Another boring tipping question-bartenders

mnbruce

We don't want to be bothered with carrying cash around the ship for tips, but we usually do add a little extra when signing the receipts at the bar. If the tab is like $12.07, we'll round up to $13. If it's more like $12.75, we may make it $14. You get the idea. I guess we do this because we normally tip around 20% at bars and restaurants at home so we feel adding a little extra makes up the difference from 15% to 20%. I suppose doing it this way may avoid making people "uncomfortable" too, since they won't even know you're doing it. It's not as obvious as throwing cash down. To each his own. I can't imagine feeling uncomfortable at other people's tipping practices.

What a good idea, sometimes we hunt the ship looking for people

The last couple cruises we found ourselves becoming frequent visitors to some of the lounges. On the Emerald, we had a daily martini at Crooners and were very well taken care of by Mullah. He would watch for us and have a table waiting every evening. He always knew what we wanted for our "before dinner drinks" and was more than accommodating. Last Spring, on the Coral, we spent several evenings dancing with our new CC friends in the Explorer's Lounge and were well taken care of by Olga. At the end of each cruise these two got an envelope with a little extra because they extended themselves to make our cruise even better than it was. Under normal circumstances we, too, will let the 15% ride unless we spend an entire evening with the same server. We always make sure we have cash on hand to extend our appreciation for superior service.

How many times do people think they have to tip? The tip is added in already and tipping more is for show, so yes you would make your guests feel awkward.

You couldn't be more wrong. My sister is a very generous tipper simply because she remembers what it was like to struggle financially. Now that she doesn't have to struggle to make ends meet, she just wants to help others who might be struggling. I consider myself an average tipper. I don't feel the least bit awkward when I'm with her and she tips more than I do. I'm actually very happy that she is able to do it and it makes her happy to help others.

You couldn't be more wrong. My sister is a very generous tipper simply because she remembers what it was like to struggle financially. Now that she doesn't have to struggle to make ends meet, she just wants to help others who might be struggling. I consider myself an average tipper. I don't feel the least bit awkward when I'm with her and she tips more than I do. I'm actually very happy that she is able to do it and it makes her happy to help others.

:D I like that!

Thanks to all for your responses. It's nice to see everyones approach to the subject.

Archived