What's the best way to get from Vancouver to Seattle?

MizzouMary

Hi,

We're flying to/from Seattle, cruising out of Seattle and back into Vancouver. We would like to know if there's a ferry from Vancouver to Seattle, or should we rent a one-way car rental?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

There isn't a ferry. I would recommend Amtrak--two trains a day in either direction, beautiful scenery, comfy seats, and less headaches at the border than driving.

Thank you. I checked on the rate and it's $70 for two people, which doesn't seem too bad. Can you tell me how far the Amtrak station is from the Vancouver cruise port? Also, how far is the Amtrak station from the Seattle airport?

My MIL is not in very good health and can't walk to far. We were wondering if we should just rent a car in Vancouver. If we do, does anyone know if there's a car rental company close to the port there?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you. I checked on the rate and it's $70 for two people, which doesn't seem too bad. Can you tell me how far the Amtrak station is from the Vancouver cruise port? Also, how far is the Amtrak station from the Seattle airport?

My MIL is not in very good health and can't walk to far. We were wondering if we should just rent a car in Vancouver. If we do, does anyone know if there's a car rental company close to the port there?

Amtrak Station is less than $10 cab ride to either Vancouver cruise terminal. The problem is the Seattle end, where the Amtrack station is a fair distance from the airport ($35-40 cab ride).

The other option is http://quickcoach.com/ who offer a SEA Airport-Downtown Vancouver shuttle bus.

Scottbee is correct about the distance from rail to air. To rent a car one-way you will pay around $100. We have done this as we live in Seattle but have taken cruises from California to Vancouver and needed to drive home. We really didn't want to take the train (which we love) because it doesn't leave until 6:00 pm which after getting off the ship at 8:00 am (you miss the morning train that leaves very early) we would have to find a place to park luggage and then spend the day in Vancouver which post cruise we would just want to go home.

We found a rental car agency about four blocks from Canada Place in a hotel lobby. If you Google map cruise terminal in Vancouver and then click Search Nearby for rental cars, it will pick that up. It took me about 20 minutes to walk up to the rental car place (left my lovely bride at the pier with luggage), rent the car and drive back to pick her up. That is the closest you will find.

I cruised out of Vancouver in September and took the train from Seattle to Vancouver on the morning of the cruise and then again from Vancouver to Seattle the evening the cruise ended.

The train is comfortable and scenic and it is an easy cab ride to the pier. To Ballantyne pier, I paid $9.50 + tip one-way and only $8 the way back (less waiting in traffic) and Canada Place is just as close (if not closer). To Canada Place, if you have packed lightly, you can even take the "Skytrain" instead of a taxi for $2.50pp.

In Seattle, it is definitely an expensive cab fare from the airport to the train station, but if you've packed lightly, the express bus #194 ($2pp) is a quick, easy option as well as the new light rail ($2.50pp).

Edit: Oops, just noticed your MIL is traveling with you and can't walk far. Still, if the times are convenient for you, the train or Quickcoach are still just as cost effective as a car rental ($100 + gas). The train would be $40 for Seattle taxi, $70 for 2 train tickets, and $10 for Vancouver taxi = $120, whereas Quick Coach would cost 2 tickets @ $56 = 112. Also check for senior discounts or AAA if applicable.

Thank you so much to everyone who replied. I really appreciate your help! Does anyone know what the address is of the cruise ship pier?

Thanks again.

As a couple of people have pointed out, there are two cruise facilities in Vancouver. For the past few years, Norwegian (which you appear to be on) has operated out of Canada Place. However, nothing is guaranteed, and NCL might be operating out of Ballantyne next year. Nothing is set in stone until March/April when the port cruise calendar comes out.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.28939,-123.109167&spn=0.008551,0.022724&t=h&z=16

This map shows the location of Canada Place (as well as other important spots downtown)

We found a rental car agency about four blocks from Canada Place in a hotel lobby. If you Google map cruise terminal in Vancouver and then click Search Nearby for rental cars, it will pick that up. It took me about 20 minutes to walk up to the rental car place (left my lovely bride at the pier with luggage), rent the car and drive back to pick her up. That is the closest you will find.

Hi DrKobb,

Can you please tell me the name of the car rental agency? If it's Alamo, I found out they close at the end of Sept. and our cruise gets into Vancouver on Oct. 2nd, so if it was Alamo, that won't work.

Does anyone know of any other close car rental agencies close to the port? My MIL brings a lot of bags, so we would probably need two cabs from the Seattle Amtrak station to the Seattle airport, so we are thinking a rental car might be better for everyone. It would allow us a little more freedom on our trip back.

Also, can anyone recommend a hotel close or overlooking the Seattle cruiseport?

Thanks again!

I cruised out of Vancouver in September and took the train from Seattle to Vancouver on the morning of the cruise and then again from Vancouver to Seattle the evening the cruise ended.

The train is comfortable and scenic and it is an easy cab ride to the pier. To Ballantyne pier, I paid $9.50 + tip one-way and only $8 the way back (less waiting in traffic) and Canada Place is just as close (if not closer). To Canada Place, if you have packed lightly, you can even take the "Skytrain" instead of a taxi for $2.50pp.

