oh, yes, the rooftop bar!:) As you recommend, I did book straight through the hotel. In fact, I e-mailed them instead of going through the website. I just always feel better receiving that personal touch, and it gives me a feel for how responsive the staff is. This hotel was very responsive! I think we're going to be really happy here.

Archived