Dancing on the Ruby

lyntony

We will be on the Ruby for the Dec 30th sailing, and we wonder if anyone knows about places on the ship where we can dance every night. We do ballroom type dancing. On our last cruise, The Wheelhouse Bar was such a disappointment. Apart from the fact that there was so much smoke, they had only one mediocre band playing, and there was a piano player the rest of the time.

Also, we would be pleasantly surprised if they have live steel drum bands.

Thanks

Lyndee and Tony

We will be on the Ruby for the Dec 30th sailing, and we wonder if anyone knows about places on the ship where we can dance every night. We do ballroom type dancing. On our last cruise, The Wheelhouse Bar was such a disappointment. Apart from the fact that there was so much smoke, they had only one mediocre band playing, and there was a piano player the rest of the time.

Also, we would be pleasantly surprised if they have live steel drum bands.

Thanks

Lyndee and Tony

We are on the same cruise. The Wheelhouse Bar and the Explorers lounge usually are the only places where you can dance. We are frequent Princess cruisers and also find it disappointing. We are going on the MSC Poescia big band cruise Dec 10. The last time we went on a MSC big band cruise there was ballroom dancing for the entire 10 nights.

Evelyn

I typed a reply, but I don't know where it went. Anyway, as I was saying:

Thanks for the info, and we really look forward to the steel drums.

Evelyn & Bob - look forward to seeing you on the ship. We are spending 6 months in Bonita Springs, so I don't think we are too far from you. We, also, have cruised a lot (getting close to 30 with Princess), and we are disappointed that the dance venues are not what they used to be.

When we cruised a few months ago on the Emerald, they had ballroom dancing each evening at about 5:00 p.m. for an hour or two. It was taped music, but it was better than nothing. We are not "professional" ballroom dancers - just like to have fun.

That taped music was in Club Fusion.

Lyndee & Tony

I typed a reply, but I don't know where it went. Anyway, as I was saying:

Thanks for the info, and we really look forward to the steel drums.

Evelyn & Bob - look forward to seeing you on the ship. We are spending 6 months in Bonita Springs, so I don't think we are too far from you. We, also, have cruised a lot (getting close to 30 with Princess), and we are disappointed that the dance venues are not what they used to be.

When we cruised a few months ago on the Emerald, they had ballroom dancing each evening at about 5:00 p.m. for an hour or two. It was taped music, but it was better than nothing. We are not "professional" ballroom dancers - just like to have fun.

That taped music was in Club Fusion.

Lyndee & Tony

We live in Weston. We are the first city when you are on 1-75 going east. This will be our 33rd cruise with Princess. We weren't even aware that there was dancing in Club Fusion. We liked it much better when there was a lounge instead of Club Fusion.

Evelyn & Bob

Look forward to seeing you on the Ruby. Since you like to dance, then it is probable that we have run into each other on past cruises. My husband is Italian, and I am really short, and we both have grey hair.

I must admit that I really don't like Club Fusion. I find it too dark and depressing. Having said that, we were grateful to be able to do a bit of dancing before dinner - since there was just a piano player in the Wheelhouse.

Lyndee and Tony

We're really sorry to hear that ballroom music was so bad on your cruise. We are dancers too, just back from the Ruby T/A in Oct, & were terribly disappointed in the dance offerings. This was an 18 day cruise & ballroom dancing is our main form of entertainment. There was taped music in Fusion at some point almost every day for about 45 min, but same tape every day. The Wheelhouse had a crooner & his back up band, ok, but they only played "sort of" fox trots, & swing types. The Princess Orchestra played occasionally, but they obviously thought ballroom dance was boring, & like to jazz it up so much it was hardly danceable. Also the brass in in this orchestra played so loud it hurt dancing in front of them. We were hoping that these poor ballroom dance venues were just because it was a t/a cruise. Between that & the liberal smoking policies on Princess, this was probably our least enjoyable cruise (our 35th), & we usually are the type to roll with the flow. Hope to hear from other dancers that this was not the case on their cruise. I would hate to think this is a new trend.

we are booked on the Crown Princess in July and are very dissapointed at reading posts about lack of dancing space/music. Like jconeil - we love to dance. It is our main form of entertainment. We certianly arent professional - we just love it.

I wonder what cruise lines offer better venues/areas for us dancers.

I'd be interested in finding out - I might cancel our cruise in light of a better option.

My understanding is that Wheelhouse is now non-smoking. I don't know what the current situation is in Wheelhouse but when we were on the Ruby TA in April we had the best ever band in Wheelhouse (Tempo Quatro - spelling??) - and great bands in Club Fusion, Explorer's and even the music in the Atrium was outstanding. It was our best dancing cruise ever. I know for sure that Phoenix Rising is in the Wheelhouse right now on the Crown. So I think there are still three live bands at night, most of the time, in Club Fusion, Explorer's and Wheelhouse. The Princess Orchestra also plays a lot of ballroom at various times throughout the cruise. All of this is based on our April sailing on the Ruby - maybe things have drastically change, but I hope not!!!!!

I know we are all different, but we have been on a number of cruises where The Bruce Gordon Trio has been in the Wheelhouse. We find it almost impossible to dance to his music, and he appears to be arrogant.

I am hoping he leaves the ship before we arrive, but, if not, we will work around it as always - and have a great time!

Lyntony

The Wheelhouse Bar dance floor on the Ruby is too small for anything other than a cha-cha or rhumba. The band is OK and will oblige if you ask.

The early evening pre-dinner ballroom was in Club Fusion is taped music with very little variety (no quick step when we were there the whole voyage) but the floor is a reasonable size. However, be prepared for dodgems. The majority of the "dancers" had no idea that you should move around in an anti-clockwise direction in ballroom. Consequently it was almost impossible to do anything but basics and then you were likely to get obstructed after a few steps.

Still, it was fun trying.

I hear that the Bruce Gordon Trio is in the Wheelhouse Bar on the Ruby right now. I hope it is non-smoking! And, I am hoping that there will be some good bands onboard when we sail in a few weeks.

If anyone knows which bands are (or will be), on the Ruby I would love to hear more.

I know that Junction 21 is on board right now (they do a mix of 50's, 60's. 70's, 80's, Country Nights and Abba tributes. They get off on 14 November. Hope this helps.

Thanks Wishful !

I am thinking that, at this date, you must mean Dec. 14th.

That is when we board!!!

Anyhow, if they are the Pop/Disco band, then that doesn't matter as much to me.

If they will be replaced with a more traditional band (more traditional ballroom type of dancing) then that will be what I am hoping for.

Even though I can't really dance a Salsa, Rumba, Cha Cha, Waltz, or anything else!!!!!! Hahahahahah!!!

Thanks Wishful !

I am thinking that, at this date, you must mean Dec. 14th.

That is when we board!!!

Anyhow, if they are the Pop/Disco band, then that doesn't matter as much to me.

If they will be replaced with a more traditional band (more traditional ballroom type of dancing) then that will be what I am hoping for.

Even though I can't really dance a Salsa, Rumba, Cha Cha, Waltz, or anything else!!!!!! Hahahahahah!!!

Yes, meant 14 December. My head is all over the place at the moment. Sorry. Hope you get what you want regarding dance music. We love to dance too.

Archived