In Seattle, it is definitely an expensive cab fare from the airport to the train station, but if you've packed lightly, the express bus #194 ($2pp) is a quick, easy option as well as the new light rail ($2.50pp).

Edit: Oops, just noticed your MIL is traveling with you and can't walk far. Still, if the times are convenient for you, the train or Quickcoach are still just as cost effective as a car rental ($100 + gas). The train would be $40 for Seattle taxi, $70 for 2 train tickets, and $10 for Vancouver taxi = $120, whereas Quick Coach would cost 2 tickets @ $56 = 112. Also check for senior discounts or AAA if applicable.

The 194 bus will be "going poof" next month. No longer going to the airport due to light rail station there coming on line.

Scott - NCL won't have a ship homeporting in Vancouver next year so the only ones we are likely to see are the early and/or late season repo or one nighter and where they dock could be at either pier.

Cheers

Dennis

Hello,

Check with your cruise line as they may have a bus going from Vancouver direct to Seattle's airport.

Two years ago my DW and I rented a car and drove from Seattle to Vancouver. This works well IF you want to spend at least one nignt prior to your cruise in Vancouver. Further, there is the border crossing which can be unpredictable in terms of time. A rental car does give you the flexibiilty to see and do more in Vancouver, and save you money because you can stay at hotels in Vancouver's outer neighborhoods.

Coming back to Seattle, HAL had a bus that took us from the cruise terminal (Canada Place) direct to Seattle's airport and this really worked out well. As I recall, we paid $50.00 per person for a very comfortable bus. I understand that there is also another company that provides this service even if the cruise line does not. The bus dropped us off within steps of the airline's check in counter.

The train, it seems to me, is for veteran travelers who know how to pack lightly and do not mind using taxis. The train is great but I am not sure that with your MIL, it is the best option at this time.

A word of caution...while it is only about three hours door to door from Vancouver's cruise terminal to Seattle's airport, do not book a flight home before 5:00 PM out of Seattle. There is heavy traffic in Vancouver, the border, and very heavy traffic all the time throughout the Seattle area and especially on I 5. You have to go through downtown Seattle to get to the airport.

Please also note that Seattle's airport is one of the best...reasonably priced restaurants and so on.

I was wondering why no one ever mentions the Tukwila stop for Amtrak. It is near to the Seattle airport, and seems much more convenient. Also, will we be able to take 1 suite case each on Amtrak if we are not a station that checks luggage?

I was wondering why no one ever mentions the Tukwila stop for Amtrak. It is near to the Seattle airport, and seems much more convenient. Also, will we be able to take 1 suite case each on Amtrak if we are not a station that checks luggage?

The early train (leaving Vancouver at 6:40 am) goes on to Tukwila; the afternoon train doesn't. You can't check baggage to or from the Tukwila station, so you'd have to handle it yourself (you can carry on two bags each). I'm not sure that any cabs meet the trains in Tukwila--you'd most likely have to call one. If none to this presents problems for you, it could be an option.

Do note that the Tukwila Amtrak station is not the same as the Tukwila light rail station. It's quite a bit farther form the airport, and there is no shuttle bus. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, not walking distance to much of anything. It mainly serves Sounder commuter trains, though the Cascades going south to Portland also stop there.

The early train (leaving Vancouver at 6:40 am) goes on to Tukwila; the afternoon train doesn't. You can't check baggage to or from the Tukwila station, so you'd have to handle it yourself (you can carry on two bags each). I'm not sure that any cabs meet the trains in Tukwila--you'd most likely have to call one. If none to this presents problems for you, it could be an option.

Do note that the Tukwila Amtrak station is not the same as the Tukwila light rail station. It's quite a bit farther form the airport, and there is no shuttle bus. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, not walking distance to much of anything. It mainly serves Sounder commuter trains, though the Cascades going south to Portland also stop there.

They have already removed the early train from the Amtrak schedule after February, so I am thinking that the BC government will only subsidize their portion through the end of the Olympics, then it will be gone, because WA state will not pay the Canadian Customs without assistance from the Canadian government.

The 194 bus will be "going poof" next month. No longer going to the airport due to light rail station there coming on line.

What a shame...I found it much more convenient than the light rail :rolleyes: Oh, well, thanks for keeping us all updated!!

My suggestion is the Quickcoach. It will pick you up at the pier and deliver you to Seattle airport. We did this in early Sept. and it was great---plenty of room for the luggage as well. Check out www.quickcoach.com

Can I please ask how long did it take from the time you boarded the coach to arrive at SEATAC? I am taking a Carnival Cruise next year and it docks at 7am. My flight from SEATAC is at 3.05am. Is that enough time?

The trip is supposed to take about 4 hrs (on a weekend--longer during the week) since you have to stop at the border crossing. We breezed thru the border crossing-- no line-- and the trip took 3 hrs, but that may be the exception and may not happen very often. You should be fine with a 3pm flight as long as there are no unusual delays with the ship arriving on time or customs delays.

Archived