Planning Confusion

lauriebird

Double wammie here. First time cruiser and not very well traveled in general. But trying to learn.

I thought I would be able to plan a trip for this summer 2010. But have now noticed that many people are now talking about plans for 2011, yet the sticky note above is still talking about the 2009 cruise schedules???

The "Sticky" was written March 2009 - and the 2009 Alaska season is over.

2010 is now well underway and there is much activity even though the first Alaska cruise is months off......

However even though very few cruise lines have published their 2011 schedules, people continue to dream....

Have fun with your plans - Alaska is a beautiful place to visit! :)

Laurie - yes, you'll have plenty of time to plan for 2010 trip to AK if that is your choice. All cruiselines have 2010 schedules out now. Your first step is to decide how much time you can spend. If 7 days is it, then a round trip Seattle or Vancouver is the cruise for you. If you can spend more and have the desire to do some interior touring, you could book a north (or south) bound cruise and spend some time in Alaska (maybe Denali? or Seward? or Homer? area) prior to sailing southbound, or vice-versa. There is also a 14 day roundtrip Seattle cruise that HAL has for 2010 - we're on the May 31st sailing on that itinerary - and its a good one! Important to check is the time in ports on whichever cruise you choose - the longer the better.

Decide if wildlife, scenery, or glaciers are your priority - this will affect which cruise is right for you. Glacier Bay is supposed to be a stunning trip (we'll find out next June!), and Hubbard Glacier is amazing as well, depending on when in the season you go there. Timing is everything with Tracy Arm cruising - early in season cruise ships usually get iced out and are diverted to other less spectacular arms to sail.

Get some travel books - Fodors and Frommers are my favorites - read up on what Alaska has to offer. There is MUCH to choose from. Whale watching in Juneau or Icy Straight Point is a must if that is of interest. There is flightseeing via helicopter to glaciers w/add on dog sled rides on the glacier. There are dogsled cart excursions (on land, no snow) that are much cheaper than the helicopter/dog sled on glacier options. Fishing in some ports depending on your travel time frame can be very good. Hiking and kayaking in many ports is varied and interesting. Seeing the totem poles in Sitka or Ketchikan, the train in Skagway, or renting a car to drive up to the Yukon in Skagway is an option as well. Flightseeing over Misty Fjord in Ketchikan is quite an experience! So much to do, so little time! :p

Read, read, read these boards - you'll get ideas for things you might enjoy that you hadn't thought of. The choices can be overwhelming, but Alaska is so worth the time and effort you put into planning!!! Next May 31st will be our third trip back, and we've already begun tentative plans for 14 days self-planned land trip in 2012. It gets into your blood, its almost magical there! Stunning scenery, amazing wildlife and adventures abound. Good luck in your planning process, and come back with more questions once you've narrowed down your choices a bit. Folks on this board are very knowledgeable (particularly Budget Queen, PennyAgain, Yukon, Bearbait, Susan in Anchorage, to name a few) and are very willing to share their experiences and offer advice. Good luck and happy planning!

Well I not only look but also feel confused in regards to planning our 1st cruise. I have noticed that people are planning their cruises now for trips in 2011. I thought I was on the right path in thinking that a cruise for the summer of 2010 would be fine to book between now and Jan or Feb. Am I missing the boat here?

Also, sticky notes above this board are talking about Alaska cruises for 2009. ???

Some people book that early to get a certain cabin or to have a longer time to pay off the balance. Some people just like knowing that they have someting booked and something to look forward to. You have plenty of time to book for a summer cruise. I went last July and booked in either February or March, I can't remember. I had no trouble getting a cabin I was happy with. I believe there will be less ships in Alaska this year though.

I wouldn't worry about waiting if you are not particular about having a specific cabin.

From my perspective, the "way early bookings" are a way of dreaming when you can't afford to, or don't have time to, cruise as often as some on this board do. It gives plenty of time to search out what's the best for you. You also get first choice of cabins and early booking discounts. Then, if prices drop, you can call the cruise line (assuming you book with them or with a TA that will honor price reductions) and get your fare lowered, so you get the best of both worlds in price. I dream about and plan the cruise for the year prior to the cruise. It's part of the enjoyment.

Archived